Bear protection handguns?

Do you own a 1911 45acp ? If ypu can find the loads , the 450smc is equal to or superior ( bullet weight ) to full bore 10mm loads . All you need in order to fire 450smc loads in a 1911, or any other well built 45acp (HK/SIG220) is a heavy recoil spring. I have a 22lbs spring for my sw1911e for firing the hot loads. Same spring Wilson puts in all their full size 10mm 1911s.

with the black bears found there I would use the 44 special/44 mag revolver. S&W 629 or 624 will do the job. the 10 MM G-20 will do it too. what people forget is the 45 Colt does a really good job as well. the 454 Cassul is no slouch. then you have the 460 and 500 S&W mags. I used to use a 41 Mag in a 6" blackhawk. a wonderful round. I would not turn down any of the rounds listed except the 460 and 500 due to the size of the revolvers they come in. a pumped up 44 SPL is nothing really to scough at. I have had a 44 SPL with 240 grain slugs to within 100 FPS of the 44 Mag without the recoil. killed a few bears with that S&W. the current bear protection I have are 41 Mag and 45 Colt-Blackhawk/S&W 625 respectively. the 300 grain 45 colt does a better job than the 44 mag that I have observed. 210 grain 41 mag does a very adequate job of putting down blacks and a few browns I have witnessed. My first line of defense is acutally bear spray with a 25 foot stream. I find it did a better job than anything in MT, CA, VT, ME, WI and BC.
I am not disagreeing with you, but it is hard to convince the wife that you need a new gun if bear spray works good. I still carry my .41 Mag Blackhawk for backup after 40 years.

As far as the danger of blackies compared to grizzlies, i lean on the advice from a guide that teaches bear safety in ski country where my sister used to take her family in Colorado. According to his advice, you can play dead with a grizz and most of the time it will loose interest after he roughs you up a little. If a black bear aggressively attacks, and its not an over protective sow, it has a meal on its mind. He says FIGHT till your last breath because blackie is gonna eat you

In a real (unexpected, ie. not a bear hunt) bear attack you'll never have the time to fire more than 2 or 3 shots
I respectfully disagree. Sincerely, I mean no offense. One method of practicing with a pistol is to triple tap the trigger. If one is engaging a single target (E. G. A bear) I would say one should more than triple tap the trigger. With a 10 mm one can dump 8 to 10 rounds and a four inch Circle rapid fire With practice. The keyword being practice.
Just my two cents worth.

The area of Idaho where I hunt currently has seen the big three of predators; bear, cougar, and wolves. All of these are very susceptible to a well placed round from my 4" 7 shot 357 mag. Easy to carry and comfortable to shoot creates confidence should the needed occasion arise. I've had all three witching 500 yards of my home so the odds of me encountering one of them on a hunt is significant. Just be "practice ready" with whatever you chose to carry.

I respectfully disagree. Sincerely, I mean no offense. One method of practicing with a pistol is to triple tap the trigger. If one is engaging a single target (E. G. A bear) I would say one should more than triple tap the trigger. With a 10 mm one can dump 8 to 10 rounds and a four inch Circle rapid fire With practice. The keyword being practice.
Just my two cents worth.

No doubt there could be a time where one could well get off more than a couple rounds, I however wouldn't bet on it. Bear fights are over very quickly. Keep in mind that a G bear can travel up to 35 mph and or 45 feet per second....

And unfortunately IMO and IME not many people who feel that they can defend via a handgun are practiced enough to really do so. I know a fella who hasn't fired his handgun in 15 years and yet he scoffs at the idea of suggesting bear spray...........seriously!

My thoughts are it's better to have a pistol or bear spray than not. Your gambling either way if your going to have time to use it. At least I know if I'm on the ground with a griz on me I may have the chance to unload on him with a pistol. Spraying the bear with bear spray while on the ground would incompasitate you most likely .

We would all like to think we could get to our pistol before being attacked by a bear, but your rifle should already be in your hands. The pistol is there for if you have time to get to it. Wally, a friend of mine was hunting elk near Yellowstone years ago when a grizzly attacked him from behind and tore him up pretty bad. After he laid there for a while, he got up and she had circled and attacked him again. She had knocked the rifle out of his hands right away, so maybe he could have drawn a pistol during the attack. He was not willing to go back and try again with a pistol.

No doubt there could be a time where one could well get off more than a couple rounds, I however wouldn't bet on it. Bear fights are over very quickly. Keep in mind that a G bear can travel up to 35 mph and or 45 feet per second....

And unfortunately IMO and IME not many people who feel that they can defend via a handgun are practiced enough to really do so. I know a fella who hasn't fired his handgun in 15 years and yet he scoffs at the idea of suggesting bear spray...........seriously!
Dogs, you hit the nail on the head. If you are going to be effective with your weapon - be it a rifle OR handgun - you must practice with it, in situations in which it most likely will be used. And firing a couple of magazines through it once a year isn't going to cut it. To think otherwise is foolish.

Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to consider
I like Glocks. If you decide to buy a Glock learn how to shoot it. It's not like a 1911. The Glock has to be pressed as far down in your hand as possible. If it is not down fat enough, it will have significantly greater than average recoil. If it is down as far as it will go it will have significantly lower than average recoil. this assumes that you are holding it correctly press the back of your palms together; and point your thumbs at the target.
The Glock has a white dot on the front sight. (I assume you Already know this, but I'll say it anyway.) The white dot should be perfectly in focus. Your rear sight is slightly blurry. The target is a blurr. Focus on the white dot. Concentrate on the white dot. You should be concentrating on the dot forcing yourself to keep it totally in focus. At close range. You don't spend much time considering the rear sight. Put the white dot on the target, and fire. (Again, I'm sure you already know this, but I'll say it anyway.) Both eyes are always open. With your dominant eye you are concentrating on that white dot. Put the white dot where you want the bullet to go. Practice rapid firing the pistol. At a distance of 5 to 7 yards practice double tapping the trigger. Then triple tap the trigger. Keep going until you can put 8 to 10 rounds in a four inch Circle at 5 to 7 yards.
- I am sure there are many videos on the Internet that can do a great job teaching you how to handle that pistol for defense against a bear. Done by experts, who have much more education in such matters than I do. I'm no expert I just know how I do it.
just my two cents worth.
I hope it helps.
p.s. I meant to post this right after my other post. For some reason I didn't post and it's just been sitting here so I'm posting it now.