Am I nuts? VX6hd 3-18×50 vs. G7 NXS 5.5-22

I backpack hunt and the rule is: "ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain". If it's to heavy to pack it where you want then make the switch or build a lighter rifle. If it's too heavy for your comfort level you'll curse it or stop using it. Changing a scope and a stock isn't going to ruin your accurate rifle. Just make sure the scope is what you want and don't settle because it's lighter.

I'm considering selling or trading my Niteforce G7 NXS and moving to a Leupold VX6hd 3-18×50. My G7 currently sit atop a GW LR1000 in 7rm. I love this setup and its proven to be very accurate, durable and repeatable. The motive for going to leupold is to reduce overall weight of rig by 10 ounces. I will also be swapping out the McMillan stock in favor of new GW Clymer stock to further reduce weight of rig.
Will I be happy with the change? I primarily hunt mule deep in the backcountry. I limit shots on game to 500yrds but frequently shoot steel and rocks out to 1000. Thanks so much for your thoughts!
View attachment 158707 View attachment 158709
I've been hunting with a VX6 HD 4-24 for 3 years now. I've shot it regularly out to 500-1000 yards on steel. It's been on 3 different rifles , 2 LRMs and a 6.5 PRC and has tracked perfect everytime. The locking knobs and impact Reticle are great. The only limitation is the 2 turns on the elevation knob, 38 MOA, but with your 500 yard limit that shouldn't be an issue.

On the McMillan stock, you realize they make super light stocks as well. The Game Hunter on my 6.5 PRC is 23 ounces.

I've been hunting with a VX6 HD 4-24 for 3 years now. I've shot it regularly out to 500-1000 yards on steel. It's been on 3 different rifles , 2 LRMs and a 6.5 PRC and has tracked perfect everytime. The locking knobs and impact Reticle are great. The only limitation is the 2 turns on the elevation knob, 38 MOA, but with your 500 yard limit that shouldn't be an issue.

On the McMillan stock, you realize they make super light stocks as well. The Game Hunter on my 6.5 PRC is 23 ounces.

you should have 75 MOA of adjustment. If you run a 20MOA rail you'll have plenty to get way further.

IMO, the NF/G7 is a feature rich scope that is rugged and exceptionally reliable. I sold mine a few years back. In hind-site, I was nuts! I'm no longer inclined to trade off a 1-2 pound weight savings for the more important attributes.

Last edited:
Good to hear this.. I think the NX8 will be a contender in a lighter setup.
28.3 ounces. 31 for the comparable nxs. VX6 is 21 I believe. My NXS 5.5-22x56 is 32 according to the NF spec. It's weird how much heavier 10 ounces feels when in reality it isn't a lot, just feels like it on the rifle.

28.3 ounces. 31 for the comparable nxs. VX6 is 21 I believe. My NXS 5.5-22x56 is 32 according to the NF spec. It's weird how much heavier 10 ounces feels when in reality it isn't a lot, just feels like it on the rifle.

Agree that just a few ounces makes a big difference. VX6HD is tough to beat!

Agree that just a few ounces makes a big difference. VX6HD is tough to beat!
When I switched to Salomon boots, light weight high performance clothing, and lighter technologically advanced pack's, my hunting range was extended. I cannot believe the difference a pair of boots and pants made. I literally wore my old stuff back to back to see and feel the difference. Now when I pick up my old hunter compared to my newest build I am similarly shocked. A 10 lb long range hunter vs a 12.5 is surprisingly noticeable.

I faced a similar situation with a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt and an older Burris 6 - 12 x 50 Black Diamond scope.
SOLUTION: Sold the BrowningA-Bolt with scope.
Bought a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro and put a lighter Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with illuminated G3 reticle. Both there rifle and scope are lighter.

Eric B.

Hmmm...well if your limiting your hunting shots to 500, I'd just use the reticle for elevation adjustments and go with the vx6 or similar. With reticle of your choice. Maybe with capped turrets even..
If your not spinning turrets all the time its a lot less to go wrong with the scope. Loss of zero and fail to return to zero seem to be main failure points with many scopes that are not NF, Swfa, S and Bender , etc. Those are all heavy for a reason...it takes that to build them absolutely reliable.
Or build another purpose built lightweight rig. A lot less rifle will get the job done for your purpose if you wanted to go that route.

I thought they have 75 MOA?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.