Barrel - Carbon vs. Fluted vs. ?

I've always wondered where the line is there, concerning rigidity. So I keep buying fat heavy blanks with both materials.
Don't know where to draw the line but I have a fluted 3b that's fantastic. Smallest SS I have and it's 26"
Yeah, I don't think I'm looking at doing a super thin profile with flutes. I was thinking more mid-weight. So at Carbon6, a 338 has to be a magnum or bull. I'm unfamiliar with other barrel makers and their profiles other than a sendero and med Palma. But something a tad thinner than the magnum and fluted, would there be a weight savings over the Carbon6 magnum (0.900" at the muzzle)?

The Bartlein #2b begins like a magnum profile but tapers to .630 at the muzzle... Mine did anyway.
The Bartlein #3 is the next slightly heavier profile throughout.
Phil Rizzo's Bartlein 3b that he spoke of is again the next step up and begins to get heavier if your looking for a lightweight build.

Last edited:
@ In Him,.. Have your Gun Smith,..
Copy, the Profile / contour of, a Tikka, T-3, ( NOT, the T-3 X, Lite ) but, the 7mm Rem. Mag or .270 WSM @ 24 Inches and, NO freakin', Flutes !!!
Those Factory Tikka Rifles, weigh about, 6.5 Pounds, sans Scope and 7 3/4 Pounds with, a GOOD Scope,. Except, the Heavy, NF's !
Start with, a good,.. Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, Rock River or, Benchmark, Barrel and you should end up with, an Accurate, 1/2 to 3/4 MOA Rifle with, PROPER, "Tuned" Handloads !
And,.. a TOTAL Rifle Weight of, SUB,.. 8 Pounds !
I do, a 7MM RSAUM or, 7 PRC for, a NICE,.. all around,.. Elk "Thumper" !
CF Barrels, Seem a bit,.. "Hit and Miss",.. on WARM Barrel,.. Accuracy.

Last edited:
just weighed them

Bartlein 26" blank, 7mm, #3; 3# 13.5oz

Bartlein 26" blank, 7mm Carbon Sendero; 3# 8.9oz

That Bartlein #3 is more like a #4 or #5 from other manufacturers too...a true #3 or #2 will always be lighter than a carbon, especially if fluted. You can always flute a carbon barrel too.

That Bartlein #3 is more like a #4 or #5 from other manufacturers too...a true #3 or #2 will always be lighter than a carbon, especially if fluted. You can always flute a carbon barrel too.
Yup…
That's why I tried a Bart 2b and fluted it for a lightweight build.

The ongoing debate over carbon vs steel barrels…. I went through a mid weight build not too long ago. By mid weight I was wanting a 8.5 lb rifle ready to hunt. To me that is the sweet spot. Your preference may be different. I have some pencil barrel with flutes on some factory rifles that are in this weight range. However, I wanted a more substantial barrel on my build without the weight. Carbon is really the only solution when wanting a Sendero contour without the heft. Good luck with your build.

If you need a pencil barrel to get to 8.5lbs, the rest of your build is quite porky. A factory tikka will do that.

I have a pierce action with a Douglas featherweight barrel and a fiberglass stock that comes in at 3lbs 15oz before glass. Most carbon barrels are right about the same weight as my entire rifle.
What caliber is that feather?

Hello all!
As I get ready to pursue the wildcat flavor, what barrel would y'all recommend for a lightweight, accurate, hunting, 20", in a 7Mega and 338Mega or Max?
I have Carbon6 barrels for my 300wm and 280ai. Just not sure it they're the lightest option vs a slimmer profile with flutes.
Thank you,
Brian
If it helps, my 7mm Bartlein CFW #4 barrel chambered in 7mm PRC at 20.75" is about 43oz.

Is it the same caliber and same profile?
The 32" ss is a 26cal Savage magnum profile, the 30" cf is a magnum profile (just less than a bull profile according to when I ordered it). With the 30cal having more bore removed should be even lighter?