Accubonds on does

I guess I missed the part of not hitting vitals. That of course would explain a lot, and goes without saying, if indeed the OP did.
Says behind the lungs. I guess he could have knocked the liver but after that, it's all guts and you're going to be lucky to find that deer. Regardless of what bullet you put there
6CED6DEB-3FB0-4823-816D-BAB37640124E.jpeg

Says behind the lungs. I guess he could have knocked the liver but after that, it's all guts and you're going to be lucky to find that deer. Regardless of what bullet you put thereView attachment 218351

Is this the aiming point for the high shoulder shot? Never taken a shot this high, just want to be sure if I decide to do it. Thanks
1602171457044.png

Is this the aiming point for the high shoulder shot? Never taken a shot this high, just want to be sure if I decide to do it. Thanks
View attachment 218392
That's where I go for on high shoulders. Gets a bang flop most of the time, but you'd get some meat damage. If that's a big deal to you then steer clear of that area.

Sometimes they run, sometimes they stand there in total shock... because they don't know what hit them.

Accubonds in the high shoulder a shot I've used for about 20 years now, give a little shoulder meat for a drop in its tracks hit. Started with partitions and then changed over to AB's that gave better accuracy. 130gr 6.5 - 140gr 7mm - 165gr 308 all deadly never a failure. Too wet to track in bogs and thick in cut overs, DRT is the goal. Love AB's and don't intend to change.

I used 6.5CM Accubonds on little does. Like medium thin skinned does. Poor choice of bullet. It just blows through the animal, like a pencil. Yes the deer is dead, but bonded bullets on deer is not the best choice. Next time a ballistic tip, or soft lead like coreloks.
Shooting does is all about meat, BT are great killers but not a good choice here. You can always get a close shot, pass until you do. I use my 223 in the head. No lose of meat and a clean gut job.

Accubonds in the high shoulder a shot I've used for about 20 years now, give a little shoulder meat for a drop in its tracks hit. Started with partitions and then changed over to AB's that gave better accuracy. 130gr 6.5 - 140gr 7mm - 165gr 308 all deadly never a failure. Too wet to track in bogs and thick in cut overs, DRT is the goal. Love AB's and don't intend to change.

You're hunting Moose, not little does.

No I'm just making a comment about how I shoot northern whitetail, I don't shoot them behind the lungs, I shoot them in the scapula with a high shoulder shot. Results in a drop in their tracks kill with a little shoulder meat the cost, I'm good with that. I try to shoot bucks myself and if that don't work out by last week does are game also, last years doe was 138# dressed. Don't know if that's big or little to you, depends where you hunt I guess. I shoot bucks on occasion that exceed 200# dressed and thats the reason I used paritions in the past and accubonds now. Good hunting :)

Yes I have shot moose as well, use a larger rifle for those, they tend to run quite a bit bigger. Dave

Good to hear. Got some accubonds heading my way. I still agree, any bullet through the boiler room is going to kill them. As hunters, we want to be efficient and get clean, quick, humane kills

Yeah, I shoot Accubonds exclusively and have taken over a dozen antelope, several muleys... does and bucks, and several whitetail does and bucks. Ranges were from 20 yds to 621 yds. Many in the 400-600 yd distance. I have only had TWO animals not drop in their footprints. They both went about 20 yds. before giving up the ghost. I aim for "behind the shoulder", and hit where I aim many times, but not always. 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
I used 6.5CM Accubonds on little does. Like medium thin skinned does. Poor choice of bullet. It just blows through the animal, like a pencil. Yes the deer is dead, but bonded bullets on deer is not the best choice. Next time a ballistic tip, or soft lead like coreloks.
I tend to agree with you! All these wonderful bullet selections we have today is really nice....keeps this site Buzzing...but results so vary! I have been reloading now for over 40 years...nice to play around with the new stuff. But when it comes to Anchoring deer in their tracks I'm using 40 year old Hornady 150 spire points in a 270. A friend and brand new hunter this week used this gun and load and dropped three deer from 60 yards to 330....1 shot each, never took a step. My 300 with most of the new ceramic tipped bullets punch thru so fast the animal doesn't know it's dead for up to 30 even 50 yards

Shot a buck yesterday morning with a 110 AB. Mid shoulder entrance. MASSIVE amount of damage in chest cavity and no real exit. Deer ran 70 yards or so and fell in sight. No complains on performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.