Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

For what it is worth there is an older post in the elk hunting section about hunting with the creedmoor. If I remember correct a member by the name of hognutz killed a bull elk with his shooting a 140 amax I think at 650 yards. Might want to look it up. Its a few page thread of good info on hunting with the creedmoor. :)

Thanks for the input guys. The consensus of most is that if you can place the shot and the yardage is within reason for the size of the animal your trying to kill that I should be fine. And factoring in my past hunting results that definitely makes a lot of sence. I've shot a deer at 25 yards with a .460xvr and 260gr bullet in the vitals and had it run 100+ feet and I saw a guy on you tube shoot an elk at 75 yards with the same gun and it dropped its knees. So shot placement trumps caliber within reason.

Been saying this for years....But some folks believe all the hype and think they have to have a howitzer to kill at long range with.

unless berger came out with a hunting hybrid and I been sleeping, DO NOT use the 140 target hybrid on game. I did on 3 crop damage deer and it is a hit or miss proposition on expansion, even at mid-ranges.

I think we are talking about two separate questions

First, will a 6.5 Creedmoor kill an elk.....the answer is yes, hell i used to harvest cow elk with my 22-250 to fill my freezer.

Second, should the OP use a 6.5 CM over a 300WSM for an upcoming elk hunt...I say no and I would not consider a WSM a howitzer.

I love my Creedmoor and its the most accurate rifle that I own but ill advise against it for everyday elk hunting, it will work but there are better choices especially if the op already owns an alternative.

I'm talking about the people who say you can't kill elk efficiently at long range with anything less than a RUM or Lapua....

.300 WSM is not a howitzer, I was simply commenting...I wasn't talking any of the calibers mentioned in here.

built a 260 rem. for my recoil shy son, on a 98 maus. 25" clerke bbl. .695 at the muzzle. shooting 140gr. speer GS flt.base at 2710, he drew a cow tag for the valle vidal in New Mexico, hit a cow alittle low behind the heart she dropped in her tracks at 125yds. the herd took off and she got up went about 25 or 30 yds. one more thru the rt. ham going straight away she piled up . I looked for that bullet because thats what I do, it penetrated a paunch full of grass found the jacket at the mouth of the stomach and the lead in her neck. inspite of so called bullet failure that was the deadest elk in the valle that day. some 40"+ of penetration, now if you want to shoot Loooong Range then by all means use the boomers, but liveing it is a long way from theoretical! that bullet went thru a mess of tissue and quite frankly I was amazed. I would not hesitate to "HUNT" with that set up out to 600 yds. again key word HUNT spot and stalk. the 260 is not that much different than the 6.5cm. thanks for putting up with my rant guys. shoot what your confident and proficint with, can't go wrong.

I'm talking about the people who say you can't kill elk efficiently at long range with anything less than a RUM or Lapua....

.300 WSM is not a howitzer, I was simply commenting...I wasn't talking any of the calibers mentioned in here.

I agree that most folks tend to think they need to be overgunned for elk and I would rather guide a shooter with a mid size cartridge capable of 1.5 MOA in the field than one with a t-Rex killer hoping to hit the barn door cause they are flinching so much from the muzzle blast of the M8B6 super fat boy 11* ported muzzle diffuser.......... no offense meant by reference to the WSM and a howitzer...........:D

Originally Posted by MudRunner2005

I agree that most folks tend to think they need to be overgunned for elk and I would rather guide a shooter with a mid size cartridge capable of 1.5 MOA in the field than one with a t-Rex killer hoping to hit the barn door cause they are flinching so much from the muzzle blast of the M8B6 super fat boy 11* ported muzzle diffuser.......... no offense meant by reference to the WSM and a howitzer...........:D

What exactly is "overgunned"? And what exactly is overgunned on a 900 lb bull elk @ 1000 yds or more? Can you define that for me please?

Ya know fellas, this is Long Range Hunting. The members here who take up that sport shoot rifles that are capable of shooting 1/2 MOA or better and sub MOA at extended ranges and they are capable of accurately shooting at those ranges and the vast majority of them use muzzle brakes for a number of reasons. It is their individual responsibility to know the limitations of their rifle and their own self. Speculating on the ability to hit a barn door really isn't appropriate here.

I have a good friend who is 4 for 4 on bull elk with a 243 which is the only rifle he owns. He knows how to use it and it works for him and I don't tell him what to use or not use and how far he can use it. That said, if someone ASKS me what to use for elk, I would never tell them to go buy a 243, or a 6.5 Creemoor. If they ask me, "can I kill an elk with a 243 or a 6.5 Creedmoor?", I would say yes, it's possible, but not the best choice, especially depending on the range since we talk Long Range here. The fact that they're asking me tells me they have little to no experience elk hunting.

