Converting a tikka t3 to 6.5 PRC

Yes I am still on the fence with that 270WSM barrel. Thinking I'll just use it up as is before rebarreling it. I didn't know about the 165/170gr bullets. Fully aware of the 145 eldx and the 156.
It's a great caliber and very accurate in the Tikka. I did the same thing you are doing. I shot the stock rifle until barrel death then put a 1:8 twist barrel on it. Wow! It's a badass rig! Makes my friends with 7 mags jealous and really leaves the 6.5's behind for larger animals like elk, with all the heavier bullets. Mine is my main mountain hunting rifle now and weighs 7 lbs 15 oz fully loaded and ready to shoot to 1000 yds. Very accurate rifle for its weight. I've been impressed with the build.

Attachments

• 20180918_194341.jpg
    20180918_194341.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 370
It's a great caliber and very accurate in the Tikka. I did the same thing you are doing. I shot the stock rifle until barrel death then put a 1:8 twist barrel on it. Wow! It's a badass rig! Makes my friends with 7 mags jealous and really leaves the 6.5's behind for larger animals like elk, with all the heavier bullets. Mine is my main mountain hunting rifle now and weighs 7 lbs 15 oz fully loaded and ready to shoot to 1000 yds. Very accurate rifle for its weight. I've been impressed with the build.

That is a cool 2 point Muley. Wide and deep forks.
Looks like you did a lot of work to that tikka. Special fluted bolt, New stock and barrel. What contour barrel did you use and who made it?

That is a cool 2 point Muley. Wide and deep forks.
Looks like you did a lot of work to that tikka. Special fluted bolt, New stock and barrel. What contour barrel did you use and who made it?
That's a blacktail buck from the northern California mountains where I live. My profile picture is another black tail as well. For my Tikka I got a light contour 1:8 twist match grade barrel from K&P barrels. My smith did the rest. Fluted the bolt, carbon fiber handle, lighter springs in the trigger which is now at 2 lbs. It's really turned this rifle into a beast! The 270 wsm with 156 grain hammer hunters or 170 grain Berger eol at 3000 fps is a special breed. I have a 6.5 and 300 win mag. Gathering dust because this 270 wsm is the perfect blend of flat trajectory, accuracy to 1000 yds, ease to reload and all in rifle under 8 lbs....you really can't beat it! I still take my 300 wm with 200 grain bullets for elk into grizzly country or areas not quite so rugged or brushy as it is 10 lbs and has a 28" barrel but it's not the easiest thing to pack around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.