What to do with my 700 BDL Varmint Special

Then I say "Go 'head on, boy!"

I would too. Obviously the gun has been working just fine for years with the extra holes and it's doubtful they are deep enough to pose a safety hazard or it would have already failed.

I've actually seen worse on some AR's where someone drilled extra holes to pin or install set screws to secure loose gas blocks.

Ouch. .280AI, christensen or Proo Research carbon wrapped barrel so so you could the stock

If those extra holes are threaded....
Run some solder into them to the top..Sand them down nice and smooth...add some liquid bluing and let them disappear...
On the other side...if rebarreling..
65284 will work just fine on that receiver as well as your 280ai....
Having both...i prefer the 65284...
My smith nearly talked me into the 338/06 hes been making since working with his dad....many years ago....he's done hundreds.....but I've no need for one...65 or at will do everything I need...

And we never got the end results..

Greetings all.....first post on here.

So I acquired a 1971 Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in 25-06 a few years ago with the intention on getting serious about long range varmint hunting. 6 years and 4 kids later, Plans have changed. I have honestly only shot it a dozen times and while it shoots great, it mainly just takes up space in the safe and needs sold or a facelift. It is in immaculate condition due to it's extremely low round count, and should have brought a pretty penny....until I removed the scope and realized it's previous owner did a number to the barrel with a drill and tap....my guess is while installing (or attempting to) a Unertl mount. So the collection value Of this rifle has diminished...which is a shame bc of its rareness and great condition otherwise.

Anyway, trying to decide what to do with it.

Here is my short list of options:

1. Sell it. What would this rifle reasonably be worth with the cosmetic issue on the barrel? (Pics attached) I've seen them go for $1k in mint condition.

2. Rebarrel and restock into a LR hunting rifle for medium game. Thinking .280AI

3. Upgrade to a magnum bolt face, and build a .338 RUM bear and moose killer.

4. Keep it as is and let the kids shoot the heck out of it when they get a little bigger.

I am hoping for suggestions and ideas. I do not own any custom rifles, yet. And the best case scenario for me would be to get a fair price for it and put towards that goal. What would you do with it if it was yours?
PM me if interested in selling