Black Bear self defense handgun/rifle

Hi folks, I live in Western Washington, land of rain and trees and black bears in some places.

Where I live there are a lot of bears. Not good hunting, it is very dense brush and you have to get out of town quite a way in order to not ruffle someone's feathers.

I live out in the woods away and we have bear trouble from time to time. Whenever I hike I carry a Marlin 30-30, which I have read is supposed to be good.

However, I would like to have more than that in case of attack, and would be willing to carry a sidearm.

Alternately, I have a friend who is suggesting a rifle like a mini 14, which is high capacity clip. The idea being shooting a bear with 10-15 bullets from semi auto rather than 6 slow 30-30 shots.

So questions,

1) What are some good handguns? I have a .40, but what about 357 sig, 357 mag, 41 mag, etc. I assume 44 mag kicks to hard for multiple shot accuracy

2) What about the mini 14? Any reason to consider that in place of the 30-30?

Thanks

I am from Renton, Washington(Go Dogs!) You might consider something a little bigger. M-1 Garrand (308)with an eight round capacity with a 180 grain round or 12 gauge shot gun pump with a 4 round capacity(slugs). Bears like to get behind you and ambush. Hand gun should be no less than a 44 magnum. You need to "stop" the bear. 40,10 .357 sig will only **** him off. Make sure you take a small dog. The bigger dogs get themselves killed by trying to attack the bear. Keep the wind in your face and always keep looking around for movement, color, and shape. Good Luck.

Make sure you take a small dog. The bigger dogs get themselves killed by trying to attack the bear....Never thought about...sounds like a good point. Keep the wind in your face and always keep looking around for movement, color, and shape +1

I bow hunt in grizz country, I carry 4" S&W, 44 MAG. 300 gr. I shot on state pistol Champ pistol team. MY holster rides on a 2" ring, like in horse tack, that the ring hangs off gun belt, lower slung. This way it is under my fanny pack belt, tied to leg and ring lets it pivot as I hike, always handy

SP6x6, I'm trying to get a picture in my mind what your setup looks like but, then again I have no idea what a horse tack is or looks like but, it sounds like a good idea and would work if I'm picturing it correctly.

Make sure you take a small dog. The bigger dogs get themselves killed by trying to attack the bear.

Dogs are unique to themselves. I had a half Lab, half German Shorthair. She was terribly afraid of bears and moose. I kept her on a run in our back yard and she must have had some bad encounters. We have bears and moose through our yard on a fairly common basis. She could be good to have along because I could tell by observing her - when she'd start freaking out - that trouble was near. I took her black bear hunting with me, only once. While I was trying to get prepared to shoot a bear at about 300 yds my dog caught the bears scent and I had to spend 5 minutes leashing her to an alder bush so she wouldn't jump off the cliff in a panic and commit suicide. I eventually got the bear, but it took a lot more work than would have otherwise been necessary. The bear had originally been in a nice easy location to recover. By the time I caught up with it and shot it, it rolled down and out onto a remnant snow field covering a mountain creek, down through a hole in the snow field, and then washed down into and under an ice field bridge which spanned the creek. It was dangerous and miserable recovering the bear. Last time I took my dog bear hunting.

Last edited:
SP6x6, I'm trying to get a picture in my mind what your setup looks like but, then again I have no idea what a horse tack is or looks like but, it sounds like a good idea and would work if I'm picturing it correctly.
The part of leather that goes on belt is 1st and 2" ring is contained,top of ring,bottom of ring is holster that holds pistol. This makes for the lower carry, But the ring acts like a joint, so the top is solid but the lower swings with leg and does not bind

Taking a dog with you in bear country is a BAD idea.If the dog tackles the bear you may lose it.If the dog finds that it tackled more than it can chew,lol,then it will run to its protector,guess who?.most times the bear will be mad,and in the case of a mama,will kill anything that threatens her babys.It has happened up here before,NOT good.The chances of an attack are VERY remote,with a little comon sense.I have run into bears a few times and luckly for the both of us everything turned out ok.Go fishing or hiking and enjoy yourself.Yea,you here about attacks,but,seeing that hundreds of incounters happened over the years,the chances are very remote.Are little minds carry more threat than the bears do.Carry if you want,i do,but dont think that the bears are behind every tree just waiting to pounce on you.pan.:)

