Are you a SFP or FFP shooter?

Are you a SFP or FFP shooter?

• SFP

Votes: 89 58.6%
  • FFP

Votes: 63 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Haha - ya...but put that game against some dark pines in low light. My first FFP scope did not have illumination. Made it really tough at low light. I shot a buck in that same scenario at 200 yards after sunset. Had to zoom out to 6x to get enough light...had a really really tough time seeing the crosshairs.

Any of you guys who can't comprehend the situation have never hunted the steep canyons in Idaho and Montana. Even when the sun is out it can still be low light if you or the animal are buried down in some steep canyon.

SFP or FFP with or without illumination, 6X is probably where I will have it set for your scenario. However, if I cannot see what's behind, I will pass the shot.

Cheers!

For long range shooting I use only FFP and for hunting large game and varmints I prefer it in telescopic ranges of 2.5 x 15 x 50 (56 if available). With this lower range it is no problem to set it at 4 power, giving me an excellent crosshair for a quick shot if necessary. I believe 15 power on FFP is more than adequate up to a thousand yards.

FFP gets my vote. Sure is nice to have an actual minute value when adjusting calls for a follow up shot or spotting for someone with the magnification pulled way out so you can assess the whole situation. And once i got used to having that capability throughout the magnification range, I feel a little paranoid with my SFP scopes that my calls are off and I'm always second guessing that the magnification is cranked all the way in. Last, for what the up-charge is, it's nice for that fancy reticle to be valid in the entire range, not just cranked all the way down.

FFP gets my vote. Sure is nice to have an actual minute value when adjusting calls for a follow up shot or spotting for someone with the magnification pulled way out so you can assess the whole situation. And once i got used to having that capability throughout the magnification range, I feel a little paranoid with my SFP scopes that my calls are off and I'm always second guessing that the magnification is cranked all the way in. Last, for what the up-charge is, it's nice for that fancy reticle to be valid in the entire range, not just cranked all the way down.
Well said
I went FFP a few years ago and won't be going back for LR use.
I've never had an issue seeing my reticle in low light above 5 power.
My wife shot a bull last season right at last light in heavy timber.
She didn't have any trouble picking up the reticle on my mk5.

Both. I have mostly SFP on most of my rifles, but have a few rifles I am trying to stretch out the distance on, and have acquired a few FFP for those rifles.

Haha - ya...but put that game against some dark pines in low light. My first FFP scope did not have illumination. Made it really tough at low light. I shot a buck in that same scenario at 200 yards after sunset. Had to zoom out to 6x to get enough light...had a really really tough time seeing the crosshairs.

Any of you guys who can't comprehend the situation have never hunted the steep canyons in Idaho and Montana. Even when the sun is out it can still be low light if you or the animal are buried down in some steep canyon.
My very first post on lrh was on this subject, and I said exactly what you did basically, that a person should have illumination if the scope is to be used in really low light. Turned into an all day argument with a guy who sells TT scopes lol.
I have a 2-10 ffp scope, not sure why they make those ffp, the reticle is useless below 8x. I think on the big scopes, when you can use it at 10x, 14x, 18x, 25x or even more it's more useful cause often 14x-16x is enough power and once in awhile I wish I had a ffp scope for that, but other times I'm glad I didn't

Well said
I went FFP a few years ago and won't be going back for LR use.
I've never had an issue seeing my reticle in low light above 5 power.
My wife shot a bull last season right at last light in heavy timber.
She didn't have any trouble picking up the reticle on my mk5.
Was that the 700 yard shot where the eldm blew up on the elks shoulder?

My primary hunting rifle is SFP. My primary long range rifles wear FFP.

As others have mentioned, using low magnification with FFP, I feel like illumination is kinda required.

I was listening to a Vortex podcast and realize that I and I suspect many of my fellow hunters need to define how we want our optic to perform before spending money on an optic.

Characteristics.....not absolutes:

FFP
Use the scale marks in the reticle for ranging or shooting
Trust what you see vs mechanics of optic
Concerned about shoot fast or without complications of turret turn
Can find aim point quick on XY grid
OK with less usable reticle at low power
Use a wider magnification range while shooting due to conditions or preference....usually combined with reticle usage

SFP
Tend to not use reticle except as single aim point
Willing to turn turrets or holdover on long shots
Shots are generally made as point and shoot or methodical turret turning after wind and range confirmed
Generally prefer clean reticle with single aim point or bdc usage at a single magnification....often 8-14x
Due to lower max power, relative to conditions, reticle scale is usable....or no reticle scale usage

Since this is the Long Range Forum, I will focus on my long range stuff. With long range, there is wind and drop....I find myself as an FFP reticle only shooter, unless I'm stuck with SFP due to budget when I bought the optic.

I use Night Force and shepherd scopes. For my long rang hunting -Shepherd FFP good to 1000 yrds. 600 being my personal limit for hunting. Target shooting Night force Bench Rest mil dot SFP with ballistic computer -hand held good SIG 2000 yd range finder and mil dot scope and cold shot base with info for drop at long distance. Cold shot will adjust 150 M.O.A. so with known drop never need to adjust scope itself. Shepherd scope works as advertised for hunting and target shooting. One shot zero and the 18 and 24 power Duel reticle puts you on out to 1000 yds. 18 inch target my 300 win mag and 308 with match grade ammo will both hit circles at 1000 as long as using bipod and steady. I am still playing with my 50 BMG and 338 Lapua with cold shotbase and NF scopes. I dont have a place to shoot past 1000 yds, but should work as it works at 1000 as set up.

Was that the 700 yard shot where the eldm blew up on the elks shoulder?
Nope
But since I clearly stated my buddy shot that bull with a 225 eldm you already know that..
She shot him center chest at 100 yards with a 140 partition, never would have let her take that shot with a 147.

Although not as advanced as many on this site I prefer the 2nd focal plane scopes. I have looked through the 1st focal plane scopes and although the idea that the holdover reticle that is consistent through the power range is appealing to me the disappearing reticle drives me nuts. I still use the reticle on my SFP scopes. For most of my shooting I use the maximum power setting anyway. I also find the halfway point and mark it so if I do need to decrease power I just double the value of the reticle marks. I have found I am a very visually oriented person. the shrinking reticle on FFP scopes as power is decreased gets harder and harder to see and really bothers me. I also feel why have a variable scope if 1/3 of the bottom end is useless. The fact I am no longer 20 years old (as everyone keeps reminding me) is also a factor as I like more magnification. Plus I can always dial if I have the time.

This.

If you shoot at max power, it is the same thing as FFP. 1/2 power = double. That's enough for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts