anyone hunt with 50bmg? what bullets do you use?

JB1000br,

Unless that was a +40" barrel, I would recommend dropping that velocity down to the 2750-2800 fps range out of 36" barrels.

I have a 36" barreled 50 and with that barrel length I can have driven the 750 gr A-Max to an honest 2830 fps but the primer pockets in the IMI cases actually started to loosen, not to mention, it kicked like a mule!!

Anyway, you will get more velocity with the 20n29 but that is a hot load unless it was out of a +40" barrel.

Not flaming at all, just want to keep guys safe, there is a reason the 50 BMG is loaded to the 50,000-55,000 psi range, that huge case head developes a tremendous amount of bolt trust even at these levels.

Loading to modern magnum 65,000 psi levels can stress an action dramatically.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Bullet selection in the 50 is largely limited by the gun itself.Most of the non-custom guns can't accurately shoot the borerider bullets so they are out.The military surplus stuff has low bc numbers sub.700 and poor accuracy.This leaves you with A-Max and Barnes solids as across the counter bullets.The A-Max would get my nod in a easy to get bullet.The reason the big fifty isn't more popular in the long range hunting arena is many states place a weight limit on big game rifles which puts the pure target rifles out of the equation.If you want an expanding copper-jacketed/lead cor bullet contact Lynn McMurdo who currently holds the world record for smallest 5 shot group in a light gun at 1000 yards at.
Lynn McMurdo
P.O. Box 404
Afton,Wyoming 83110
Or Call 307-886-5535
Lynn

Kirby--gun wanst mine and has since been sold, but thanks for the heads up
wink.gif

JB
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.