Anybody reload at the range?

I have one press dedicated for range use, usually just re-seating bullets lorded long. But I have been in on running a chargemaster off a gen set. In 3 outings, none were what I would call successful, but no fault of the powder weighing. Get out of the wind, shut the cover each go.
I think a CM sitting on the council powered by one of these newer PU's inverter would work fine, find a spot for your ammo tray that won't be a huge pain. No way I'd mess with a beam scale here.
coax.jpg

I have thought about doing this as it is such a pain to shoot a few rounds and have to go home. I have thought about just loading powder tubes with various chage weights so I wouldnt have to bring a scale. This would also help me not waste components by loading something at home like say some 60gn loads when I hit pressure at 58gn or wasted seating depth tests.

Load development almost got really short. A couple sight in shots then this random charge weight to see how she shoots. I ended up doing a ladder at 655 yards and 4 consecutive in the white with the 4th having a pressure swipe. I think she's going to shoot.

@will1588 thanks again for a great shooter!

Attachments

• 8AB5D27B-1F75-44FC-8681-C22C38A0E7E5.jpeg
    8AB5D27B-1F75-44FC-8681-C22C38A0E7E5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • F1033DC1-C066-4778-9E84-29CE98ACEFD7.png
    F1033DC1-C066-4778-9E84-29CE98ACEFD7.png
    628.3 KB · Views: 90
  • BC53C378-052E-479B-99A8-229872331B81.jpeg
    BC53C378-052E-479B-99A8-229872331B81.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
NO WAY!!! I'm lucky and can do all my load development within a couple minutes of the house. I am not taking all that gear out to the bench....heck no!! I do take a lot of BP charges pre-weighed out in vials when doing load development with a muzzle loader. I have five rifles I'm working up right now. I just get them all ready to go and they take turns getting used. Bring all the target box back and have all the groups and data in one notepad.

Yes, I've loaded up everything and taken it to my lease which is about 1.5 - 2 hours away to do load development. For a press I used an old Lee hand press that I have which makes it easy. I take chargemaster, dies, calipers, priming stuff (or just primed brass), 1lber of powder, funnel and a tray. I've also taken primed brass, the lee press and my chargemaster to a local range and they let me plug it in and load a few rounds in their office area.

All the time; the electronic powder scales are all easily powered by external batteries. The one thing that is a PIA is you MUST be able to put the scale somewhere where there is no wind and no movement.

I take primed brass, bullets, powder, etc with a battery powered scale and make a day of it.

I have a private 1,000 yard range located about 50 yards away from my shop so it makes load development so much easier, and time efficient. Load up a couple rounds, jump on the ranger or walk 50 yards to the range, shoot, and then run right back over to the shop to load up a few more after adjusting seating depth and/or powder charge weight, etc. That's the reason and the only reason I'm able to usually get my rifles shooting 1/4" MOA and under groups consistently rifle to rifle over the past few years. If I had to drive back and forth each day like 30 mins to an hour then it would take many, many trips before you found that 1 magic bullet/load combination that your particular rifle likes the best. If you don't have a private range, then I'd opt for like an old van probably that I could drive out each time with all my loading stuff set up inside of it. Just my opinions and what has worked well for me.

A fella who was working up loads for benchrest 6br had test tubes of pre-weighted powder and a little seating press set up on the outdoor bench at a DNR rifle range.

He was testing for accuracy at 200 yrds and was cloverleafing 3 rd. groups...he was going for 1 hole groups...and he got some.

I suppose a cheap Lee handheld press would work as well.

Load development is a pain. I don't mind the process, but I am not a huge fan of the driving. 1:30 drive each way and a minimum of 4 trips (if everything goes well). Does anybody bring their press and scale out and reload at the range?

Trip 1… ladder
Trip 2… Ed/sd test on best nodes
Trip 3… bullet seating depth test
Trip 4… final test and start to doping.

Would sure be nice to find that mode then load up a couple 5 shot groups, then play with some seating depths all in the same trip! Would make for a long day but it's spring in Colorado. It's beautiful outside!
Pretty easy to do in van or trailer or if the range has a room you can use. I've seen some cool setups at the range before. C clamps and a solid table in a hotel room too.
Biggest thing is getting exact weights from a good scale. Air pressure and wind affect
The scale greatly

If you could figure out the weighing part it would be easy. I have my press mounted on a 2'x2' butcher block. If you could park close enough to level to be able to level your scale, and do it in a van or under the truck topper it could work fine.
Or....on the kitchen table in your self leveling motor home, with the a/C on, while having a cool drink.

Load development is a pain. I don't mind the process, but I am not a huge fan of the driving. 1:30 drive each way and a minimum of 4 trips (if everything goes well). Does anybody bring their press and scale out and reload at the range?

Trip 1… ladder

Would sure be nice to find that mode then load up a couple 5 shot groups, then play with some seating depths all in the same trip! Would make for a long day but it's spring in Colorado. It's beautiful outside!
It's a great idea and can't think of any reason why not with a trip that long!

Trip 1… ladder

Old-time bench rest shooters did all of their reloading at the range. They knew how to throw accurate powder loads and did everything with hand tools. Works great if it not too hot like it gets here in Texas in the summer. Go for it, it works just fine.