Hunting caliber for girlfriend

308 Nate, I'm having trouble getting an email sent through to you for some reason, so maybe You could try me. My address is [email protected].

Kirby, after talking to you on the phone the other night, you got me interested in the 6.5/284. What info have you got on that particular round?

Justin

Justin,
I just tried the link in my profile and sent a test e-mail to myself and it came through fine, so not sure what's going on, anyway I just sent you an e-mail.I haven't had a probelm getting e-mails all weeks.
308nate

Go with 260 or 708. That gives you a combination of readily available premium factory ammo (should you have to need some). You can use Lapua brass. Both are on the low side of efficiency in the elk department, but if your woman is this interested in picking up hunting, she would practice plenty. Bullet placement is paramount. A 50 BMG put through an elk in the wrong place will not bring down an elk, and I have been privy to elk killed with a .243. Premium handloads with 260 or 708 will cleanly take all the game you listed as important, and both rounds will lend themselves to comfortable range sessions. I chose the 260 for my girl, but she chose another man. Live and learn.

I have the same problem with my girlfriend. I am thinking .257 Weatherby mag. I can load it down to .240 Weatherby mag levels for whitetail too.

Just wanted to thank you all for your opinions and ideas. This project doesn't look like it will get started until early next spring, say mid February, so I've got some time to decide on a caliber and scrape the cash together. Thanks again

J

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts