What to do with my Model 721 30-06

Crab

First of all, I never sell guns and seldom trade. This was my grandfathers and has killed many animals over the years including my first buck at 14. Well, it's been sitting in the safe unfired for over 20years. It's a great shooter, but I will probably never hunt with it again. Just curious if there is any conversion out there that would put this gun back in action. What are my options with the model? Just had a 300RUM built, so looking for more of a long range light load.

I know of two different guys that have re-barreled their mod 721s to 284 win just this last summer. shooting a 162 grain Amax or a berger will supersonic to around 1500 yrds. and the recoil is very controllable without a brake.

Nice! I might consider going that rout, but really looking for something in the 110 grain range. Being a long action, maybe I should stick with the the heavier loads?

crab, I take my reamer to my smith this week. My 29" Kreiger came in friday. The difference between you and myself is I have a pushfeed Long action winchester that I bought way back when I was 14. I am building a 284 IMP. It holds 5 grains more powder then the standard 284.

Nice! I might consider going that rout, but really looking for something in the 110 grain range. Being a long action, maybe I should stick with the the heavier loads?

A 6mm of some sort would fit. The long action gives lots of room to use as a repeater with heavy 6mm bullets. With the existing bolt face you could go 6mmRem, 243Win, 6-284, 6-06...and lots of other wildcats/improved versions/etc..

That's what I'm looking for. The .243 seems ultra popular right now and don't mind going that rout. Of the 6mm rounds, which one is going to stabilize the longest distance. I'm looking for the ultimate coyote, rock chuck round. Keep in mind, I don't have to use the 721, I just have one and don't mind altering. Been looking at the .243AI

How far do you really plan to shoot it and how often? You could build a real hot rod but you'll sacrifice barrel life, probably lots of it. My 6BRs make it to 1000+ so you don't need huge horsepower to get out there a long ways.

I have a Ruger Mark II Varmint in 220swift that has had a bit of work done to it. It shoots very well to 400yrds and go through 200-400 rounds a year, probably a hundred of those pushing the distance. I'd really like to keep it the way it is and build another varmint kill'n machine that will take out everything from 400-1000+ and pack enough energy to buck the wind. Probably wouldn't run more then 200 rounds through it a year if that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts