Anyone convert a tikka 260 to "long action"?

Winny94

I'm considering converting my tikka 260 to the "long action" so I don't need to worry about dept with Berger hunting VLDs. Has anyone done this? Was it neccessary? Worth the hassle?

I'm considering converting my tikka 260 to the "long action" so I don't need to worry about dept with Berger hunting VLDs. Has anyone done this? Was it neccessary? Worth the hassle?
You can't convert a short action to long action.

What you need to do to accomplish what you want is to start off with a long action and build from there.

What do you mean by "converting" to long action?

You can't convert a short action to long action.

What you need to do to accomplish what you want is to start off with a long action and build from there.

Tikkas only have 1 size action. Short action cartridges then have a blocked mag and different bolt stop. If you choose you can replace the bolt stop and use their "long action" aka unblocked mags and essentially have a long action. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen a benefit in doing this with a 260, especially for 140gr bergers.

Tikkas only have 1 size action. Short action cartridges then have a blocked mag and different bolt stop. If you choose you can replace the bolt stop and use their "long action" aka unblocked mags and essentially have a long action. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen a benefit in doing this with a 260, especially for 140gr bergers.
Ahh, that's what I love about this place. If I read enough I can learn something every day.

You get into the same things with model 70's if you want to go from a standard long action to RUM length cartriges. With them all you need is a competent gunsmith used to working with the action to open it up and modify the bolt stop.

I would imagine that all you need is a gunsmith who works with the Tikkas to do the same thing. Good luck.

Ok that makes a little more sense. I did not know that about tikka rifles. If you can get the different mag box and replace or modify the bolt stop to accommodate a longer oal I see no down side.

I did this to my friend's 308 for more bullet seating depth. We bought a 30-06 magazine and altered the bolt stop as shown by Tikka Shooters:

I also called Tikka Shooters in Montana. We talked about the hammer forged barrels that Tikka makes. I was told that the hammer forging machine is far superior to what companies like Remington use. I would agree as my hawkeye borescope showed me a smooth bore with no reamer marks. The finish reminded me of the soft look you get when bead blasting the outside of a SS barrel.

Two Tikka Shooter's videos, there quite a few others but these two may be the most useful:

altering bolt stop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4rCsOohVks

trigger adjustment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XftqYIR3NZ0

tikka shooter's website

Tikka Shooters | Dedicated To Tikka Owners And Their Passion!

What OAL are you expecting?? Loaded some 260 with 123gr in my Tikka mags to 2.915 and they fit fine. How much further are you looking to go?

Are you utilizing that extra space? Did you get an increase in accuracy?

Yes I did. My T3 260 is the hunter with the wood stock. The recoil lug wasn't all
that tight in the stock slot, so I put the tikka composite stock on the rifle. I'm still
playing around with loads and seating depth. But with a COAL of 2.85 with
Barnes TTSX 120's (and 43.1 grains of H4350. MV 2750) it shoots at .5 MOA and sometimes less at 100. That is a .076 jump on my rifle.

With 140 grain Amax at 2.93 COAL (44.5 grains of RL 22, MV 2720) it is also right at .5 MOA at 100. (.033 jump) I just started with these 140's and will play with this all winter.

Both of these are too long for the 260 magazine.

yea those mags are tiny. If you were able to find a way to fit a CTR mag in there (probably pretty tough), you could go with something longer like 2.9 or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.