What Action to Convert

Frankie_2_Times

I've been searching for a left handed stainless rifle in .300 for some time. I've come across several other rifles, but not in the caliber I was looing for. What is required to convert a rifle from one caliber to another? How do I go about determining whether or not an action in one caliber is capable of handing a larger round?

I've found quite a few deals on LH 30-06 and 7mm mags and wanted to know if either of these could be converted to a .300 WIN, WBY or RUM, or perhaps a .338 WIN. If these calibers ar not capable of being converted, what would be. Thanks

Sorry for the newbie type questions, but I'll never know unless I ask.

Frank

The '06 receivers will just need the bolt face and feed rails opened up slightly if they are Rem 700 receivers. New mag box as well.

The 7mm Rem Mag will not need anything but accurizing if you want and a new barrel fitted.

Is this the same Frank I have been chatting with via e-mail??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

I've got a Savage 116FLSS in 300 Win and a 111FL as well. Both of these are NIB but are pre-accutrigger guns so I can make you a helluva deal on them!!

Shoot me an email to address in my profile if your interested.

Thanks,
B.J.

Well, while I have been sitting here typing so slow I see your question is already answered by Kirby. Asking the gunsmith directly is the best way to get the best answer.

Anyway here is my slow typing answer.

First good indication is short action or long action.
Second good indication is bolt face. There are three usual sizes of bolt face. 0.378 (223 caliber for example), 0.473 (308 & 30-06 etc), and 0.532 (normal belted magnum such as 7mm Rem).

The easiest route to go is to get the correct lenght of action in the correct bolt face. If you want a 300Win Mag then look for a 7mm Rem or other similar belted mag of approximately the same length.

For exotic cartridges with extra large bolt faces (378Wby, 338LM, 416Rig) you should talk to your gunsmith. For short action cartridges where you may want to seat the bullet way on out, you should talk to the gunsmith because he may recommend a long action.

For regular and normal cartridges you can just go to your reloading manual and make a list of all the cartridges that have the same case head diameter that you want and then go up on Remingtons web site and see which ones are sold with a long action and which ones are sold in a short action.

Some of the long actions with a 0.473 bolt face can be opened up to a 0.532 boltface. This may or may not involve working the feed rails. If you are going to have the action trued anyway and a different extractor installed it may be no big deal once the gunsmith starts to square up the boltface, to just cut it open.

Yeah Kirby, that would be me. Just trying to find another option. I think I may have located an LH LSS in .300 RUM in a shop locally. But until I have it in my hands, I'm not not counting my chickens. Speaking of chickens, the RUM was more recoil than I thought I could shoot accurately, but with the addition of the brake, should be no problem.

This post is an attempt to find other options for locating a rifle/action. Looks like from your post, if I find a good deal on the 7mm, I might just have you upgrade the barrel and add the brake at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of chickens, the RUM was more recoil than I thought I could shoot accurately, NAH!
but with the addition of the brake, WILL! be no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shoot a 338 250 gr bullets @ 2800 out of a 700 BDL w/Holland Brake in a tee shirt with no after affects what ever. I shoot an Interarms 243 w/100 gr bullet at 2900 wearing the same tee shirt (wife says I never change) and after a bunch of shots it stings a bit. Not so w/the 338.

Just FYI. Besides that, some day you may wish to "effectively harvest" somethin'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.