Annealing new brass?

No, unless I don't trust the maker, but then why did I buy that brass….I have expanded, annealed and the. Sized to form brass. I don't like to lose brass in case forming.

I think all brass is annealed when new- some of it gets polished so you don't see the anneal line.
That and you can easily shoot very well for a lot of reloads without ever annealing your brass.

Never, I don't even resize it. It's so under sized my die doesn't even touch it. All I do is inspect for defects, then run an expander mandrel through the neck (just in case it's dinged in shipping). Chamfer, debur, load and shoot. I'll anneal When I get back from shooting but I take care not to push the shoulder back .002 until I get two or 3 firings on it, or I can feel tightness when closing the bolt on it. I don't bump it back till I know it's fully stretched out to my chamber length.

I had some new Lapua 300 PRC brass that had an awful round to round seating force. I had set the ID with a mandrel so neck tension should have been relatively consistent. The variation in seating force seemed to go away after annealing, however there are other factors that changed with once fired brass. I haven't decided if I am going to blanket anneal new brass going forward, however the thought has crossed my mind. I will definitely anneal on new brass if I am not get consistent seating force.

I will definitely anneal on new brass if I am not get consistent seating force.
occasionally my annealer gets stuck and will over anneal a piece or two of brass in large batches. I can Feel the difference after resizing and running it through the expander mandrel. I'll take those with low neck tension and work Harden them back to spec. I will neck up a 6mm to 7mm then run it back through the sizer two or 3 times till I feel the tension is right when I run it through the expander mandrel. Works like a charm.

It's not necessary, but I always anneal new brass (using an Amp) to get every piece to a similar baseline hardness from the get-go.

The only time I anneal new brass is when it will be formed into something else like an improved case. I form the case, size it and fire it with a full power load, then anneal again and size it after taking measurement, these are often NOT final measurements but get me close.

Cheers.

Recent Posts