This fall, my long range arsenal will include a 6x284, 6.5 WSM and 300 RUM. I will use the RUM for elk and the other 2 for deer and antelope. If my RUM were to become unusable for some reason, I would use my 6.5 WSM for elk and I would probably use the new 160 Matrix bullet. My range limit would probably be about where it reaches 2000 fps in velocity and I would pass on front quartering shots and only take a shot that I could take out both lungs. A one lunged elk can run a loooong way.

Also, there's been a lot of talk about shooting cows. There is a big difference between a 400-500 lb cow and a 6 yr old large bodied 900 lb bull. I've shot both.

To the OP, no offense intended, but IMO this thread is better suited for a site like 24 hr Campfire as i don't associate the 6.5 Creedmoor with Long Range Elk Hunting. That said, my recommendation would be to use your WSM or Lapua for elk hunting at any range and use the Creedmoor for deer. If you do use your Creedmoor for elk, use a heavy good performing bullet (like the 160 Matrix) within it's effective range. Good luck with your hunt.

Lastly, I have never hunted large coastal brown bears and I would never presume to go to an Alaskan Hunting forum and recommend what to use for hunting coastal brown bears. I'll let the experienced bear hunters do that. I would recommend the same to those who have not hunted and killed elk.

It's all good man, don't sweat it. Just glad we could get on the same page. :)

And here we go again......

But this time, I'm not even gonna get sucked into the BS.

You asked for it again, just like you seem to do with every thread of yours...

Been saying this for years....But some folks believe all the hype and think they have to have a howitzer to kill at long range with.

You seem to open this can of worms in every one of your threads. You get mad when anyone says use the bigger caliber FOR ELK and you claim no one listens to you that if you are accurate, it works just as good. Well, maybe YOU should try listening to what everyone else says for once...

As someone who has ACTUALLY SHOT ELK, I agree with Montana on this one. You should use the 300WSM since you have one. If you only had the Creedmoor and were planning an elk hunting trip, I would not tell you to go buy another rifle for the hunt because the Creedmoor can work. However, when having the choice between the two, you should definitely go with the 300. I understand that if you place the bullet just right, a .22 would work to kill elk. However, bullet placement is not always perfect and having the larger caliber with more energy always helps for those less than perfect shots. And even for those perfect shots, more energy means more knockdown power. I have seen a cow elk with two perfectly placed 220gr pills take off running like she wasn't even hit. Anything that helps avoid that situation is always helpful. Just my two cents...

By the way, to the OP, I forgot that you also have a .338. That is obviously a great option as well depending on the weight of the rifle and how much walking you plan to put in. A lot also depends on the max range that you are looking at shooting. Good luck!

I never mentioned any specific caliber in this thread. I agree that of those 2 calibers, the 300 WSM would be the more suitable and logical option. I never said I would choose the 6.5 Creed over the 300 WSM, or at what distance it was capable of killing an elk. Being that I've never shot an Elk, that would be stupid of me. I just said that yes, it was capable of killing an elk...Which everyone agreed that it is, but as others on here have said, at a limited range comparatively.

I have been shooting guns literally my entire life. I know how larger diameter bullets vs smaller diameter bullets work & function, and that their wound cavity is greater, vital shock is more intense and severe, they're more forgiving, they produce greater internal damage, a larger bleed hole, etc... I have never once argued that, b/c facts are facts. I HAVE argued that it is not always necessary to have the largest rifle available to get the job done. That is all I have been saying. I never once said the smaller caliber was more capable than the larger caliber, because that would be obsurd. I have stated that some 7mm projectiles have a higher BC than some of the .30 caliber projectiles. And that the 7mm's have a flatter trajectory based on their shape and design. And that they can also get the job done. Might not be quite as intense of an impact or results, but capable none-the-less.

I might not have always said it in quite the positive conveyance, and for that I do appologise for the confusion, and my overzealousness. I do not like getting into confrontations (I know it appears quite differently), but I do not. These are, however, internet forums for people to discuss things, instead of being short-sided and 1-dimensional.

I'm sure we can all agree on this, and move along in a civil manner. I will quit giving my opinion in this thread, as it is apparantly unwanted. Good luck to the OP, and hope you have a good seasonal harvest.

And for the record...This post is in no way intended to be sarcasm, so there is no need for sarcastic retorts.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.