Any here using Bertram brass.

WildBillG

Anybody here using Bertram brass and what are your thoughts on it. I picked up some at a gun show in 338RUM for my future build.

based on a post here i bought bertram. i am building a target rifle, not a hunting rifle.
i sold it all at a big loss and moved on to adg which has target quality.

Too bad adg doesnt have as many cartridges as bertram, I would have tried it-- then I would have a personal comparison to base an opinion on

Last edited:
I am guessing target brass is more concentrically made. Meaning tolerances aremuch tighter from case to case and lot to lot. Is the Bertram really poor brass or just average. Would I have been better off buying Remington or Nosler brass. I bought 100 rounds of it.

If you can get your money back or close to it I would just sell it and buy ADG.
The old saying buy once cry once.
Bertram is tough brass, just way to inconsistent for what you have to pay.
I'm not a Nosler fan there primer pockets do not hold up.

don't listen to all the BS about Bertram brass it is the same handful of people that start the bashing every time someone mentions Bertram brass. it is nowhere near as bad as they make it out be. is it perfect? NO. but you wont be throwing it in the trash after 3-5 firings or reducing the load by 5% just to make 8 reloads

If I get really into what the rifle I build can do I'm sure I can find 30 pieces all the same. That said I have had plain old Win. and Rem. brass with no fussing produce under half inch groups. My guess is this brass will do even better.

What I have noticed with observing a few different people's results. Bertram brass fluctuates on case weights but oddly has pretty close numbers on case capacity once fire formed. Guys have tested 28N, 300 NM, 6.5 SAUM and have saw 1gr spread measured internally cap with water/alcohol testing. Even though there was a 6gr spread in empty case weight. Their brass is tough, needs a full prep for neck thickness, primer/flashole, chamfer inside/outside of necks. Pretty much the same routine that should be done with all brass. I think you'll be presently surprised. I prefer ADG because they have more consistent case weights & neck thickness, but Bertram can be just as good with some prep.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.