Anybody hunting or shooting with their wife/girlfriend?

I have taken my wife out hunting different game a few times, she wasn't really into it - meaning she was ok to be there and we enjoyed hanging out together, but she wasn't wanting to take it serious enough to wake up early and hike in, or was more interested in documenting the experience on Instagram instead of looking for game...LOL. We decided it was OK to have separate hobbies. I haven't tried to get her into long range shooting - that will be my next goal. We'll see how it goes. How many of you out there are hunting with a significant other? What has your experience been with it?

Only since 1989! I'm blessed, she loves to be out in the country, and hates(refuses) to be left at home. For many years, prior to our marriage, hunting put meat on the table for her family. A successful hunt, was having 2 cow elk on the ground, several hours into the season....knowing there was meat in the freezer for the year.
As the kids are raised and money (food) a bit more easily obtained....we now hunt as much for pleasure as for need. She was asked once, years ago from an anti hunting female coworker, "How can you look into those eyes of a beautiful deer, and then shoot it"? My wife's answer, " I'm not looking at the eyes, I'm looking where I want to put the bullet"! We may be hunting anything from varmints to moose. We used to hunt much harder (more physical) than we do now, age is starting to limit the miles and terrain, that we used to just accept, as part of hunting. While we are not money'd people (only one guided hunt.....her Bighorn sheep), we've actually done pretty well. I've seen her take shots, from just a few yards to over 400 yards. When we were younger and in better shape, she's helped backpack more elk and moose back to the truck, than many hunters have had the opportunity to see while hunting. Over the years, we could have killed much more game, but I resisted the easy ones.....hoping for the trophy. Knowing that one day, the hunts will be a thing of the past....but a few trophies on the wall, will help carry those those memories with us to our grave. Our fantasies were Alaska and Africa, but age and finances render those not likely! But the hunts we have experienced will forever be enjoyed as memories! We need to quit passing on shots,and shooting more....the hunting days are fast coming to an end! memtb

Last edited:
My wife and I hunt tgether both with the bow and rifle. Sadly she out shoots me with both probably why she enjoys it so. She also took a Moose that dwarfs my 2 biggest. Her bull is 52 inches wide and looks like an Alaska Yukon Moose.

Docdoc I agree. Let me tell all of you the rest of the story and you guys that aren't married listen up.
My wife and I met at the hospital as I was a FF/Paramedic and she worked ER reg. We both had been previously married now not. We hit it off.
Couple years later I popped the question with a stipulation (stupid man) lets not get married between Sept and Dec for hunting season you know. duh. (stupid man) Well she looked at me and cried and said yes. Wonderful I thought. Then she said how about Sept 22. Thank God I was older then cause my radar went off with incoming round. I thought dam my first test. I quickly said ok. She smiled and patted my hand like telling the dog good boy. You young guys listening? Then she said I would also appreciate it if you didn't re-up as I was in the Navy reserve also you are gone a awful lot and I'm not interested in sitting around waiting for you. I said ok. duh
Our honey moon was at Cambell River lodge BC sightseeing, fishing, grizzly bear viewing. Big hit. Next fishing trip to BC I was gonna fly fish and Im the new guy at it. She sat on the bank and watched flounder at it for about an hour and finally said would like some advice. Sure Im always willing to learn. She came down took the fly pole and commenced on teaching my how to do it. I said why did you wait so long to tell me you knew how. She said most me don't like women showing them how to do things. I said Im not most men. We are equal.
Next I got her into taking firearms classes as I am an instructor and she love it. Her first Precision rifle class she took by herself half the guys wouldn't talk to her as she was shooting very well and the other half wanted to know if she really was happily married. lol
Then I took her to MT to shoot squirrels and holy hell she shot us out of ammo like you are really blood thirsty and she replied I am not just doing the farmers work and dam this is fun.
She has endured my career of being gone 24hrs at a time every three days and a deployment. We have since move to WY to enjoy doing what WE like to do together and we love it.
You young guys think us men are smart. Not really the gals are. But when you find the right one you have a friend for life.

Attachments

• DSCF7305.JPG
    DSCF7305.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
My wife loves to shoot at the range, both rifle and handgun, but we are both in our 60s' and she has had both knees replaced so she doesn't hunt. I on the other hand have been very fortunate in that my knees are great so I still hunt. We both fish also. She does have her own hobbies ( she belongs to several sewing guilds ) which I fully support. When I say support, think $$$. Ever check out the prices of the better sewing machines these days?

My lady likes to go out hunting with me, and she is becoming a very good second pair of eyes for spoting the game. She is not keen to pull th trigger or clean the game. In fact she has segested on more then one occasion that we go on a hunting trip. She is company and keen to learn.

That sounds so sweet!! We had our son in the 9th inning so, ya, early 40's and I have a 4 year old, wouldn't trade him for the world though but somedays there was the dream!!

My wife can hunt but she's not into it at all, shooting however is another story, I have a rifle that I switch barrel for her so she doesn't burn out the good barrel. She smoked one of my 270 WSM barrels one summer!

I had a "procedure" to hopefully prevent the 4yr old in my 40's - having said that, if something were to happen I would probably be pumped about it. Little kids are the bomb - I would trade my two teenagers for 4 yr old versions of themselves any day!! Lol

Yep, we have shot together for years and raised our kids hunting/shooting. I think she likes the time together more than the hunt itself and she also understands when I go for a few days with the guys to deer/elk camp.
We are now scheduling a trip to Africa in September of this year to hunt in Limpobo for 7 days and I'm looking forward to it more than any vacation I've been on.

My wife is one of those ones that doesn't like to get up early in the morning to go hunting. And when she does, she complains if we have to hike a little ways to the stand. Then she is on her phone the whole time. One thing she like to do is shoot groundhogs. I'll let her be behind the gun most of the time when we go look for those whistle pigs. She also likes to shoot steel. But most of the time i leave the house early on a Saturday to get to the range before the crowd gets there. So she again doesn't want to get up early.

Jason

Yep, we have shot together for years and raised our kids hunting/shooting. I think she likes the time together more than the hunt itself and she also understands when I go for a few days with the guys to deer/elk camp.
We are now scheduling a trip to Africa in September of this year to hunt in Limpobo for 7 days and I'm looking forward to it more than any vacation I've been on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.