156 EOL/6.5 CM For Elk

Didn't know rocky mountain elk hung out at sea level. Maybe adjust your baro settings.....

The figures come from the Hornady website, which only lists the test barrel length. I haven't adjusted any data.
The CM crowd lives up to their reputation. Can't accept apples to apples comparison.

Use whatever floats your boat. I think there are better options, but I hope you have great success with all your hunts. I'm out.

I really think guys need to remember the bullet does the killing, the cartridge is simply a launcher. This forum has become sooo cartridge centric when we used to be about the fact of the bullet on impact, real data points, the one that you get blood on your hands getting not some passive aggressive YouTube battle.
That 156 has a sectional density in the range of the Berger 215, 7mm 180 or 338 250, there is no way that it's not going to wreck elk, what you launch it with just determines your comfortable range bases on you feelings or if your fact based you real world observation.
The only hesitation I'd have with a 156 in a Creed on an elk at 5-600 yards is the time it takes to get a good wind read, other than that it's a done deal!!
I've absalutely taco'ed bulls beyond 800 with a hotter 6.5 with 140's, we've been shooting 150 and 160 Matrix for years and it's a whole other level!!
Last year a buddy cycled shooters on his Creedmore and they had better than a dozen one shot kills out to 500 with 140's, a 156 just add more joy!!

Any more load details? Group size and brass/primer? Going to be tough to move away from factory match...shoots in the .1's and .2's. For a guy who has hand loaded nearly everything for the past 20 years, buying factory ammo for a precision LR rig is a strange concept.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is actually a fairly new arrival to my collection. All started when one of my grandsons ended up with one and needed some custom ammo for his hunt. The 142 ABLR and 143 ELD-X worked so well that I stayed with them until trying the 156 EOLs a short time ago. With a MV of 2660 (22" barrel) and the energy they carry down range they quickly took front stage. I use Lapua brass for the CM and CCI 450 primers. I didn't worry about seating depth; just fit to magazine length of 700 SA. 41gr H4350 has been a good load for both CMs I have tested. Accuracy is excellent. I have a difficult time saying what MOA any of my hunting rifles shoot since it varies so much on conditions but can generally shoot under 2" groups at 300 yards on calm/cool mornings. Accuracy with the 156s has not been an issue with any of the 6.5 rifles I have tested.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is actually a fairly new arrival to my collection. All started when one of my grandsons ended up with one and needed some custom ammo for his hunt. The 142 ABLR and 143 ELD-X worked so well that I stayed with them until trying the 156 EOLs a short time ago. With a MV of 2660 (22" barrel) and the energy they carry down range they quickly took front stage. I use Lapua brass for the CM and CCI 450 primers. I didn't worry about seating depth; just fit to magazine length of 700 SA. 41gr H4350 has been a good load for both CMs I have tested. Accuracy is excellent. I have a difficult time saying what MOA any of my hunting rifles shoot since it varies so much on conditions but can generally shoot under 2" groups at 300 yards on calm/cool mornings. Accuracy with the 156s has not been an issue with any of the 6.5 rifles I have tested.
Dang you get 2660 with a 156 in a 22? Impressive.

Son shot his bull this year at 400 yards with a 140 vld that left the muzzle at 2670 fps. Bullet hit bull's onside shoulder, busted it, traveled through lungs and was found under skin behind offside shoulder. Impressive. Hope to try a 156 eol soon.

My 6.5 got a cow elk last year at 550 yards. It's definitely not the ideal caliber for Elk, but it will work at medium distances.

I have been working up CM loads for the 156gr Berger and am finding this to be a great combination with both accuracy and energy potential (MV 2660 with energy at 500 yards or 1558). This is a small 8lb setup with scope and the accuracy from the 156 Berger as good as I have seen. We had our first experience using the 156 in this CM yesterday when my grandson dropped a nice buck at 440 yards with a great pass through shot on the shoulder; it dropped like a rock. These young kids we are raising don't know it is suppose to be difficult to make longer shots. He just ranged it and figure about 15 mph of wind (Up 4 on the elevation turret over 3 on the reticle from the trusted shooter app). We have been taking Bull elk with 6.5-06 and 6.5 PRC using 140 class for the past few years with great results and the boys want to use the Creedmoor for elk.
I recently heard of a group of fellow hunters suggesting if a 6.5 caliber was being considered a 6.5-06 AI or larger would be required for elk in order to deliver the needed energy (1500 lbs in their book) but wouldn't trust the creedmoor at any distance. Why are some trying to discredit the Creedmoor? It has the same velocity and 1500 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards as the AI does at 700 and many say they seldom take over a 500 yard shot. The success of the smaller caliber, high SD/BC hunting pills has been as reliable on elk as anything we have used at distances out to about 800 yards (we would limit the kids to 500 yards or less for elk). The negative rhetoric toward the Creedmoor is swaying hunters and has essentially become an affront to their manhood in some circles. They won't even pull the trigger on one. Really? Seems those offended by Hornady's marketing and a man bun are effectively swaying the masses. Just wondering if anyone has taken an elk within 500 yards with an 156 EOL from a Creedmoor and be comfortable enough talking about it. Man bun is okay.
One thing these nay sayer's forget or just do not know is the Grand dad of the Creedmoor is the 6.5x55mm Swede.
In Europe and Africa it was used to shoot all manner of game from Boars to Eland, Zebra, and all plains game.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is the same grade of grease but with the improvements in bullets and powder both are better now than before.
The 6.5 CM is a fine cartridge for both targets and game, not the best over all however here where I live I would not hesitate to shoot anything on four legs with in my sure hit range with the proper bullet chosen.
New and younger or smaller stature or for that matter large individuals that are recoil sensitive can benefit from the 6.5 CM.
There are those that cuss the .30-06 or the 7mm Magnum, each person must make up their mind on what to carry.
As a Gunsmith and ammo builder I get to hear quite a bit of this vs. that.
The heavy for caliber bullets such as the 156 Berger or the 156 Norma have a lot going for them in the realm of hunting and the156 EOL Berger is also great on targets.
The 6.5 CM is to the 6.5 x55mm SE just as the 7-08 is to the 7x57mm all are great choices, NAY SAYER'S BE DAMNED!

One thing these nay sayer's forget or just do not know is the Grand dad of the Creedmoor is the 6.5x55mm Swede.
In Europe and Africa it was used to shoot all manner of game from Boars to Eland, Zebra, and all plains game.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is the same grade of grease but with the improvements in bullets and powder both are better now than before.
The 6.5 CM is a fine cartridge for both targets and game, not the best over all however here where I live I would not hesitate to shoot anything on four legs with in my sure hit range with the proper bullet chosen.
New and younger or smaller stature or for that matter large individuals that are recoil sensitive can benefit from the 6.5 CM.
There are those that cuss the .30-06 or the 7mm Magnum, each person must make up their mind on what to carry.
As a Gunsmith and ammo builder I get to hear quite a bit of this vs. that.
The heavy for caliber bullets such as the 156 Berger or the 156 Norma have a lot going for them in the realm of hunting and the156 EOL Berger is also great on targets.
The 6.5 CM is to the 6.5 x55mm SE just as the 7-08 is to the 7x57mm all are great choices, NAY SAYER'S BE DAMNED!
Amen Brother

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.