Am I nuts? VX6hd 3-18×50 vs. G7 NXS 5.5-22

You are right. 2 up no matter the zero based on the turret design. For hunting it's fine but comp is a no go. On my Prc it'll get me to 1500.
I bought the scope for our Godson's Dasher I had built for him, the scope is nice, but the 38 moa up PO'd me. The kid is tapped out a little over 1200 yards. I went to the range twice that day, I zeroed it and ran it out, came home and reset everything and went back out, same results. A call to Leupold and I got my info, asked why, makes no sense, way it is is all I got.
On a PRC hunting rig be a good option, I am actually impressed by the scope.

Just my $.02 here. I've owned both. Had a NXS on my Gunwerks rifle and currently have a VX-6HD 3-18x50 on a different custom 7mm.

Quick story, I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to my rifles and reloading like most people on here. I shoot regularly from 100-1000 yards. I spent tons of hours this year on setting up my new rifle, and fitted it with a brand new 3-18. Made the trip out to Colorado for the 2nd season, and while walking I tripped over a log and the front bell of my scope hit the top of another log as I fell. Didn't seem like a hard hit but one of course I was concerned about. Later that day I took a great mule deer but missed completely on my first two shots at 185 yards. Connected with his neck (which was not my point of aim) on the last.

Came home from the hunt and took my rifle straight to a friends range. I started at 250 yards and completely missed a 16" steel target. Ends up my rifle was 5 minutes off zero. Mind you this rifle made the trip in a truck, in a SKB case, with custom foam cut outs. Also, the scope was mounted appropriately with one piece Talley rings that have proven over time to be reliable.

I really like what Leupold has done recently, great glass, scopes track well, they are very repeatable when dialing up and down, and they are the lightest of the long range options. However, I am very concerned about durability. The hit wasn't that bad, and the gun shot consistent .3-.4 groups all summer. I'm not the expert but at the end of the season I'll be going back to nightforce, again for what it's worth I would stick with the realiable option. Especially when you put in long hours like I did and you need perfect results for when it really counts! I'll be looking heavily at the NX8 especially if it comes out in SFP

Attachments

• 96451A1C-B441-4A73-ADED-E9EBEED10CE0.jpeg
    96451A1C-B441-4A73-ADED-E9EBEED10CE0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 74
  • E94BA346-7EF8-477A-965E-493AB0D9C540.jpeg
    E94BA346-7EF8-477A-965E-493AB0D9C540.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Just my $.02 here. I've owned both. Had a NXS on my Gunwerks rifle and currently have a VX-6HD 3-18x50 on a different custom 7mm.

Quick story, I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to my rifles and reloading like most people on here. I shoot regularly from 100-1000 yards. I spent tons of hours this year on setting up my new rifle, and fitted it with a brand new 3-18. Made the trip out to Colorado for the 2nd season, and while walking I tripped over a log and the front bell of my scope hit the top of another log as I fell. Didn't seem like a hard hit but one of course I was concerned about. Later that day I took a great mule deer but missed completely on my first two shots at 185 yards. Connected with his neck (which was not my point of aim) on the last.

Came home from the hunt and took my rifle straight to a friends range. I started at 250 yards and completely missed a 16" steel target. Ends up my rifle was 5 minutes off zero. Mind you this rifle made the trip in a truck, in a SKB case, with custom foam cut outs. Also, the scope was mounted appropriately with one piece Talley rings that have proven over time to be reliable.

I really like what Leupold has done recently, great glass, scopes track well, they are very repeatable when dialing up and down, and they are the lightest of the long range options. However, I am very concerned about durability. The hit wasn't that bad, and the gun shot consistent .3-.4 groups all summer. I'm not the expert but at the end of the season I'll be going back to nightforce, again for what it's worth I would stick with the realiable option. Especially when you put in long hours like I did and you need perfect results for when it really counts! I'll be looking heavily at the NX8 especially if it comes out in SFP

Agreed.... Although I went with a VX6 HD 4-24 on my lightweight medium to big game hunting rig I would tend to baby it more than my ATACR on my heavy rig which is hell for tough.

Guys and Gals,

I think that weight in a full up rifle is much more critical than weight in a backpack. A rifle is a tough thing to carry if you want to have it at the ready for a quick or even semi-quick shot.

A few ounces saved on a rifle is the equivalent to several pounds saved in a quality backpack.

I know that someone will pop up with his handy dandy super sling that will carry the rifle easily at ready but still comfortably but I've tried a few of those and ended up opting for a lightweight rifle I expect to have to carry very far. It's just too much fancy gear to get used to and I can't stand shooting with a rifle sling but then I guess that people that are used to slings like them.

I want to sling my rifle over my shoulder with a simple strap or carry it across my chest cradled in my arms and resting on my forearms most of the time and the simple one handed carry is what I end up doing a lot.

For that kind of transportation every single ounce is critical and those that deny it are either young and in great shape or are rare people.

I'm over 60 but I work out in the gym regularly and I still prefer a rifle under 8.5 pounds full up as a carry rifle. The Nightforce scoped rifles tend to ride around in the truck or on the ATV more than carried. ;)

Just one man's opinion.....

LDH

Man I know if I took a pretty good hit on my rifle scope I would be shooting it and making sure it was on before I continued hunting.

Man I know if I took a pretty good hit on my rifle scope I would be shooting it and making sure it was on before I continued hunting.

I was literally on the side of a mountain so it was either leave and waste a day of my hunt or continue on and hope for the best that day. I made the right decision that time.

If weight is the problem and need a decent scope try one of these on for size. You might try one of these 10 oz.
SWFA SS 2.5-10X32 Ultralight Rifle Scope.
10x power should get you the 500 yards.

If weight is the problem and need a decent scope try one of these on for size. You might try one of these 10 oz.
SWFA SS 2.5-10X32 Ultralight Rifle Scope.
10x power should get you the 500 yards.

The eye relief on those could be an issue, it is only listed around 2.5" or so.

you should have 75 MOA of adjustment. If you run a 20MOA rail you'll have plenty to get way further.
If you run a rail you would have more elevation. My point is the knobs in my scope only allow 2 full turns. Which is way more than I need with my LRM or my 6.5 PRC. It's just a limitation the unit has. You cannot dial all the way to the end of the erector movement unless you already had your zero way up there where it can be reach in 2:turns. I only use 20-24 MOA elevation ever with it. Mainly in shooting steel. On critters I tend to try and get closer.

If you run a rail you would have more elevation. My point is the knobs in my scope only allow 2 full turns. Which is way more than I need with my LRM or my 6.5 PRC. It's just a limitation the unit has. You cannot dial all the way to the end of the erector movement unless you already had your zero way up there where it can be reach in 2:turns. I only use 20-24 MOA elevation ever with it. Mainly in shooting steel. On critters I tend to try and get closer.
I addressed this a couple days ago and admitted I was wrong. I didn't realize the turret was limited in this manner and someone pointed out there is a 2 and 3. 3 allows 60 MOA elevation or 3 turns. I had not yet shot past 1000 with the scope so I assume it was like all scope and allowed for total travel. Weird limitation and something to consider if you need more vertical then the 38 plus holds then a different turret would be needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.