Barrel - Carbon vs. Fluted vs. ?

I've worked with carbon fiber quite a bit in regards to strength...... carbon fiber comes in different grades, wraps and strengths. Unless you know what grade/specs of carbon fiber you are working with you don't know what your buying.....
Carbon fiber is susceptible to cracking and delaminating.
Barrel makers are very careful about fluting barrels....when in the mfg.process how much and how many flutes.
I bought a 7mmx8tw. Krieger blank barrel off here that was fluted after Krieger shipped it....
I looked at the depth of flutes and quantity of them and called Kreiger...they said they did not/would not flute a lite profile s.s. barrel...
I mailed barrel back to owner 2 months ago..... have not seen my money..... Yet...

I noticed you did not mention Proof Barrels, no exposure??
My son has, a Proof, 24", barrel on his 7PRC, Tikka T-3 action, his Rifle is, almost, Pound Heavier than my Tikka .270 WSM, 24" barrel Rifle, so personally,.. I DON'T see, the "Need" ( Except to spend Money ) and the "Accuracy" is nothing, to get, real excited about.
His new, 7 PRC is NO more accurate than,.. My Factory Tikka in .270 WSM so far ( I'm Not impressed,.. Yet ! )
Just My 2 Cents !.

Last edited:
I have done carbon six magnum profiles. They are good for short barrels, but don't expect to save a ton of weight that way. I normally do the sendaro now. Never tried their featherweight. Probably like a sendaro lite.
@ Sneuses,..
THIS,.. ^^^^ aka,.. WHAT's really to, .."Gain" ???
Answer,.. Lighten up, your Bank account and, Boost your Ego because,.. they're "Trendy" !
IF, you ain't Huntin' with, an Expensive "Custom" Rifle,.. you ain't,.. Huntin' ,.. LOL

Last edited:
What are getting for groups? My other option is a Brux but that's a 10-12 month wait or a proof cf prefit to go a anti-x long action
WAIT for, the BRUX, if wanting, REAL Accuracy, just Profile it,.. LIKE,.. a Tikka, T-3 barrel to, save weight.
( Not, the t3x, Super Lite )

Last edited:
What are getting for groups? My other option is a Brux but that's a 10-12 month wait or a proof cf prefit to go a anti-x long action
It's a .5 - .75" MOA rifle. The weakest part has been the shooter. I run it suppressed and I have never run into it walking after multiple shots. My personal opinion is there are many great barrels out there. If a barrel manufacturer is producing enough of them, some will get out the door that shouldn't.

I ended up going carbon to get the diameter for a supressor without the weight penalty. I've done fluted in the past as well and the cost wasn't that much different.

I have both and while I love the consistency/repeatability of the fluted varmint or m24 my favorite rifle is a 22" proof/tenacity/ag composite. 8.5lbs

As others have said. I have walked all day with this set up with no issues. Still heavy enough to make a few hundred yard shots.

Attachments

• 68386703456__D423C64F-74FE-4E65-9539-0FB4248107A9.jpeg
    68386703456__D423C64F-74FE-4E65-9539-0FB4248107A9.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 33