Any issues using Federal Primers?

When the primer decline started I scoffed at buying a brick of Federals I think it was, or one of the big guys, for $35.00, that was a mistake. But a few weeks later the same shop had 2 bricks of Wolf Primers, I forget how much, but I grabbed them both. I have not tried them since I have no prior loading data to fall back on, so I guess you could say I have them when everything else runs out.

I see a lot of people are not fond of or don't trust their CCI primers. I know someone you can unload them on for what you paid, plus postage.
Just saying, don't shoot the messenger.

Years ago I got ahold of a boatload of primers at a garage sale along with a lot of other stuff. I broke out the vacuum packer and seals most of them, and then I started loading for my son, then my son-in-law, and my 2 grandsons. That boatload of primers I bought that I thought would be handed down to my son someday has dwindled faster than I ever imagined it would. I still have some sealed up but the stock is getting lower.

I have enough primers for a few years but I've have been unable to buy more than 200 primers at a time so I go back the next day to get another 200.
If I am lucky I might collect 600.
I usually buy by the 1000.
In the meantime I am trading or buying from others.
I even got some made in Russia!

Attachments

• 3B4ED892-635B-4AD9-9865-3D91766871A7.jpeg
    3B4ED892-635B-4AD9-9865-3D91766871A7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
In the early 2000's I used to shoot a lot of sporting clays and skeet. the only primer I had any trouble with was CCI.
Would get about 1 or 2 per 100 that wouldn't touch off.
No trouble with Remington or Winchester. Don't remember Federal being available where I bought my supplies back then.

I've always worried a little bit while hunting in cold weather, like below 15 degrees, when my rifle looks frozen .
So far CCI primers haven't failed . The only reason I use them is because that's what I started with, and they work fine for me .

they must use a different compound for the Fed primers then.. they have always burned cleaner than cci for me
I'm not exactly sure when each was acquired. Obviously they had separate production lines when they were independent companies and most likely somewhat different components but we'll see what it looks like in the future.

Here are some prices from years ago. The BR-2s were from 2016. I bought 4000. The pictured box has 700 or so left!
If all goes well I'll have two 3 day matches maybe 3.
I'll then go to CCI200.

Attachments

• 3CB66543-CDE5-4E7A-B710-424019A449CA.jpeg
    3CB66543-CDE5-4E7A-B710-424019A449CA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
I found some Winchester and Remington LR Mag primers in my cabinet. Once the Federal 215 Mag primers are gone, I will sadly default to those. I suppose I will need to adjust my load to cope with the new primers. Right now it 67.0 grns H 4831SC, in my 270 Weatherby mag, with a 150 Grn ABLR. The Nosler book says 2940fps from a 26-inch barrel. I do the ballistic math using 2900 fps. I do not know what the velocity loss will be , once I switch to the other primers. If need be I can increase the powder charge, since my current load is barley a 90 percent load. Adequate for deer, out to 500 yards.

I found some Winchester and Remington LR Mag primers in my cabinet. Once the Federal 215 Mag primers are gone, I will sadly default to those. I suppose I will need to adjust my load to cope with the new primers. Right now it 67.0 grns H 4831SC, in my 270 Weatherby mag, with a 150 Grn ABLR. The Nosler book says 2940fps from a 26-inch barrel. I do the ballistic math using 2900 fps. I do not know what the velocity loss will be , once I switch to the other primers. If need be I can increase the powder charge, since my current load is barley a 90 percent load. Adequate for deer, out to 500 yards.
The Winchester primers that I have are a few years old but when I use them in load development they always run a little higher pressure for my guns and I have to reduce the charge a little to stay in the sweet zone. I definitely think they are the hottest primers in my stockpile but they may act different in other chambers and combinations.