Bear protection handguns?

I have to laugh at some of these recommendations pertaining to firing sequence. Trust me and I have been there more than once that you will be lucky to get more than a couple of shots off...if that. You are more likely to soil your britches than clear the firearm from the holster. Anyway, keep going with the thread since it is at least entertaining

My buddy's Glock 20 proved unreliable.

Now carrying a 2 1/2" barrel Ruger Alaskan double action revolver, .454 Casull.

6 reliable shots better than 15+ unreliable shots.

Ive always thought of a pistol as the weapon for AFTER the bear is on top of you . If your hunting , you likely have a rifle in your hands. Try to get a shot off with the likely much more effective rifle , then if that doesn't pan out , start pumping rounds in smokey with the pistol while he is pulling your scalp off . Just make sure you save at least one round for yourself, just in case things keep getting worse !

In bear country I looked at a pistol as something you would ALWAYS have. I've even shot silhouette pistol competitions so I used to have more range with them. It all depends on how aware and ready you are.

I have a post on what to use on another thread for a Rifle on B Bear. .50 cal Hawkins with 300 gr bullet 150 grain powder. YOUR BACK UP is a 12" Bowie. I have another option in post #5. Watch the movie Revenant before you go hunting so you can prepare.

I have to laugh at some of these recommendations pertaining to firing sequence. Trust me and I have been there more than once that you will be lucky to get more than a couple of shots off...if that. You are more likely to soil your britches than clear the firearm from the holster. Anyway, keep going with the thread since it is at least entertaining
I was going to tell them to carry a Bowie knife like Daniel Boone.. Sure a lot of Post on Bear Defense.......

Here is my B & G Bear hunting equipment.
old picture, I have a .50 black powder pistol also on the wall

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
10mm seems to be the hot bear round of compromise lately…
A chest holster would be my first suggestion, if you were going to use a handgun for bear protection.
The heaviest hitting handgun round you can accurately get two rounds down range with would be my suggestion for your bear gun. Whether it's a heavy 9mm +P hardcast round or a big bore heavy hitter like a 454 Casull, it's probably gonna feel small when you've got a ****ed off bear charging towards you. They move with amazing quickness and agility for their size. The one charge I experienced was thankfully a bluff, but he stopped close enough I could smell his breath. I didn't even have time to get rounds down range, let alone clear leather. Anytime I'm in the mountains I've carried a rifle in hand ever since that day and still occasionally have nightmares about the incident.
Good luck with your quest.

Last edited:
They move with amazing quickness and agility for their size.
Summer of 1974, Cape Lisburne, Alaska. We were driving back up to Top Camp where the RADAR is stting on top of the mountain. Somehow we woke up a brownie napping not too far from the road. It took off in the valley parallel to the road. We were doing close to 40 MPH and it was pacing us.

Cape Liz is where the Bering Strait meets the Arctic Ocean, how in the heck that brown one got up so far North was beyond us. We saw some Polar bears along the shores of the ocean, but no brown ones, except that one. We never saw it again. Maybe them hungry white ones had it for dinner.

Recent Posts