Antlered Does

When a doe has twins but in the same sack, one being male and other female, rare but it does happen. The female with take on the male trait of growing antlers. Different sacks, usually the way twins happen. One will still be male and one still female with no cross over. Undescended testicles just happen to all creatures. Still males, they just have messed up hormones. They grow and shed antlers because its a seasonal thing. The hormones kick in when its time to rub the velvet off. That does not happen. They will remain in velvet until it's time to shed.

Back in the 70's, we had a hunting buddy kill an antlered doe, and it had a very deformed set of small antlers. If memory serves, we took that deer to the local game biologist for his research and opinion before dressing.

When i was a kid in the 80's my dad shot an antlered 6 point doe, have the antlers from it somewhere yet. Here is possibly one from a few years back, only saw it this one time on camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 132
I didn't harvest, but saw one once here in CA. Was on one of my few deer hunting efforts in CA, we literally drove up on some does and a small spike buck. Sat there and watched them with the bino's at about 30 yards as they were standing in the middle of the track. The spike buck turned away from us and with his tail up, we could clearly see that he was a she. Spike deer are not legal in CA, but if they were, we would have definitely shot that one.

My buddy's dad shot an 8 point doe in velvet this year. At the taxidermist now. Goofy looking thing, big fat covered hinder and a skinny neck. Wasn't chasing or being chased.

Have never seen a whitetail doe antlered we did have a mulie doe on a pasture in west Texas that had spike antlers saw her two years running in velvet both years saw her up close so we were sure of the sex no not that close

Back sometime ago while hunting in ND I shot a decent 3 by 3 (as they call them there). When I walked up and grabed the horns to role it over the horns were movable and felt like a hard rubber toy!
when I rolled it over there were no male parts present. Even had utters. Nice sized it!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.