.338 caliber 285 eld-m for hunting

jskmtd

I have done some searches and haven't been able to find very much info on the 285 eld-m for hunting. So those of you that have used them on game please describe your results. I'm interested in impact velocity, wound channel damage and exit size if there was an exit.
Thanks in advance,
Jon

I haven't killed anything with them. But I have talked to some guys who had. They said they worked great. I am sure there are a few members on here that have used them.

I shoot them in my 338 Edge MV 2980 fps. So far I have taken an elk at 720 yards and a muley at ~200. Exit on the elk was half dollar sized or so, and it hit some bone. I was satisfied. The muley was a deliberate shoulder blade shot because I needed to anchor him due to a close property line. Exit was more fist sized and I lost a lot of meat on the exit shoulder. Again, given the relatively close range for this bullet, I was completely satisfied. Neither animal took a step, nothing anchors like a high velocity 338.

I took a mule deer with the 285eld-m
Out of my 338 Lapua improved mv 3072fps shot at 300yd broadside right behind the shoulder took 2 wobbly steps and fell dime size entrance hole no exit bullet complete fragmented no size able pieces found heart and lungs were jello

I'm running a 338 Edge shooting red deer and had a lot more quicker kills with them compered to the 300gr Elite Hunter. I have only just start using them and 460m is the max distance so far, time will tell. Body shots look like a grenade has gone off inside with massive internal damage. Our rut/roar is about to start here in New Zealand and will drop a few red stags in the next 7 weeks.

Tikkablk.My kids over there right now.Hes in Napier? Picking apples,heh.Hes been in the mountains too,great looking country.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts