Bear protection handguns?

I respectfully disagree. Sincerely, I mean no offense. One method of practicing with a pistol is to triple tap the trigger. If one is engaging a single target (E. G. A bear) I would say one should more than triple tap the trigger. With a 10 mm one can dump 8 to 10 rounds and a four inch Circle rapid fire With practice. The keyword being practice.
Just my two cents worth.
Prove it. I'm a very avid gun shooter, pistols to rifles and I spent a career in the Marine Corps and there is no way in hell that you can prove to me that you'll hit a bear with more than 2 or 3 rounds if it surprises you from the typical distance that most attacks happen at. Figure it out, most attacks happen with no more than 20 or 30 feet distance between the person and the bear, that's gives you no more than one second (grizzlies and black bears can run at 30 mph) from the time you know the bear is attacking and you turn to face it, aim, and get a killing shot off.

I don't think you guys really understand just how fast a bear attack happens. I'm not talking about some hunter that watches a bear for several minutes, has his gun drawn, and is aiming at the animal before it attacks. I'm talking about a real bear attack which usually means that as you walk along the first you know about a bear attacking is when you hear it crashing through the brush. More often than not you wont even clear leather before it's on you.

Bad theory, the fact is that more often than not a dog will cause the bear to attack, dogs tend to go after a bear, in most cases if the bear hadn't been bothered by the dog it (the bear) would probably have just walked away.

Prove it. I'm a very avid gun shooter, pistols to rifles and I spent a career in the Marine Corps and there is no way in hell that you can prove to me that you'll hit a bear with more than 2 or 3 rounds if it surprises you from the typical distance that most attacks happen at. Figure it out, most attacks happen with no more than 20 or 30 feet distance between the person and the bear, that's gives you no more than one second (grizzlies and black bears can run at 30 mph) from the time you know the bear is attacking and you turn to face it, aim, and get a killing shot off.

I don't think you guys really understand just how fast a bear attack happens. I'm not talking about some hunter that watches a bear for several minutes, has his gun drawn, and is aiming at the animal before it attacks. I'm talking about a real bear attack which usually means that as you walk along the first you know about a bear attacking is when you hear it crashing through the brush. More often than not you wont even clear leather before it's on you.
And you know all of this because you heard it some where, read it on Facebook or first hand experience ??????????, I agree with you, it's going to happen fast and you probably won't get 2 shots off but in the event that I survive the initial attack I still prefer to have 15 rounds at my disposal

Bad theory, the fact is that more often than not a dog will cause the bear to attack, dogs tend to go after a bear, in most cases if the bear hadn't been bothered by the dog it (the bear) would probably have just walked away.
Maybe so, locals I talked to used dogs to stand a Polar enough time for them to put 55 FMJs into the neck. Why 55 FMJs, they get issued M193s back them.

As you said, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how stupid it is.
You didn't really say that to Butter Bean about his post. I can't find anything stupid about his post, so I'm taking it you are just kidding, right! I have been walking in a rice canal with a six-shooter and sharing space with a water moccasin and I was glad I was also carrying a 15 shot 9mm. I scared the pooh-pooh out of that snake and never hit it once in 21 shots, but I didn't hit my feet either. I wished I had more rounds with me. That snake had no business trying to bite a well-armed man scared out of his mind. I say, more ammo, faster horses, younger women, and older whiskey, more money. Tom T. Hall

Last edited:
You didn't really say that to Butter Bean about his post. I can't find anything stupid about his post, so I'm taking it you are just kidding, right! I have been walking in a rice canal with a six-shooter and sharing space with a water moccasin and I was glad I was also carrying a 15 shot 9mm. I scared the pooh-pooh out of that snake and never hit it once in 21 shots, but I didn't hit my feet either. I wished I had more rounds with me. That snake had no business trying to bite a well-armed man scared out of his mind. I say, more ammo, faster horses, younger women, and older whiskey.
He can't help himself

"probably", ain't nothin probable about a bear. He could be guarding lunch or she could be protecting babies. Is there anything else I can clear up for you at this time?

If I were going to bear country, I would probably have a dog to run point. We had one when I lived in Alaska for a year. He went with us whenever we went for a hike along the shores of the Arctic Ocean. I heard later he stood his ground between a couple of guys and a Polar, who was looking for a meal.
In Europe, they specifically breed dogs to hunt the big brownies, I.e., Karelian Bear Dog in Finland and Russo-European Laika in Russia. There are other Laika breeds used in hunting bears.

When my wife and I are just hiking/camping, we take our Karelian Bear Dog. He has alerted us of the black bear with 2 cubs and a mountain lion already.

Wind River Institute (https://beardogs.org/) here in Montana uses Karelian Bear Dog (KBDs) in bear shepherding and mountain lion conflict management. WRI's program has expanded to AK, WA, WY, Japan, and Canada. They are now being used in polar bear research too.

Last edited:

Recent Posts