Tikka long action?

I would look at sportsman's warehouse if feasible. They have been discounting certain tikkas lately, also call whittakers guns in Kentucky. Depending on what you want built, there's definitely a market for new parts removed from tikkas. The prices for a 700 build are definitely not fluffed, I've been down every route. My custom tikkas have brought me more money than 700 builds if you did decide to sell. A long action will have some limitations depending on cartridge and bullet choice, but you can also buy a tikka and upgrade as you see fit. Factory tikka barrels are very good too, I'm biased based on about 15 barrels worth of experience

I would look at sportsman's warehouse if feasible. They have been discounting certain tikkas lately, also call whittakers guns in Kentucky. Depending on what you want built, there's definitely a market for new parts removed from tikkas. The prices for a 700 build are definitely not fluffed, I've been down every route. My custom tikkas have brought me more money than 700 builds if you did decide to sell. A long action will have some limitations depending on cartridge and bullet choice, but you can also buy a tikka and upgrade as you see fit. Factory tikka barrels are very good too, I'm biased based on about 15 barrels worth of experience
YUP,.. that's where I bought mine, I had it shipped in from, a Utah store, an old stock, T3, SS Lite, Lefty, in .243 Win. cal. at $649 then, put about, $100 in Mod's on it ( Steel recoil Lug, YoDave Trig Spg, Kydex Cheek Riser (made myself, after YouTube, "look"), checked Free Float, Cleaned, polished barrel with, 20 strokes of, JB's then, "broke in", properly,.. "Shoots",.. GREAT ! Got 2 Tikka's now, with, Scopes/ Mounts all "built" for UNDER,.. $1,200 !

@ Mudrunner,.. You AIN'T building, an "accurate" TRUED, Rem 700 for under, $2,200. unless, you did it,.. yourself or did it,..30 years ago ! I'm no Genius, but I can, "add" up, PRESENT Day COSTS and found the "Tikka way" to be, MUCH,.. cheaper ! That's why I own, 2 of them and WHY, I still HAVE,.. an older, Factory "stock" Rem 700 that, I shoot, "as is"! PS,.. I am shooting, from 1/4 to 1/2 MOA, 3 shot groups with, Hand Loads from my Factory "Stock" (with less than $100 in "Mod's") out of, my T3, Tikka .243 Win. using, the FACTORY Trigger with, a $19.00 YoDave Spring, set at, a CRISP, 1 Pound pull.
Apparently, you have never shot, a Tikka,.. have you ?? Why, "run down" something that, YOU say that,.. you have very little, knowledge of ?
You seem positive about that... I can't help but laugh. The only work I do myself is the trigger job afterwards.

Donor 700 ADL (with older Walker trigger) - $350
BDL conversion - $150
Used HS stock - $250
Bartlein blank - $350
Gunsmithing fees @ my Smith which includes bedding, chambering, blueprinting, and assembling - $250

Total $1,350

My bad, I was off by $150...

All rifles shoot between 1/4 to 1/2 MOA.

You seem positive about that... I can't help but laugh.

Donor 700 ADL - $350
BDL conversion - $150
Used HS stock - $250
Bartlein blank - $350
Gunsmithing fees @ my Smith which includes bedding, chambering, blueprinting, and assembling - $250

Total $1,350

My bad, I was off by $150...

Bingo, labor, you paid for bedding, the rest was free!!!

But we aren't comparing normal rates for normal rates and you know that so don't act like that's the norm cause it's not even close!!

You can't come in with a ridiculous low-ball and expect not to get called on it! Your same smith should charge under $100 for a Tikka since there is less time in the machine work and easier to bed.

ADL,.. NEEDS, the Magazine, floor plate and follower,.. $80-$100.
Trigger to EQUAL, a Tikka ?? $140.00 for Timney !
Your Gunsmith is,.. working for Peanuts, AS MOST "good ones" charge $250-$300 just to Blue print, the action, Plus $100.00 to Bed, PLUS $300-$350 to Chamber !
My figures come from,.. Mike Bryant's Web Site, because He's GOOD and Reasonable !

But we aren't comparing normal rates for normal rates and you know that so don't act like that's the norm cause it's not even close!!
For local smiths around here, that is normal rates. I've had 2 different local smiths build rifles for me, and the prices were comparable. The first retired, the 2nd is my current Smith.

ADL,.. NEEDS, the Magazine, floor plate and follower,.. $80-$100.
Trigger to EQUAL, a Tikka ?? $140.00 for Timney !
Your Gunsmith is,.. working for Peanuts, AS MOST "good ones" charge $250-$300 just to Blue print, the action, Plus $100.00 to Bed, PLUS $300-$350 to Chamber !
My figures come from,.. Mike Bryant's Web Site, because He's GOOD and Reasonable !
It's an ADL donor rifle, with a "BDL conversion" (Brownells sells the kit) $150

It's already listed in my price list.

My Smith is a professional sub-contracting machinist by trade (9-5), and a Smith as his second profession. He charges what he sees fit for he job. It's not my fault he gives incredibly competitive pricing.

Last edited:
Mudrunner, I'd get in the business of brokering builds if $1,200 shooters could be had instead of whining about anything hornady. Have you seriously called and inquired about a 700 build from reputable smiths in the last 5 years?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.