Taking a dog with you in bear country is a BAD idea.If the dog tackles the bear you may lose it.If the dog finds that it tackled more than it can chew,lol,then it will run to its protector,guess who?.most times the bear will be mad,and in the case of a mama,will kill anything that threatens her babys.It has happened up here before,NOT good.The chances of an attack are VERY remote,with a little comon sense.I have run into bears a few times and luckly for the both of us everything turned out ok.Go fishing or hiking and enjoy yourself.Yea,you here about attacks,but,seeing that hundreds of incounters happened over the years,the chances are very remote.Are little minds carry more threat than the bears do.Carry if you want,i do,but dont think that the bears are behind every tree just waiting to pounce on you.pan.:)

I wrote a reply to a guy concerning bear hunting techniques. I said that taking a "SMALL" dog might be advisable. The reason I gave was that most larger dogs will try and mix it up with the bear and get killed. A beagle, believe it or not, makes for a great bear dog. When hunting the brown or the black, a small dog can often times give you a good "point". Bears being an ambush preditor will often times circle behind before attacking. It is up to the guy on the hunt what he will do. I hunt bear with a 12 guage pump(FMH tactical)(slugs 500gr) and a 44 mag for just in case. There is no point in taking chances on a hunt so I keep the camp fires lit at night and hang my food in a tree about 50 or so yards from camp. The small dog is my eyes and ears while I am sleeping and will let me know if there is something "shaking" before anything tries to get into the tent. The dog is used to stand "point".

I live in Montana and there is a mauling every year here or two,

I bet that the maulings you discribe are when a hunter is dressing out a kill OR when they go back to retrieve meat.In your state i believe that you have Griz?.,awhole dif.bear .Blackie will to.
Out camping is another thing,At night a dog would be a good insureance of leting you know somethings about.Any dog will.I like them to let me know if a coon,or anything else is going for my goodies,even in a tree.pan.

I bet that the maulings you discribe are when a hunter is dressing out a kill OR when they go back to retrieve meat.In your state i believe that you have Griz?.,awhole dif.bear .Blackie will to.
Out camping is another thing,At night a dog would be a good insureance of leting you know somethings about.Any dog will.I like them to let me know if a coon,or anything else is going for my goodies,even in a tree.pan.

Absolutely right on panman! No sense in taking chances. I am from Washington state originally and the Okanogan Country(bordering Canada) has had occasions where both huge blacks and some reported Browns have had their way with unsuspecting campers and hunters. Three years ago I was trout fishing here in Georgia when a black crossed the creek about 30 yards from my position. Had No weapon at that time because it would be against the law. The law change a year ago April(Thanks NRA!). I would have been "lunch" if the bear attacked me. We can now carry into National parks etc. A great hand gun is better than American Express.....Never leave home without it! Glad to see you are coming around to our way of thinking because a bear doesn't need an excuse to get after you...he does it as he wishes. In town we are the law... in the woods the bear is the law.

Last edited:
LOL,yea John,im pretty well open minded when out and about.Not all thing go in all situtations.Just a little common sense,together, with a good gun,[whatever you prefer],as long as you can shoot well with it, and is big enough to do the job.Taking a dog with you when brook fishing is out!.A river may be ok,and in a boat,well a dog is a very good compainon,that is if its not to large for the boat.lol.They learn rather quickly to keep still.I love dogs,they are family.
As you know,a little common sense and you can enjoy yourself in the outdoors,all you have to do is be aware of your surroundings.
Keeping an open mind and planning ahead makes all the dif.,in the world.Enjoy!!.pan:)

There are a lot of post on this subject and a search should help.

I still say that a very large, short barreled revolver is the best choice because=

It can be brought to bare under the worst of times.

You can hold off your attacker with one hand and still draw and shoot the revolver.

If it is not on a loaded cylinder or you have a misfire all you have to do is pull the trigger
and you are back in business.

Some like a shotgun or rifle but if your hunting you already have or should have a rifle
capable of dispatching a bear but if he gets on you to fast and get you down only the
pistol will be usable.

If you are just hiking . The pistol is easy to carry and can even be concealed.

There are many choices of revolvers . I personally carry a titanium 44 special normal.
But if I was in brown bear country I would carry my 454 .

The magic word is "SELF DEFENSE" . If you have time to use a long gun then it is just a hunt
(Maybe an exciting one) but not self defense.

Just my opinion !

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.