Anybody reload at the range?

I actually do some development at the range. Use a B&D workmate, the original Lee Turret press on a 3/8" steel plate, a hand primer, decent beam scale, etc. All but the workmate fits in a wooden shell crate.
It has worked very well, especially when the range is 90 minutes away and a shooter is looking at a different powder/bullet combination.

Living in California I try to stay on top of what California laws are. One day I might be fine, and then a midnight law might determine that I am a felon because I own guns newly banned. I have a lack of trust in a state that is obviously anti constitutional, and brags about it.
I travel to Arizona for my testing of rifle ammunition. I am welding a reloading press station mount, that will fit in my hitch receiver. Then I can make changes as the shooting and data collected determines.
Once a proper load is made, the station can stay in my garage reloading corner.

Size and prime at the house. RCBS powder thrower c clamped to a table when I get there with a beam scale to measure. Arbor press is very satisfying to load on and Wilson dies are great.

Attachments

• D47DD158-A209-4553-AED7-7721037D60D6.jpeg
    D47DD158-A209-4553-AED7-7721037D60D6.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 42
When I was younger I did some with the Lee Loader Rifle Kit and the Lee Steel 3-Die Pistol kit, for that time they seemed to work great for rolling your own on the range. It would seem today wouldn't be any different, except now there are windproof scales and chronographs to help in the development. Cheers

And then there are the bloakes like me whose reloading bench in the shop is thirty feet from the attached garage. Through the garage the deck on the other side overlooks the 400 yard range with two ranches beyond. I do have to be vigilant about the horse herd roaming across the fence. And I do know how lucky I am. Very blessed. Sorry to hear it's so hard for some of you.

I will do seating depth at the range.

For powder there are certain times where I will load at the range but i use pre-measured powder in glass viles with stoppers. I will determine what i'm testing and load these at home when everything else.
For example, when i was working on my 300PRC I loaded up my different powder charges for the ladder, then packed 10 viles of a base powder charge which was my lowest starting point, and then measured and packed in .2 increments. So i can take a vile of 78 grains and add one vile of .4 to make 78.4... This lets me shoot my ladder, then come back to an interesting spot and retest immediately if i want.

No wind, no level issues and don't need to worry about measuring at home one day and then measing at the range in the rain on another day.

Years back when crazy benchrest shooting I did load at the range till I got the camp then set up from back of garage and range just open the back barn / garage door and shoot . Used to test all my loads that way and have my coffee at the same time rain-snow all from a nice covered area,

I used to shoot obsolete cartridge matches, due to the scarcity of casings I had to reload them at the range in order o complete the match.
I had a winch front bumper on the front of my pickup that made the perfect loading bench, I had holes drilled and mounted the press there it was easy enough to take off for travel. My beam scales worked well on the flat bumper as long as I made a wind barrier which was a wood box that carried my loading stuff just set on its side and the scales inside, out of the wind.
Loaded many, many rounds this way.

If the range has a shelter and bench setup this might be feasible. I had that situation several decades ago at a range I frequented; you just brought your own dies. Never since because of where I go to shoot; nowadays mostly in the wilderness. (If I posted pictures, you'd want to take your family there for a picnic.) All in all, for me it would be much more hassle than reloading in the comfort of my home and driving less than 30 minutes each way.

But after finding the right powder node, seating them long and adjusting depth in your van would save at least one trip and you wouldn't need worry so much about environmental factors.

Just weigh your powder in the truck (or range house), and out of the wind. All other functions can be handled with a cheap Lee press bolted on to an 18" piece of 2x8, c-clamped to the bench.