Handguns: Black Bear Defense - Which is more Effective?

Which of these do You consider a better load for Black Bear Defense?

• 1 - 45 Colt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - 45 Super

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

del2les

Recently, someone asked a question about using a handgun, in this case a 45 Auto, for Black Bear defense, and as most of us long timers know, bear defense handguns come up rather often. Thus, I wanted to take a little poll and ask our wise readership which of these two do you think is a more effective round/gun for black bear or similar defense or even hunting? 1- 45 Colt, 2 - 45 Super
(Handguns shown and used are the Ruger Blackhawk 5 1/2" 45 Colt and a modified Kimber 1911 in 45 Super)

1653888284141.jpeg

You'll have a rifle, right? Wouldn't that be the best option. No handgun is going to top a rifle. I would never take a 1911, too many buttons and levers sticking out to compound reliability issues (I love 1911's but the fact is that they're nothing as reliable as a glock or hk or sig or...). I also wouldn't take a SA revolver. A DA .357 would certainly be a good option with some 158gr hard cast SWC's. All of the above said, I've never met a black bear that wouldn't run as soon as it was aware of my presence. They're very skittish creatures. I'd imagine in CO where it actually snows and stays that way for half the year they might get more aggressive in the late fall but even then, rifle.

You'll have a rifle, right? Wouldn't that be the best option. No handgun is going to top a rifle. I would never take a 1911, too many buttons and levers sticking out to compound reliability issues (I love 1911's but the fact is that they're nothing as reliable as a glock or hk or sig or...). I also wouldn't take a SA revolver. A DA .357 would certainly be a good option with some 158gr hard cast SWC's. All of the above said, I've never met a black bear that wouldn't run as soon as it was aware of my presence. They're very skittish creatures. I'd imagine in CO where it actually snows and stays that way for half the year they might get more aggressive in the late fall but even then, rifle.
In most places, rifles aren't allowed unless during hunting season and with a license. Hiking, fishing, camping, etc are the times most of us carry handguns for those unexpected defense situations.

Recently, someone asked a question about using a handgun, in this case a 45 Auto, for Black Bear defense, and as most of us long timers know, bear defense handguns come up rather often. Thus, I wanted to take a little poll and ask our wise readership which of these two do you think is a more effective round/gun for black bear or similar defense or even hunting? 1- 45 Colt, 2 - 45 Super
(Handguns shown and used are the Ruger Blackhawk 5 1/2" 45 Colt and a modified Kimber 1911 in 45 Super)

View attachment 369044
Well to my way of thinking, "None of the above!" I know many if not most of you will argue, and I spent 30 years of my life preserving, "Freedom of Speech," although many, mostly politicians, news media and special interests abuse that freedom while screaming at others that they are racist, anti american or a myriad of other things demeaning to any or all individuals. Actually Freedom of Speech as it is treated here is more like it was intended. We all have our own thoughts and differences, and I know mine are contrary to what the norm seems to be. With that being said, to all the members of this forum, "Thank you for quietly listening to what I have to say, (there are a few of you out there that are not exactly open to any discussion, especially from a woman) and have at least listened and conversed in a friendly manner about the many topics I choose to respond to.

So here we go again when I make the statement that, "Bigger is not better." It is my opinion (And we all know what opinions are) that a high velocity heavy lead bullet such as Buffalo Bore in a .357 Magnum coming from at least a 4" barrel revolver (6 " even better) is going to be more effective than any large slow moving bullet from any semi auto. Why a revolver. 99% reliable, no slides to be out of battery, no safeties to forget to flip off, no extraction or feed problems and the list goes on. Simply pull the revolver out of the holster, aim and pull the trigger. For those of you who say, "They only hold 6 rounds." True but as once said by a world shooting champion, "Only hits count." Having 18 or 21 rounds in a magazine won't help anyone if none of them find their spot. I do live in a state that has a healthy amount of bears wandering the woods. If for some reason I am in the woods without a rifle (Definitely preferred bear medicine) I carry a S&W Model 19, 4 inch when I am wandering the northern woods (Bear Country) with a shotgun (not good for bear with birdshot) loaded with Buffalo Boar 170 gr JHC bullets leaving the barrel at 1411 fps, enough bullet mass and velocity to penetrate a bear skull or deep into the vitals.

Let the discussion begin.

Personally I refuse to carry ANY SINGLE ACTION handgun for ANY self defense situation.
As far as "safely cocked" 1911, ask the sheriff debuty who accidentaly shot his niece over Thanks Giving a few years ago. He was carrying a 1911 "safely cocked" she gave him a hug and got shot.
My opinion and mine only!

Last edited:
I live hunt and fish in Alaska…. Take bear spray.

That being said I've gone from 7.5" 44 mag to 10mm.

If I did it over again, snub nose 454 Casul and a can of bear spray.

If I have enough time to figure out what's going on bear spray… and then I don't have to kill it unless I'm hunting,

If it's already on top of me then a snub nose Ruger super red hawk revolver. If there's any chance of having a slide out of battery and not fire that would be the time. Given it's not likely but if you shove the barrel up into a ball of fury and hide the potential is there. Revolver doesn't have that issue.

Just my opinion spending a lot of time in bear country by myself, with hunting partners, and with my wife and kids.

Fwiw I still carry the 10mm and bear spray.

After living in AK for 11 years and 2 of those in the remote interior, my preference was a water bottle. I've thrown so many water bottles at black bear to scare them off I couldn't count on 2 hands how many times it worked. Now if I was fishing the Kenai and the big browns were around, my 44 mag was always with me....

"In most places, rifles aren't allowed unless during hunting season and with a license."

I never heard of this in my state. I bring a rifle backpacking an area with a ewe/lamb herd all the time for targeting depredating coyotes. But then it's coyote season year round. However, I wouldn't think twice about high angle target shooting in the same type of area if there were no sheep nearby. Now during big game season you are not allowed to hunt coyotes with big game legal calibers but you can still hunt coyotes with smaller calibers and target shoot on public lands with bigger calibers.