Arken EP5 issues?

keclark

At a recent NRL match there was a fellow shooter who was using an Arken EP5 and about halfway through day 1, he went to make an elevation adjustment and the turret went to free spin. He and his buddy tried to reset the set screws but once again it broke free. He went back to the 100yd sight in stage and tried to check zero and retighten the set screws but kept having the same issue.
Luckily someone had a spare optic they were willing to loan him so he could complete the event.

I know they're a relatively cheap optic, just curious if anyone else had experienced this. I've thought about picking up one of these for a 22 trainer, but seeing his troubles has me leery of ever using one in a match.

I have never had an issue with any of the grub screws coming loose. Proper torque will help. I also recommend using Vibra-Tite Vc3 or 122 for that application. It works great, and doesn't dry out like Loctite, and can be loosened and retightened several times without reapplying.

I have never experienced that issue with Arken, nor has my buddy that has 6-7 of them. With that said, I have had the same issue with one NF and 2 Leica's. The issue with the NF was operator error as they are so air tight, if you don't purge all the air, the turret does not go all the way down and your set screw is not engaging the correct area. Also if the set screw was turned in a little before reinstall, it can hit and make it impossible to properly seat. If I had to guess the issue was Operator Error, not scope turret failure.

Mine came loose in the middle of a shoot and tried to get it re zeored quickly but it didn't work out that way.
I went and got my back up rifle and finished. never had a problem since with it.
I thought maybe I didn't have screws tight enough and it works fine ever since.

Last edited:
At a recent NRL match there was a fellow shooter who was using an Arken EP5 and about halfway through day 1, he went to make an elevation adjustment and the turret went to free spin. He and his buddy tried to reset the set screws but once again it broke free. He went back to the 100yd sight in stage and tried to check zero and retighten the set screws but kept having the same issue.
Luckily someone had a spare optic they were willing to loan him so he could complete the event.

I know they're a relatively cheap optic, just curious if anyone else had experienced this. I've thought about picking up one of these for a 22 trainer, but seeing his troubles has me leery of ever using one in a match.
No, I've never had that happen with mine

vibratite will help. just be sure to use a real 2mm allen wrench and lock down the Zero Stop and gold colored grub screws last. 5/64 " hex heads will strip your grub screws. get a real 2mm hex so you don't get stripped head issues.