anyone hunt with blue

Bigeclipse

This may seem dumb but science has shown deer do indeed see color...just not as well as us. They see red the worst and blue the best. I'm curious to see if anyone experienced an issue with blue. My wife wants a blue laminate stock and since this will be a shorter range rifle...0 yards too 200 yards...I'm wondering if she should avoid this and get the purple one. Again I know the biggest factor is movement but I'd hate for her to blow a chance with a buck of a lifetime because it spotted her blue stock...

When I was a young fella without much money, as opposed to old without any now, I bow hunted a few years in blue jeans and a flannel shirt. Shot a few deer this way and can't ever recall getting picked up because of the jeans, more often because I was young and couldn't sit still:rolleyes:.

It's also not uncommon to see guys here with blaze orange coats and blue jeans. They shoot deer just fine. I'd say let here get whatever color tickles her fancy.

Chris

I have hunted whitetails for 45 years wearing blue jeans with no issues. Just sit still and use your eyes and binoculars. Our season is nearly 3 months long and I see plenty of deer. Gary

As a very young hunter, I did make the observation that when I was wearing a camo jacket and blue jeans, even not moving deer could pick me up immediately when standing and would not see me sitting (covering up the blue jeans). Saw this happen over and over. Switched to camo pants, they didn't pick me up anymore.

At the time, I blamed it on using normal detergents with brighteners. At least that's what the talk was 20+ years ago. I don't know for sure, but I still don't wash my hunting clothes with actual detergent, and they rarely pick me up without movement.

I sure hope blue isn't a dead giveaway, I just finished bedding my deer rifle in a stock with blue in it. :D

A deer's vision is in shades of gray or "gray scale" like an old black and white TV.

If she want's a blue stock get her a nice laminate that has blue and you'll have it made all the way around.

I have hunted whitetails for 45 years wearing blue jeans with no issues. Just sit still and use your eyes and binoculars. Our season is nearly 3 months long and I see plenty of deer. Gary

One of the biggest deer I saw at the processor this year was bagged one evening buy a guy who went straight to the stand from his job as an excavator operator. His work jacket was blue, even had his name embroidered on it. He had so much diesel on his boots you could smell him 10 feet away.

Sit still.

Saaay WHAT? Notice the weatherby Tatto 340 -10 degree up hill 500+back when I had hair

Attachments

• 340 tatoo.jpg
    340 tatoo.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 40
All these responses were kind of what I figured just wanted to hear some real world experience. Thanks everyone!

Deer can "see blues and greens" better than reds and oranges. But they can spot movement in a heartbeat, regardless of the color.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.