Anybody reload at the range?

Ucsdryder

Load development is a pain. I don't mind the process, but I am not a huge fan of the driving. 1:30 drive each way and a minimum of 4 trips (if everything goes well). Does anybody bring their press and scale out and reload at the range?

Trip 1… ladder
Trip 2… Ed/sd test on best nodes
Trip 3… bullet seating depth test
Trip 4… final test and start to doping.

Would sure be nice to find that mode then load up a couple 5 shot groups, then play with some seating depths all in the same trip! Would make for a long day but it's spring in Colorado. It's beautiful outside!

I've never tried to weigh and throw charges but I have often done seating depth tuning at the range. I'll seat them all long at home and work them in 3-shot groups .003 shorter with my micrometer seating die at the bench looking for the smallest group. Once I find it can seat groups plus or minus .001 to make sure I'm centered in the node. Then I can seat the all the rest of them at that length and shoot more groups to confirm.

I haven't but have been thinking of doing this for a long time. I have a small motorhome that I've cosnidered setting up as a rolling load development lab. Prep the brass prior and handheld press/ powder dropper for development. Could even use my plug in powder scale or deal with balance beam.

I miss my past very rural home, for I had my own range 20 feet from the shop door. Testing was a breeze.

While I do live on a few acres, there is no way shooting a rifle would be safe here, and with the range a few miles away, I have tried loading at the range. During my BR shooting days, some of us did this at the range also. Wind is one factor with scales, so I have seen plywood and cardboard boxes made to sit on the tailgate of trucks that housed the scales. Some even used popup camping tents with folding tables inside for loading rooms, tiny travel trailers, etc. Presses bolted to thick boards, plywood, etc then clamped to tailgates, on shooting benches, etc, etc. They do work, so get creative and give it a try.

No. My rifle range has two stations. Out in nature is #2 reason I do not.

Thankfully, it is only 15 minutes from my house.
My private range is 3 miles from the house. But I'm getting lazy and setting up targets and chrono (cheapo Caldwell) only to tear down to load some more up is a hassle. So load development at the range is a consideration. As far as a beam scale I've heard some benchresters made a plexiglass box to fight against wind on beam scales.

Almost right behind the 200 yard line there is an air conditioned stat house with tables on two walls. By the entrance is a heavy wood picnic bench. I set up the charging unit inside and the presses outside.

I do the the load work there, have enough outlets that I even take the laptop loaded with QL. LabRadar clamped on the concrete bench on the 200 yard, I could do all the work/data collection I need to do in one session.

Last edited:
xsn10s,

I empathize with your "pain". It seems as though 30 minutes of set up = 5 minutes of shooting.

Mine is a private club of 130 - 150 members. Most days no one is at the range, they are leaving, or they are arriving when I am leaving. It works out well. I used to live across the country road from the range before selling an moving to town.

I feel as though I have two separate mindsets for reloading and for shooting. I don't fault those who reload in the field. Instantaneous results !!!

I've never tried to weigh and throw charges but I have often done seating depth tuning at the range. I'll seat them all long at home and work them in 3-shot groups .003 shorter with my micrometer seating die at the bench looking for the smallest group. Once I find it can seat groups plus or minus .001 to make sure I'm centered in the node. Then I can seat the all the rest of them at that length and shoot more groups to confirm.
I've done this a lot using the LEE PRECISION Cast Iron Reloading Hand Press.

Recent Posts