Are you a SFP or FFP shooter?

Are you a SFP or FFP shooter?

• SFP

Votes: 89 58.6%
  • FFP

Votes: 63 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FFP for varmints @ higher power settings. SFP for targets using the finer reticle. Not a clicker. Use hold offs, especially for rapidly changing wind conditions.

Last edited:
I use both. SFP for all of my hunting rifles and FFP for my PRS rifle. I hunt both desert in Arizona and heavy woods in Pennsylvania. A FFP just doesn't work for hunting in heavy woods when you need low magnification.

I was listening to a Vortex podcast and realize that I and I suspect many of my fellow hunters need to define how we want our optic to perform before spending money on an optic.

Characteristics.....not absolutes:

FFP
Use the scale marks in the reticle for ranging or shooting
Trust what you see vs mechanics of optic
Concerned about shoot fast or without complications of turret turn
Can find aim point quick on XY grid
OK with less usable reticle at low power
Use a wider magnification range while shooting due to conditions or preference....usually combined with reticle usage

SFP
Tend to not use reticle except as single aim point
Willing to turn turrets or holdover on long shots
Shots are generally made as point and shoot or methodical turret turning after wind and range confirmed
Generally prefer clean reticle with single aim point or bdc usage at a single magnification....often 8-14x
Due to lower max power, relative to conditions, reticle scale is usable....or no reticle scale usage

Since this is the Long Range Forum, I will focus on my long range stuff. With long range, there is wind and drop....I find myself as an FFP reticle only shooter, unless I'm stuck with SFP due to budget when I bought the optic.
I used to love FFP. I can't use them anymore. I can't see the reticle on it's lowest magnification in low light.

I have both, but hunt with a SFP scope. I dial up the elevation and have played with the dial vs. the hash marks and it is definately more accurate. My long range is Nightforce comp scope for long range matches. Maybe I'll get the new Swarovski with the built in calculator and just shoot.:)

I really have no preference, I normally buy a scope based on the the following , Optics, internal adjustment available and reticle. My style of shooting for recreation and hunting and growing up in West Texas has shown me that magnification is not a prerequisite in my options as the heat will play havoc at upper zoom power. So If I have to zoom to measure a target or prey than it is only to measure for distance as I have yet to use more than 6 to 7X at long distance to shoot. In more than 50 years of hunting and shooting I have yet to see a need for a rangefinder also, but than I am not the normal person, I still prefer a book for an iPad.

I am not really a low power shooter, I use lower power for location, so FFP works on my end. I am down to 1 SFP scope, on a 10-22 and it works.
My 2nd LR scope was a Leupold FFP, but I fought the transition to FFP, but now that I have went 90% FFP I don't even think about it. I cannot see myself entertaining buying a SFP scope in the future.

I have both but prefer to hunt with SFP ( illuminated Nightforce) as I rarely shoot over 500 yds at game. I have found that stationary or moving targets over 500 yards are for shooters much better than I am. My only game shots at those longer ranges are on an animal already hit but still moving to try to finish the job. Now that I am retired I hope to get enough additional shooting practice to be able to talk about 700-1000 yard shots at some point.:)

I've always shot SFP. I bought a couple of vortex vipers pst gen 2 that are FFP but really haven't given them a chance. Ask again in a year and we will see if I made the change or not

For hunting SFP for target FFP. Run into problem with the FFP up close and low power the cross hair or to thin and small and when you crank it up field of vision is to small.

I was listening to a Vortex podcast and realize that I and I suspect many of my fellow hunters need to define how we want our optic to perform before spending money on an optic.

FFP
Use a wider magnification range while shooting due to conditions or preference....usually combined with reticle usage

SFP
Shots are generally made as point and shoot or methodical turret turning after wind and range confirmed
Generally prefer clean reticle with single aim point or bdc usage at a single magnification....often 8-14x
Due to lower max power, relative to conditions, reticle scale is usable....or no reticle scale usage

Since this is the Long Range Forum, I will focus on my long range stuff. With long range, there is wind and drop....I find myself as an FFP reticle only shooter, unless I'm stuck with SFP due to budget when I bought the optic.
Excellent question s.

FFP

SFP

Spent most of my hunting life shooting Second Focal plane and switched to FFP in 2017 when we started shooting field matches. For the purpose of longe range hunting I am somewhat surprised more have not invested the time to learn about the features and benefits of the FFP. This season I was fortunate to harvest two deer and one mountain line at 600-800 yard range with the FFP scope I practice and compete with. IMHO laser range finding is still key to getting the accurate distance for the elevation adjustment. We reticle range steel targets of known size and do ok with the process. For my personal skill level estimating the size of game and mil ranging them is not accurate enough to attempt shots beyond about 300-400 yards. We zero at 100 and dial up. Where the FFP shines and added the extra feature to execute the 2 kill shots this season was holding the correct wind after the elevation was dialed in the turret. The milradian or (MOA) reference marks are accurate for wind regardless of the power setting. As far as the reticle being "useless" at low power, I again disagree. My ZCO at 4 power essentially becomes a duplex or cross hair and if faced with a 200 yard or less shot the lowest power gives excellent field of view and clear reference for a straight up hold which combined with a 100 yards zero is optimal. The versatility of the FFP is what makes it the preferred system for us.

FFP only on my dedicated LR rigs. I'd never think of using it for ranging...not as accurate as a rangefinder...but I find it useful to adjust wind call as conditions change without constantly reaching for the turret.

SFP for everything else. FFP stinks on a gun where shots might be at low magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts