elk hunting caliber???

Bullet choice is going to be as important as the caliber, maybe more important. Giant rifle wrong bullet is bad. With that said, I think 30cal or bigger.

Steve

What kind of elk hunting are we talking, are you lugging a rifle over the mountains going in and out of timber or are you setting up and watching clearing or something of that nature.

The type of hunting I am looking to use this rifle for is being able to setup and take time to range.

I would use a .30 caliber or bigger if it was me. Something from the .300 Win Mag to a .338 Edge. Elk are pretty tough animals and larger calibers are usually better if the shot is not so perfect. If they aren't spooked at all, which they shouldn't be at 5-600+ yds, and the shot is perfect then a lot of the smaller calibers will work just about as well. The caliber choice would also depend on what you can handle for recoil with or without a brake. Shooting 250 to 300 grain bullets and 90+ grains of powder has a lot more recoil then a .300 Win Mag shooting 185-210gr bullets with powder charges in the 70gr range. If you plan to shoot it a lot then barrel life and cost of components (dies, brass, powder) might be a consideration also.

With that being said I prefer large calibers. At short range it's hard to beat a .375 or .416 for elk. The recoil on the larger calibers is considerably more but the performance on elk is impressive. If you can shoot something with more recoil and don't mind paying more for bullets a .375 RUM shooting one of the Cutting Edge high BC bullets might be something to consider also. They make a 275gr brass bullet with a tip that has a BC of around .600 and the make a 330gr copper hunting bullet with a BC of .830. They also make a .416 375gr bullet with a BC of .825 :D. They are just 2+ dollars each.

The type of hunting I am looking to use this rifle for is being able to setup and take time to range.

If your building from the ground up 338 Lapua or 338 Norma, if your using a factory action the 338 RUM.
I'll drop a 165 gr Matrix on an elk at that range with my 270 WSM but you build one of the above 338's and shoot a 300gr Berger you have an easy LR elk rifle, they are so nice to shoot it's hard to pull the smaller cals out of the safe.
If I were to go 30 cal it would likely be the 300 Norma or 300 Win, the RUM is what it is and about half the one's I know of shoot at 300 win levels or slightly higher. The 7 RUM is solidly in the land of diminishing returns IMO!!!!!
It's so dang hard to beat a purpose built 338 with a 300gr bullet for elk!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts