Which Action for Long Range .260 Rem?

MtPockets

Hello all,

Just starting to kick around the idea of having a custom .260 built for a long range practice/coyote/wolf/prairie dog rifle.

I don't know squat about custom actions. What would you all suggest?

I also would like suggestions on the other particulars of a custom long range rifle including the smith to build it.

I'd like to run heavy monos, but not mandatory- again, I'd like suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Ron

My 260 improved is on a Stiller Predator long action. Lots of good actions out there depending on your preferences. If I built another it would be on a Tikka T3x action. Pure Precision, Manners, McMillan, Greyboe to name a few are good stocks and I have at least a couple of each. Find what fits you. You can get a barrel turned to whatever you want to shoot whatever you want or buy a prefit. As for price you don't need to spend a lot to get a great shooting rifle. My budget builds will easily outshoot/shoot with some two, three, and four times their price if the nut behind the trigger dose their part🙃.

My current in progress build Terminus Apollo lite, an HNT 26 stock, with a Bix and Andy or TriggerTech. I'm going with 6.5 Addiction, 6.5x55 partial AI. Prefit made by the smith of your choice in the contour of your choice. I've used Bugholes and Kampfeld Custom lately. I've had barrels from several other smiths. Since my build is also in progress I'm waiting to buy the barrel and then have it chambered. I have a load that I'm working up with 127 LRX in another rifle of the same caliber. It runs 3040 easily with a 25" barrel. I'm thinking shorten down to 22 or 23" and run a #4 barrel profile.

I've had 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 Addiction. I don't know that I'd call any of them a practice caliber. I have a 308 that I like to use for practice because it is so much easier on barrel life.

Hello all,

Just starting to kick around the idea of having a custom .260 built for a long range practice/coyote/wolf/prairie dog rifle.

I don't know squat about custom actions. What would you all suggest?

I also would like suggestions on the other particulars of a custom long range rifle including the smith to build it.

I'd like to run heavy monos, but not mandatory- again, I'd like suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Ron
Are you planning to shoot it at SAAMI length?

My current in progress build Terminus Apollo lite, an HNT 26 stock, with a Bix and Andy or TriggerTech. I'm going with 6.5 Addiction, 6.5x55 partial AI. Prefit made by the smith of your choice in the contour of your choice. I've used Bugholes and Kampfeld Custom lately. I've had barrels from several other smiths. Since my build is also in progress I'm waiting to buy the barrel and then have it chambered. I have a load that I'm working up with 127 LRX in another rifle of the same caliber. It runs 3040 easily with a 25" barrel. I'm thinking shorten down to 22 or 23" and run a #4 barrel profile.

I've had 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 Addiction. I don't know that I'd call any of them a practice caliber. I have a 308 that I like to use for practice because it is so much easier on barrel life.
Thanks for that reply. I'm not too familiar with any of those cartridges. Are they barrel burners?
Is the .260 a barrel burner?

My 260 improved is on a Stiller Predator long action. Lots of good actions out there depending on your preferences. If I built another it would be on a Tikka T3x action. Pure Precision, Manners, McMillan, Greyboe to name a few are good stocks and I have at least a couple of each. Find what fits you. You can get a barrel turned to whatever you want to shoot whatever you want or buy a prefit. As for price you don't need to spend a lot to get a great shooting rifle. My budget builds will easily outshoot/shoot with some two, three, and four times their price if the nut behind the trigger dose their part🙃.
What makes a budget build? In some ways, I like the idea of building one myself but will probably have this one built.
Edited to add- leaning towards a long action so I can run them way long.

Last edited:
What makes a budget build? In some ways, I like the idea of building one myself but will probably have this one built.
Edited to add- leaning towards a long action so I can run them way long.
"I" categorize them in two:

1. Full custom: Custom actions (non-factory) and choice components built by a reputable gunsmith. Cost depends on the components - range $4-5K and up, without scope.

2 Semi-custom: Donor actions (R700, Savage, M70, etc.) and select components either put together by a gunsmith or DIY. I consider this category the budget build. I have a few budget builds using Savage LA - .257 WBY (McGowen pre-fit ), .264 WM (X-Cailber pre-fit), .270 AI (Lilja chambered by my gunsmith), etc. They range from $1-1.5K, without scope.

For a Montana-made full custom action, I like the Defiance Machine (https://defiancemachine.com/actions/). My last custom-built rifle was with the Anti-X.

Good luck with your project build.

Last edited:
My definition of a budget build is a rifle built using used parts(stocks, actions, barrels) and or cheaper than normal parts (Remington/Tikka/lesser known on sale actions). I built a 300 win mag using a good Wilson barrel blank I got off this forum, a McMillan stock also from this forum, A Remington 700 ultra mag stainless action off Gunbroker, and other parts(trigger, rail, scope[NXS], trigger) I got on sale or used. Total I was into the rifle built for under $1,500 not including optic and it will out shoot many of my more expensive builds.
I built my 260 that is on the Predator action in a long action for the reason you mentioned and am happy I did. Shot the 260 out and put a new barrel on in 260 AI. There are a few actions you can get a prefit barrel for now days. I got a proof prefit in 7PRC and it set up great with the T3x action I used.
I would not consider a 260 a barrel burner. I had over 2k rounds before I put a new barrel on and it was still fairly accurate. I went with the 260 back than because it was a ballistic twin to the 300WM out to 1000 yards and I have always had a 300 win mag. I think you chose a great caliber to build. Both my girls have a 260 rem and it should take care of everything from sod puppies to elk if they need. My oldest shot her first deer with hers at around 400 yards this year. Her choice.

I know that Savages can be built at home, and at one time I had considered that. But are there others that can be home assembled? Are there any custom actions that allow that?
I'd rather have this one professionally built, but would consider assembling it myself if it is reasonably possible without a lathe and experience.