Bear protection handguns?

It's been awhile but I carried a Marlin 45-70 and 4" M29 44 mag. I compromised on the 45-70 with a 350 Hornady handloads and on the 44 mag I loaded it with Federal CastCore 300 gr. I shot PPC and IDPA at the time so the load caused me no problems back then.

Before the arthritus took serious hold I carried a S&W 629 in bear country. That got traded for a S&W 686 in .357 magnum. I carry that one if I take the trash out after dark.

This little guy is the reason:

Backyard bear.JPG

Hello
Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to consider?
I know you want a new pistol...I fully support that! But you won't need it hunting deer in Arkansas. There are only few thousand black bears in the state and you probably won't trip over one. I would be more concerned about running into a meth lab or weed operation so getcha a fightin' pistol!

I know you want a new pistol...I fully support that! But you won't need it hunting deer in Arkansas. There are only few thousand black bears in the state and you probably won't trip over one. I would be more concerned about running into a meth lab or weed operation so getcha a fightin' pistol!
LOL! A Glock 20/40 with 3 15-rounders fits the bill.

In black bear country I'd go down to a 357 or even a 40 S&W. In meth lab/ rock chuck country I carry two rifles. AR15 for close in- medium ranges, and a LR rifle. I've walked up to too many burned out meth labs while hunting chucks.

First question I have is why are you do worried about black bears in Arkansas? I hunted the Adirondacks for many years, population way higher there. Black bears are not a real problem unless you make them into one with messy campsite with food, waste, personal products etc. Kill sites are no different, manage properly and you won't have problems. Sidearm just for black bears versus I need excuse to buy one. Now for 2 legged vermin wholeheartedly agree.

I spent my good chunk of my life up in Adirondacks around bears, they can impress you on how fast they can vacate an area once they get wind of you. Runaway dozers!

Here are two threads that got into this, might prove helpful:

I agree with others that two legged predators are much more of a danger in black bear country. Black bears have a much different mentality than a brown or grizzly and unless you get between a sow and cub, or do something dumb with food at night an attack is very, very unlikely.

I like my odds with 15+1 over 6.

In a real (unexpected, ie. not a bear hunt) bear attack you'll never have the time to fire more than 2 or 3 shots so having 16 shots wont help your chances of hitting the bear, that's just rediculous.

On the other hand, I've carried both a big .44mag and .454 and now carry an XDM 10mm. The reason I transitioned is simply bulk and weight, the 10mm isn't quite as good a round but it's a lot easier to carry all day. But make no mistake, no pistol is as good as a rifle when it comes to taking down a bear and the 10mm is simply a compromise based on the slim odds that I'll ever be attacked vs. having to carry something that's simply useless dead weight.

This is more accurate than it should be. My father in law carries a glock 21 in an alien gear chest holster when riding in the Arkansas mountains because of that, he actually had to draw down on a guy. He got way back in the woods on horseback where he had never been before, like a 3 hour ride back in, and a random guy stepped out from behind a tree in front of his horse and asked him what he was doing there, he said riding, what are you doing? The guy was in plain cloths, no backpacking gear, no rifle so he wasn't hunting, nothing. The guy bladed off to him and said what if I just take you off that horse? My father in law reached inside his jacket and pulled out his pistol and didn't say anything, just started backing his horse up, the guy turned and started walking away, and my father in law turned and rode out of that place as fast as he could.

So ya, I personally in those mountains would hunt deer with a light carbine ar-15 with an lpvo optic and offset red dot, and at least one spare mag, and a glock 22 or 35 with a spare mag for backup. Unless there are some large fields or power line cuts, the opportunity for long range will likely be limited. Even then, there are some great bullet options for .223 that will take out white tail out to 300 yards without issue.

In a real (unexpected, ie. not a bear hunt) bear attack you'll never have the time to fire more than 2 or 3 shots so having 16 shots wont help your chances of hitting the bear, that's just rediculous.

On the other hand, I've carried both a big .44mag and .454 and now carry an XDM 10mm. The reason I transitioned is simply bulk and weight, the 10mm isn't quite as good a round but it's a lot easier to carry all day. But make no mistake, no pistol is as good as a rifle when it comes to taking down a bear and the 10mm is simply a compromise based on the slim odds that I'll ever be attacked vs. having to carry something that's simply useless dead weight.
That's your opinion and your welcome to it but there is no such thing as being under gunned or having too many rounds at your disposal

5 rounds, 6 rounds, 15 rounds, 100 rounds what really matters is an accurate hit. 2 legged or 4 all that matters is using something you can hit with imo. More power is better but if you just miss then it might not end well. Just 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

...the bear guides I have talked to in Alaska don't carry pistols, they carry a .375 or .416. Don't fear the black bear. You'll have your rifle.