What to do with a Rem 700 Action

bjlooper

Hi Guys
I just bought a Rem 700 30-06 (it was so cheap I couldn't not buy it) My problem is I don't have any plans for it. What would you do with it in the Long Range catagory. Any sugestions are apreciated.
Thanks
Dr B

284 win, using Lapua 6.5x284, shoot 162 grain A-max at 3000fps. Get a 28" barrel. Oh, and since the barrel will last you up to 3000 rounds, buy them in bulk. You will get a better price!

I live in SC and whitetail deer is about out largest
animal. A 200 pound whitetail deer here is a BIG deer. A
few may be larger. A 260 will handle up to 140 grain bullet which is more than adequate for our deer. A 140 grain PT has a BC of .490 (only the 175 gr. 7mm is higher in the PT bullets) which should give superb performance "way out yonder". There are plenty of capable bullets availabe to fill my needs. The 260 is suppose to have very mild recoil. I am convinced that accuracy is somewhat inversely related to recoil and directly related to practice. Yes I know you don't shoot many shots while hunting and most hunters never notice recoil or muzzle blast.... but maximum prficiency with a rifle is attained with practice, the more the better. Practice is much more enjoyable and much more likely to happen with a caliber and rifle that is pleasant to shoot. For me all of the above mentioned desirable qualities are filled with a 260. Of course there are other calibers that can and probably do come close to my description of a perfect rifle for SC but the 260 does it best for me.

If I lived in the NE or out west where the game is much larger and I spent more time hunting larger game I would have a bit heavier caliber. That being said if I ever make that one or maybe at best two dreamed of but unlikely hunting trips out west for Elk or up in the NE for Moose,I can kill either by picking my shots and getting my game within range of my 260, which incidentally is a respectable range according to those who live in those locations and take such game with this caliber.

The 260 will fill 98% of my needs & is pleasant & reltively economical to shoot. Seems reasonable to me. Others may likely have a different preference.

I have hunted in SC for 35 years & used 243, 6mm, 30-30, many 270s, 30-06 & 22-250. Many years ago I decided the 270 was our ultimate caliber. I still think it will be hard to beat .... I am now of the opinion the 260 is close behind with less recoil & very little loss of performance.

Texas Dave look at the ballistics on the 168 or 175gr Match King bullets out of the 308 and compair them to the 140gr class Match bullets out of a 260. The 260 beats the 308 all the way out.

The 260 shooting a 140 A-max is actualy in the same class ballisticaly as a 300 Win mag and a 190gr Sierra match king with about half the recoil and of corse less energy but the drop and wind bucking ability are the same or very close.

Thanks for all the advice I think I'm goin to do somthing on the 284 case. Has any body tried the .22-284? What twist would you need for the 80-90gr VLD bullets.

Fiftydriver what case did you use for your .223AM?

Dr B

I know a fella that had a 22-284 and after it died in about 600 rounds he rebarreled to 22-243 and got the same velocities and got about another 500 rounds of life out of it , around 3700fps in a 28" barrel with the 80gr SMK's if I remember right.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.