Converting a tikka t3 to 6.5 PRC

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Majja13, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Majja13

Majja13 Active Member

I would like to build a 6.5 PRC on a tikka action. What would be the best donor so that i have the least amount of parts to swap. Also what other cals, use the same brass or parent case.

Thank You
    Matt

2. dirtytough

dirtytough Active Member

I think it would be best to start with a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. That way you already have the long action bolt stop, mag bolt face, and you have a magazine that you can load out as far as you need to in. I believe the short action magazine you are limited to about 2.890ish. You might have to modify the magazine a little. I'm too lazy to look at the case dimensions of the 300 and the 6.5 PRC to compare and see if they have the same body size. I know my brother had to ream out an old magazine a little to get the WSM case to fit and feed in a long action mag.

Regards, Branden

Barrelnut likes this.
  3. Weatherby Fan

Weatherby Fan Well-Known Member

Yes any of the Magnum Actions should work fine, 7mm,300, 338
    The 6.5 PRC Hornady factory ammo is loaded to a maximum length 2.955”

4. Majja13

Majja13 Active Member

Thank you that is what i was thinking. Now the big question is the 6.5 prc that much better for a deer and cow elk, hunting round then a 6.5 creedmoor? The goal of this rifle is a lighter weight pack rifle, and in a lot of the area we go it is thick so it would be 300ydsor less.

5. 257Tony

257Tony Well-Known Member

Inside 300 yards there is no practical difference between the creedmoor and the prc. Beyond 400 is where the prc can strut it's stuff

Hand Skills and Canhunter35 like this.
  6. Knuckleballz

Knuckleballz Member

I think 300 wsm, 7 wsm or 270 wsm are better elk caliber choices to use in a tikka action with magnum bolt for longer high bc bullets. I got a great deal on a tikka 7rem mag and am wrestling with which caliber to rebarrel for for a light weight elk rifle.

7. Majja13

Majja13 Active Member

Thanks All

8. blackaj

blackaj Well-Known Member

I re-barreled a Tikka 7mm rem to 6.5 saum and I can tell you that the PRC case would be the best option in a Tikka magazine.
    The SAUM and WSM cases are too fat and occasionally I have feeding issues, it shoots so dang good that I'm just living with it..
    I can tell you the 6.5 SAUM is an elk killer, and the 6.5 PRC is basically a ballistic twin with available brass

IHFarmer07 likes this.
  9. jb1023

jb1023 Well-Known Member

I bought and re-barreled a Tikka T3 7RM into a 6.5SS, pretty sure the SS and PRC are similar as they are both short magnums. I opted to go with an aftermarket DBM and use Alpha Type 4 mags rather than modding 7RM mags as that also allows me a full 10rds in a mag vs I think 8 in a 7RM mag. For the DBM and 2 mags I spent ~$400 and it took about 2 weeks for the in-letting/shipping so you will need to factor that in. I can't answer your ballistic questions though as I'm just a paper puncher.

10. dirtytough

dirtytough Active Member

The mountain tactical LA billet mags feed a 7SS fine with plenty of room to seat bullets out as long as you would like in a short action round like the 6.5 PRC.