Barrel - Carbon vs. Fluted vs. ?

Yeah, I don't think I'm looking at doing a super thin profile with flutes. I was thinking more mid-weight. So at Carbon6, a 338 has to be a magnum or bull. I'm unfamiliar with other barrel makers and their profiles other than a sendero and med Palma. But something a tad thinner than the magnum and fluted, would there be a weight savings over the Carbon6 magnum (0.900" at the muzzle)?
I have done carbon six magnum profiles. They are good for short barrels, but don't expect to save a ton of weight that way. I normally do the sendaro now. Never tried their featherweight. Probably like a sendaro lite.

Lightest CF barrels out there are Proof and Christensen.

Shooting about 60-80 rifles a year, from .223 to .338 Edge, I would NEVER build a sub-7# 7 Mega or .338 Mega. This is my opinion. Even a 7.5# 7SS will twist in your hand from rotational torque. A lightweight thumper is always going to be more difficult to shoot extremely well. I have seen a lot of buddies build lightweight thumpers, then complain they are "not accurate enough". I don't think it is the rifle's accuracy potential in 90% of those cases.

My lightest rifle is just over 8lbs scoped and suppressed. 6.5PRC/SI. It is as light as I would go. Step up to a 7mm thumper, and I will take an extra 8-16oz of rifle weight all day long if I plan to shoot it at distance. But I hunt out west, where shots can range from 40 to 800+ yards. If you plan for limiting shots to 500 or less, you can get away with a bit less "shootability".

But first shots always matter. Even with hearts thumping and adrenaline rushing. So make them count.

I kinda went down this rabbit hole for my WinMag build…. Downfall was I pretty much stopped digging and threw dynamite in it.

At then end of the day, it's way easier to cut a pound of weight from gear, or my 250lb body. I wanted a 100% dependable rifle no mater what. Ended up maybe going closer to a my match rifle than a light hunting rig…. Fluted a Marksman profile hawk hill, nice and long at 27" on an AnTi-X. Manners carbon stock. With the NX8 And landed on a super comfortably shooting 10lb rifle. (Before can and bipod )

Just grabbed one of the pack slings, hook the butt into your waists belt pocket and quick release under your arm. Honestly. Not sure I would change much. If I were to do it again.
Love that rifle.

I kinda went down this rabbit hole for my WinMag build…. Downfall was I pretty much stopped digging and threw dynamite in it.

At then end of the day, it's way easier to cut a pound of weight from gear, or my 250lb body. I wanted a 100% dependable rifle no mater what. Ended up maybe going closer to a my match rifle than a light hunting rig…. Fluted a Marksman profile hawk hill, nice and long at 27" on an AnTi-X. Manners carbon stock. With the NX8 And landed on a super comfortably shooting 10lb rifle. (Before can and bipod )

Just grabbed one of the pack slings, hook the butt into your waists belt pocket and quick release under your arm. Honestly. Not sure I would change much. If I were to do it again.
Love that rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_9608.jpeg
    IMG_9608.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 68
Chasing light weight rifle builds becomes more important the older I get. I completely agree that stout recoiling cartridges are not the best candidate for ultra lightweight builds. I have 12# rifles in magnum chambered rifles that are great at the range, but no thanks for long days carrying in the hunting grounds.
My range only rifles weigh 20+ lbs lol. My hunting rifle is 9lbs ready to rock

But, when you go ultra thin, you are sacrificing accuracy by gaining increased vibration/ oscillation upon firing.
The CF barrels are ultra stiff.
They are no less accurate for the coupe shots at a time they are intended for. They do tend to walk as they heat up, but there's not a vibration thing that causes thin barrels to be able to group small numbers of shots worse than anything else.

You don't build a pencil barrel rifle for a range gun, just like you don't put a heavy carbon barrel on a hunting rifle.

@ In Him,.. Have your Gun Smith,..
Copy, the Profile / contour of, a Tikka, T-3, ( NOT, the T-3 X, Lite ) but, the 7mm Rem. Mag or .270 WSM @ 24 Inches and, NO freakin', Flutes !!!
Those Factory Tikka Rifles, weigh about, 6.5 Pounds, sans Scope and 7 3/4 Pounds with, a GOOD Scope,. Except, the Heavy, NF's !
Start with, a good,.. Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, Rock River or, Benchmark, Barrel and you should end up with, an Accurate, 1/2 to 3/4 MOA Rifle with, PROPER, "Tuned" Handloads !
And,.. a TOTAL Rifle Weight of, SUB,.. 8 Pounds !
I do, a 7MM RSAUM or, 7 PRC for, a NICE,.. all around,.. Elk "Thumper" !
CF Barrels, Seem a bit,.. "Hit and Miss",.. on WARM Barrel,.. Accuracy.
I noticed you did not mention Proof Barrels, no exposure??

The ongoing debate over carbon vs steel barrels…. I went through a mid weight build not too long ago. By mid weight I was wanting a 8.5 lb rifle ready to hunt. To me that is the sweet spot. Your preference may be different. I have some pencil barrel with flutes on some factory rifles that are in this weight range. However, I wanted a more substantial barrel on my build without the weight. Carbon is really the only solution when wanting a Sendero contour without the heft. Good luck with your build.
Doing a build myself, any experience with Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrels???

FWIW:

I had a Smith custom build a lightweight 280AI with a 2b Bartlein.
In the plan was to send it off to a very reputable place to be fluted and it turned out very handy and balanced great.

After extensive load development and 146 rounds thru the pipe, I never could get it to shoot as good as a Bartlein barrel should.
So, I called Bartlein and spoke to a great CS guy. After a detailed Q&A session, he asked me how deep the flutes were and said if they were more than xx thousanths deep they couldn't warrant the barrel. I measured and naturally mine were a couple thousanths over their limit for warranty.
I told him who fluted it and he said they did great work but must have missed the measurements on depth of cut.
I sold the barrel afterwards.
Fluting is pretty but realized that 6 straight flutes on a thin profile barrel doesn't save that much weight after all and isn't worth the risk of barrel integrity.
Exactly

Lightest CF barrels out there are Proof and Christensen.

Shooting about 60-80 rifles a year, from .223 to .338 Edge, I would NEVER build a sub-7# 7 Mega or .338 Mega. This is my opinion. Even a 7.5# 7SS will twist in your hand from rotational torque. A lightweight thumper is always going to be more difficult to shoot extremely well. I have seen a lot of buddies build lightweight thumpers, then complain they are "not accurate enough". I don't think it is the rifle's accuracy potential in 90% of those cases.

My lightest rifle is just over 8lbs scoped and suppressed. 6.5PRC/SI. It is as light as I would go. Step up to a 7mm thumper, and I will take an extra 8-16oz of rifle weight all day long if I plan to shoot it at distance. But I hunt out west, where shots can range from 40 to 800+ yards. If you plan for limiting shots to 500 or less, you can get away with a bit less "shootability".

But first shots always matter. Even with hearts thumping and adrenaline rushing. So make them count.
Great advice.