Antlered Does

I killed a forked horn doe here in WA state about 10yrs ago. I only had one day to hunt before I deployed and told my wife night before if its legal tomorrow it hits the ground. This deer came out into the Alfalfa Field right at daylight horns I could see but looked weird. I shot the deer got up to it and the deer antlers still had velvet, when I flipped the deer over to gut it, the twig and berries were not there. Thats when I knew it was a doe and not a buck. Kind of rare I think I still have the horns somewhere out in the shop. I asked a wildlife biologist and he said it really depends on a lot for that to happen but one thing he said was the deer diet can make doe's grow antlers. I figured between the corn and alfalfa fields this deer had ate pretty good.

My buddy killed a 115" whitetail. Few years back. He didn't want to mount it or anything so he just cut the horns off at the skull plate. 4 hours later he got a call from 2 different taxidermist within 2 hours that wanted to buy it from him. They offered him 1200$ .they wanted to full body it and use it in taxi competition! But it was too little too late. Just FYI!

Thanks for all the posts. I am glad that I joined this network. Been looking at the post for years, but never chimed in because I was not a member. This site has a plethora of great information on hunting/shooting/reloading It is nice to get a varity of information from should I say "Veiw Points" of the people engaging on topics.

I shot this one in wv monday before thanksgiving. No testicles. Still in velvet.
1608392934336.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.