Bear spray vs Bullets

Where I hunt in Grizz country, grizzlies are protected and there are way to many of them and they are now coming to the sound of a gun because they know there may be a dead animal on the ground.

If you were skinning a moose or an elk knowing that, which would you prefer to have beside you while you are taking care of your animal a defender or a can of pepper spray?

Not exactly sure what you mean by "defender". But for me it would be something on my person and not something I had to lay down somewhere ie, a rifle or shotgun. Even though I do keep my rifle loaded and close I still would want a handgun or spray can on my person. I have been in this situation in grizzly country and I have chosen spay at time and firearm at other times. This year I have not taken bear spray with me at all. The reason I haven't taken spary is because my confidence is higher in my pistol at time because of the reliability of the revolver vs spray. I haven't carried a shotgun while biggame hunting but I believe that is probably the very best bear defence. I just haven't wanted to carry a rifle and shotgun

ok I just read all 266 replies, very interesting to say the least. I don't worry much about bears where I hunt and definitely not grizzlies but this is one of those topics that's irresistible, and maybe some day I'll git to hunt in a place where this is a concern.
So here are some observations
most sprays have a maximum of 40ft and minimum of 15ft that's a small window. they hold enough for 8seconds of spray or 3 2.5sec. bursts but realistically a charging bear (assuming 30mph) is traveling 44fps will be in that 40- down to 0ft window for only 1 second. Also the sprays work by irritating the eyes and respiratory system but the spray sprays out in a fairly wide pattern and a bears eyes and nose are only a few square inches combined so how much is he really going to get running through that cloud for 1 second? but even assuming it does get in his eyes at the 40ft mark and he shuts his eyes he wouldn't have to much trouble running that last 40ft with his eyes closed and knocking me down and once he's on top of me the spray is about useless atleast it seems unlikely that I'd be able to reach around and give him an eye full, my only hope is that he starts feeling sick and leaves.

bullets can be deployed at 30yd at 20yd at 10yd at 5yd at 2in.
and in the case of a handgun from underneath the bear with the muzzle against fur as in the case someone mentioned much earlier in the thread.

now the statistics do seem to prove that sprays are effective but for me the edge seems to go to bullets. maybe it's just a perceived advantage but it makes me feel better to have cold Steel in my hand. especially after hearing that dude spray cans are not unheard-of.

I'll have 6 please and make that a Magnum.

A very important thing to contemplate while discussing alternatives for bear defense is this: in order to "stop" a bear with with a bullet you are going to have to hit his Central Nervous System (Brain or spinal cord) which is an exceedingly small target well disguised with fur and fat and well protected by muscle and bone. Your chances of doing this are very small. It happens so quick and you are likely to be in shock and awe mode (on the receiving end!). Now your chances of placing an eventually fatal wound are much greater but the bear will have plenty of time before his or her demise to chew and claw you to mincemeat.

But in your last moments at least you will know "you got that sucker too".

Hey, It has been a good post and gives people something to think about, and an option.

I have nothing against bear sprays, I just prefer a large caliber weapon for protection. If I were going into bear country, I would "Prefer" to carry a rifle and a large handgun, or a shot gun and a hand gun. the hand gun would be for that last ditch situation.

And even though I prefer a revolver for dependability, a dependable double action Simi auto would be ok if it were carried loaded with one in the chamber, and had plenty of power.

J E CUSTOM

I wonder how many guys with actual bear charging situations feel that there is time deploy a second defence measure in an honest charge.

Hey, It has been a good post and gives people something to think about, and an option.

I have nothing against bear sprays, I just prefer a large caliber weapon for protection. If I were going into bear country, I would "Prefer" to carry a rifle and a large handgun, or a shot gun and a hand gun. the hand gun would be for that last ditch situation.

J E CUSTOM

This is a great thread! kept me busy for like 2hr just reading through it. :)
an excellent case on both sides as I read through it first I was leaning towards bullets then spray then bullets again. in the end I would feel more comfortable with spray than I did before.
But I'm still wondering if someone could build us a bullet with a cyanide capsule inside.:D

Thanks for posting the link to another failed bear spray incident. That story's a real confidence booster on the effectiveness of bear spray.

I've never purchased a can of bear spray in my life. No plans to either. Why carry around a can that may or may not fire its contents, and if it does fire, may or may not deter the bear.

I'm beginning to feel the bear spray works on the powder puff bears. And that the serious bears, the ones intent on physically immobilizing or killing me, will only be stopped by death. I'll be spraying lead, not pepper.

Too many failures with the spay. Seems like a bad choice for me at this point. Probably the best option for someone not capable defending themselves with a firearm but I'm now putting my safety behind a big hardcast bullet.

............Thanks for posting the link to another failed bear spray incident. That story's a real confidence booster on the effectiveness of bear spray.

The thought occurred to me-won't say it's right or wrong, but populations of both grizzly and black bear on the rise. More people are carrying the spray, and having more contact Are we going to see a change in effectiveness as the "study group" gets bigger?

Will we see more instances of spray failing as aged product is used? I suspect they'll be maintained like fire extinguishers, or smoke detecters. Which reminds me.....:D

He's badazz in my book!

He's all over FB.

He's a Montanan, just brushed of two grizzly attacks, hikes out and drives is butt to the hospital and call his girl to see what's up.
Wonder if he wishes he'd pulled the pistol first? That's I think number 9 I know of this fall so far, there has been more grizzly issues this year than ever!