Accubonds on does

Same experience here OP. I used a 150 Accubond at 2850 from my 308 on a nice 9 point whitetail a few years ago, shot it right into the heart area from 120 yards away. I chose to try this bullet because I had a very accurate load (that was fairly hot and moly coated) and wanted to test it, as it promised much better long range performance than what I had been using. The bullet passed completely through, left a small amount of blood on the backside a few feet back from where the deer was standing, then very little blood loss for the next 75 yards or so. I found the deer piled up about 150 yards away, so the bullet did work, but the deer ran that 150 yards down the side of a steep hill and it was a PITA dragging it back up. I think this bullet is more forgiving with more shot placements than most cup and core bullets, but I have since went back to using what I already knew worked well, which is the 125 BT's at a lowly 2750. These have always dropped deer fairly quickly when shot into the heart/lung area, and almost all of my shots are inside 150 yards. Both my wife and I use these bullets in our 16" 308's and they have proven to be quick killers for years now.

FWIW, this year I will be trying the 168 ELD-M's at an even slower speed of 2650, just because I am still searching for that one do-all bullet for deer that I can also practice with at the 500 yard range where I spend my time in the off season. I am also going to try the proverbial high shoulder shot to see if I can anchor them so that they do not run straight down the steep hills and gullies where I hunt.

It's interesting. My 1st shot went just behind the lungs. The bullet just blew though without hitting a bone, or any vitals. The animal is just standing there, unable to move in total shock. Didn't fall, didn't flinch, nothing. Then a head shot to finish. But I examined the 1st shot area. Only hydraulic shock damage. No bullet expansion damage... like a pencil. I'll keep my accubonds for Elk..
Maybe try shooting them in the vitals, I'm not sure how my bullets work in the guts.

I used 6.5CM Accubonds on little does. Like medium thin skinned does. Poor choice of bullet. It just blows through the animal, like a pencil. Yes the deer is dead, but bonded bullets on deer is not the best choice. Next time a ballistic tip, or soft lead like coreloks.
What distance?

Same experience here OP. I used a 150 Accubond at 2850 from my 308 on a nice 9 point whitetail a few years ago, shot it right into the heart area from 120 yards away. I chose to try this bullet because I had a very accurate load (that was fairly hot and moly coated) and wanted to test it, as it promised much better long range performance than what I had been using. The bullet passed completely through, left a small amount of blood on the backside a few feet back from where the deer was standing, then very little blood loss for the next 75 yards or so. I found the deer piled up about 150 yards away, so the bullet did work, but the deer ran that 150 yards down the side of a steep hill and it was a PITA dragging it back up. I think this bullet is more forgiving with more shot placements than most cup and core bullets, but I have since went back to using what I already knew worked well, which is the 125 BT's at a lowly 2750. These have always dropped deer fairly quickly when shot into the heart/lung area, and almost all of my shots are inside 150 yards. Both my wife and I use these bullets in our 16" 308's and they have proven to be quick killers for years now.

FWIW, this year I will be trying the 168 ELD-M's at an even slower speed of 2650, just because I am still searching for that one do-all bullet for deer that I can also practice with at the 500 yard range where I spend my time in the off season. I am also going to try the proverbial high shoulder shot to see if I can anchor them so that they do not run straight down the steep hills and gullies where I hunt.

If you are looking for an Anchor shot, i.e. high shoulder shot, the Accubond is the ticket.

I used 6.5CM Accubonds on little does. Like medium thin skinned does. Poor choice of bullet. It just blows through the animal, like a pencil. Yes the deer is dead, but bonded bullets on deer is not the best choice. Next time a ballistic tip, or soft lead like coreloks.
Try partitions

Like others mentioned I have also had really good performance from Accubonds on deer of all sizes with .243 90gr., .257 110gr., .264 130Gr, and .277 140Gr. True I never got an exit that looked like a crater charge to take a road out of service, but I also have not had to shoot one twice or track more than 60 yards either. Maybe just give em one more try with a shot forward of the grass bag and see if they don't do better for you.

Looks like the jist of this is you punched a hole through a deers guts and are unsatisfied with the bullets performance. If you put a hit in its guts and it stood there long enough for you to get a headshot opportunity then consider yourself lucky. Not sure how you can miss lungs but hit it's head. Seeing as the lungs are roughly 4 times larger? I've shot accubonds into 20 pound coyotes 60 pound does, a 380 pound bear, multiple elk, and every size whitetail in between. Never had an issue.

Looks like the jist of this is you punched a hole through a deers guts and are unsatisfied with the bullets performance. If you put a hit in its guts and it stood there long enough for you to get a headshot opportunity then consider yourself lucky. Not sure how you can miss lungs but hit it's head. Seeing as the lungs are roughly 4 times larger? I've shot accubonds into 20 pound coyotes 60 pound does, a 380 pound bear, multiple elk, and every size whitetail in between. Never had an issue.
I guess I missed the part of not hitting vitals. That of course would explain a lot, and goes without saying, if indeed the OP did.

I did similar on a cow elk with a 180 accubond at about 250 yards. She took a step and I missed the vitals just to the right of them putting a small hole through the front of her stomach through and through. I thought I'd missed completely because she just stood there looking around and never even flinched. Put the next one in her neck and all was well. Didn't see the hole from first shot until I was cleaning her and at least felt a little better that I hadn't whiffed completely.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.