Handguns: Black Bear Defense - Which is more Effective?

Which of these do You consider a better load for Black Bear Defense?

• 1 - 45 Colt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - 45 Super

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have three handguns I would not hesitate to carry in Alaska. All were purchased or built for hunting or fishing carry. I have an old charter arms bulldog revolver in 44 special that I have carried and even finished off an elk once after having rifle failure. I have loaded with Ellmer Keith's old hot 44 special load long ago and it held together. Since then I've gotten 40 years older and Had my right wrist fused do to tearing it up and load it to around 900 fps with hard cast 240 grain slug and avoid Elmers loads. The bulldog with its 3" barrel is light and carry's well. Some 10 years ago I picked up a 4" S&W mountain gun in 45 colt, a little heavy but it would do the job. During covid I built a 1911 in 400 Corbon and have been very impressed with its performance compared to the 45acp. 180 gr jacketed hawk HP at 1000 fps had much more penetration than any factory 45acp I tried.
Of the choices listed I would pick the 45 super.

Last edited:
You'll have a rifle, right? Wouldn't that be the best option. No handgun is going to top a rifle. I would never take a 1911, too many buttons and levers sticking out to compound reliability issues (I love 1911's but the fact is that they're nothing as reliable as a glock or hk or sig or...). I also wouldn't take a SA revolver. A DA .357 would certainly be a good option with some 158gr hard cast SWC's. All of the above said, I've never met a black bear that wouldn't run as soon as it was aware of my presence. They're very skittish creatures. I'd imagine in CO where it actually snows and stays that way for half the year they might get more aggressive in the late fall but even then, rifle.
I carry the S&W Performance Center 627 8 shot .357 magnum with 5" barrel usually in a DeSantis Yukon chest rig. Very smooth double action trigger pull. With premium loads it packs a punch. I find the fastest draw is with my left hand operating the "quick" disconnect on the retaining strap, while my right hand grasp the revolver. Still it takes both hands. I might prefer a simple snap (or double snaps) on the retaining strap for single hand operation. I might take a look into that modification...

I live hunt and fish in Alaska…. Take bear spray.

That being said I've gone from 7.5" 44 mag to 10mm.

If I did it over again, snub nose 454 Casul and a can of bear spray.

If I have enough time to figure out what's going on bear spray… and then I don't have to kill it unless I'm hunting,

If it's already on top of me then a snub nose Ruger super red hawk revolver. If there's any chance of having a slide out of battery and not fire that would be the time. Given it's not likely but if you shove the barrel up into a ball of fury and hide the potential is there. Revolver doesn't have that issue.

Just my opinion spending a lot of time in bear country by myself, with hunting partners, and with my wife and kids.

Fwiw I still carry the 10mm and bear spray.
What about those Air Horn canisters they use at sports and games?
Would they work ?
They are inexpensive and would be easy to practice with.
I don't see a reasonable way to practice with bear spray.

I have had 2 S&W revolvers lock up on me. A model 19 and a model 29. Wouldn't cock and couldn't open the cylinder. Revolvers have been much less reliable in my experience. My 70 Series Colt Gold Cup has had 80,000 rounds or so through it. Never a problem. I have many Glocks Never a problem. Of course good ammo is needed. I put my faith in autos. As our military has. I now own very few revolvers as I have no confidence in their ability to function properly and reliably.

I have had 2 S&W revolvers lock up on me. A model 19 and a model 29. Wouldn't cock and couldn't open the cylinder. Revolvers have been much less reliable in my experience. My 70 Series Colt Gold Cup has had 80,000 rounds or so through it. Never a problem. I have many Glocks Never a problem. Of course good ammo is needed. I put my faith in autos. As our military has. I now own very few revolvers as I have no confidence in their ability to function properly and reliably.
Are you going to tell us what the cause was?

I took them to a gunsmith, Al Perry, now unfortunately no longer with us. He said there was a small amount of a lint like substance that jamed the mechanism. He removed the side plate to clean them up. This happened years apart from each occurrence.

CCE6E2B2-9B4C-47B6-99EE-6152720E9F58.jpeg

I always carry bear spray and my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with Buffalo Bore 325gr +P while fishing, hiking, or hunting in Alaska. Pick a gun you can shoot fast and accurately, but it should be a second option to bear spray.

I live in bear country, and if not hunting, I try to make some noise at regular intervals to let bears know that I'm there. One of the worst things that can happen is to surprise a bear at close range. That said, I also carry bear spray, and a 4.25 barreled Ruger Redhawk in 45 LC loaded with 300 gr. CPB wide, flat nose bullets loaded to 1200 fps.. I had the chance to test this load on a large Angus bull that a friend of mine was going to butcher. At a distance of 6', I aimed low between the eyes. The bull dropped at the shot with the bullet completely penetrating the skull and the upper portion of his spine. No handgun (nor rifle for that matter) can be counted upon to stop a determined bear attack at close range. Situational awareness is the best protection.

Revolvers are like every other firearm. They need to be cleaned and lubricated just like your semi autos do. My dad who was a State Cop had an issue with his Model 19 back in the 60's. When he took it to the range to qualify the cylinder failed to rotate and the hammer failed to pull back so the firearm would not fire. The issue as it turned out to be was that the grease, yes grease that was used to lubricate the inner workings from the factory had solidified keeping the action from functioning. The issue, the firearm still had the original lubricant that came with it when he bought it back in the 50's. Lubricants back then were not as good as they are today. When the side cover was removed the grease was virtually solid. The trigger assembly had to be pried out of the frame and the dried lubricant scraped from the frame and the trigger parts soaked in home heating oil to soften it up to clean the parts. Once cleaned the firearm functioned without any issues but this time using Gunslick gun grease to lube the internals. Lesson learned, clean not only the barrel and cylinder but the entire firearm on a regular basis. I cant help but wonder if your malfunctioning Model 19 suffered from the same grease caking issues.

45 colt for sure, much hotter/heavier chambering.
While stationed in Alaska I asked a few guides about hot 45acp for defense they all agreed that a gun was better than no gun. For a 1911 it's best to remove the front sight so when the grizzly stuck in up your exit chute it'd hurt less. I never needed to shoot a bear of either species but I have hosed a couple with spray while camping/hiking/fishing. Usually rocks thrown would get the young bears to leave but I always had a pistol on me for back up. The only benefit of spray to me is not having to worry about what's behind the target. It's a better option if near civilization that's about it from my point of view.
For black bears any hard cast/deep penetrating bullet should suffice. I started with a super redhawk Alaskan in 44 with 340gr buffalo bore +p shot it fine but traded for a Ruger gp100 in 357. Running 180gr hard cast never felt under gunned. Whichever of those pistols you shoot better would get my nod. Shooting large stumps I got as much penetration as my buddies with bigger pistols and actually had a chance for follow shots up if needed.

Last edited: