6.5 156 EOL

Well, tis the season!!!

My dad used his .264 wm to take this doe pronghorn last night at 630 yards, nothing new here, bullet did great. Muzzle velocity is 3080 fps, impact velocity was 2395.

There was about a 4 mph wind at the shot, .5 MOA was dialed to account for that. However he said when the shot broke, he was a little far back, and the impact reflected that. Bullet went in 2 ribs in from the back, and exited where you can see in the photo, slightly quartered away. The bullet still made up for it, destroyed the liver and the back of the lungs, speed goat speeded about 75 yards before it slowed down, took a wide stance, got unstable and tipped over.

It was late when we were processing it, so I didn't get any photos, but as it was just rib impact/exit, no serious meat damage or loss, very minimal. Internal damage was extreme, half the lungs were jelly, the liver was shredded, and unfortunately the paunch was opened up. But, we were still able to keep it pretty clean with a good rinse out in the field, we always take several large water jugs to clean them out, so any residue that was inside the animal was cleaned out promptly and not allowed to dry on the insides, making for an easy clean up.

Bottom line, the 156 is still working great!

And as always, goat hunting is a family event!
20220903_194316.jpg

That is a great post! I think the little girl is the most excited.
Is that a Ruger? If so
Yup, ruger M77 MKII, purchased in 1995. Started life as 300 win mag with the boat paddle stock. I parted it together with a 7.5 twist 26" krieger #5+, timney trigger and boyds pro varmint stock for my dad. Weighs about 12 lbs, pretty much a dedicated pronghorn or lowland deer gun. It is a very shootable rifle, one of those that just does exactly what is asked of it, and is a consistent sub half MOA shooter, usually hangs around the .3's, it came together better than I expected.

Nice rifle!

I haave a Ruger Number 1 .264 but alas Ruger made it with a 1-9, so it it is a MPBR "point and shoot" Deer, Hog, Black Bear rifle for Arkansas hunting, I have a .257 Wea. in a N1 as well for the same purpose.
I have thought of getting a 264 bolt gun but I just got a really good deal on a 6.5PRC Tikka Roughtech 1-8. I will see how it does.

Well, tis the season!!!

My dad used his .264 wm to take this doe pronghorn last night at 630 yards, nothing new here, bullet did great. Muzzle velocity is 3080 fps, impact velocity was 2395.

There was about a 4 mph wind at the shot, .5 MOA was dialed to account for that. However he said when the shot broke, he was a little far back, and the impact reflected that. Bullet went in 2 ribs in from the back, and exited where you can see in the photo, slightly quartered away. The bullet still made up for it, destroyed the liver and the back of the lungs, speed goat speeded about 75 yards before it slowed down, took a wide stance, got unstable and tipped over.

It was late when we were processing it, so I didn't get any photos, but as it was just rib impact/exit, no serious meat damage or loss, very minimal. Internal damage was extreme, half the lungs were jelly, the liver was shredded, and unfortunately the paunch was opened up. But, we were still able to keep it pretty clean with a good rinse out in the field, we always take several large water jugs to clean them out, so any residue that was inside the animal was cleaned out promptly and not allowed to dry on the insides, making for an easy clean up.

Bottom line, the 156 is still working great!

And as always, goat hunting is a family event!
View attachment 392026
I'm sure they work well over 3k fps. I just can't push them fast enough.

Few more goats down!!!

So the first one was my nephews first buck, he wasn't going to be very picky so the first decent one they found got the 156. Again, these are all from the .264 win mag, 7.5 twist, 3080 fps.

Range was 568 yards, and he made a perfect heart shot. Nicked the humorous bone on entrance, only rib on exit, and blew the heart entirely out of the body. The heart was literally laying on the ground where it had blown out the exit hole! Goat took two steps and face planted in a massive pool of blood, as you can see -

IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7456.jpg

Exit wound -
Resized_20220917_113336_551.jpeg

IMG_7454.jpg

To say it was effective would be an understatement ha ha. The next two my sister got were quite interesting.....

They snuck up over a ridge on the edge of the field the skittish goats were in, and ranged them at 560 yards, almost the same distance as the buck. There was a doe standing alone, or so they thought. Unbeknownst to them, there was a fawn standing directly behind her.....My dad only had his rangefinder, and my sister was looking through the scope and didn't notice the extra set of legs as she got ready for a quick shot, they must have been lined up pretty close. She made a good, front shoulder impact, as you can see from the pics. My sister didn't see the doe drop in her tracks, but once she got back in the scope, she saw the fawn run, and go down. But my dad was watching through his rangefinder, and saw the doe drop at the impact.....they were a little shocked when they found two! My dad said the fawn looked like it had been hit with buck shot, jacket and core shrapnel penetrated the fawn from about the rear of the lungs back to the hip. It ran about 75 yards and went down! The jacket and core shrapnel penetrated about 3/4 of the body depth. Thankfully, a call to our local game warden wasn't needed, as my sister had two doe/fawn tags to fill anyway.

Entrance side on doe -
Resized_20220917_163128_9592.jpeg

Exit side on doe, and the fawn ha ha -
Resized_20220917_163733_2637.jpeg

We told her not to worry about it, these 156's are getting hard to find, and she just saved us a bullet! As you can see, typical performance we see on these 156's and goats, pretty much a perfect match. Impact speeds were all about 2470 fps. Gotta love it!

Last edited:

Recent Posts