NXS 50 vs 56 objective

The difference in exit pupil between a 50 to 56 is 2.54 to 2.27. You could say that is 10% OR you could figure it to matter more how the particular models are designed. A 50 could very well outperform a 56 due to design compromises even with IDENTICAL GLASS QUALITY. The only way to really tell is to use both in the field for 2 or 3 yrs minimum and use them in many differing conditions, lighting and areas.
That's the real truth.

It sure doesn't take me "2 or 3 yrs minimum" to check a scope on the chart or antlers and see one is or is not better than the other.

It sure doesn't take me "2 or 3 yrs minimum" to check a scope on the chart or antlers and see one is or is not better than the other.

Some conditions and situations don't pop up every day. Some people will be better served by a 50 and others a 56. What does BETTER mean anyway? May let 3% more light in but the eye box costs you a shot. All scopes are COMPROMISES AT BEST. I've run a 5.5 x 22 NXS in both sizes for yrs and cant really tell which one will be more suitable that exact day. I've never had my 56 make a shot the 50 couldn't. It would 99% likely be an illegal kill anyway. 50 mm NXS can see pretty late.

I have a NXS 5.5-22x50 and an ATACR 5-25x56 and I can say I can't tell much difference between light transmission. Both of them have excellent glass.

As far as scope brands, I have owned a lot and shot with a couple more. My personal decision is that all of my rifles will eventually wear NF or Swarovski scopes, budget willing. I own several other brands but I just feel that those two have the best glass FOR ME.

Another reason I like the NF scopes is the MOAR reticle. I just love it. I had both MOA and Mildot reticle scopes but decided to stick with MOA to avoid confusion or trying to figure out the difference in my head while shooting. I would suggest sticking with one type of measurement. I'm not a fan of the Huskemaw reticle although a lot of people like it. I think Vortex has a nice reticle for target but it is so fine I have lost it while hunting in low light conditions.

I, like you, am not a fan of FFP scopes. I guess its like trying to teach an old dog new tricks. I know the advantage of it for ranging but just can't get used to having such a small reticle at low magnification. Plus the extra cost of a FFP is not attractive when a SFP is already over $2K.

Greyfox makes a good point about scope height. My ATACR is a beast of a scope and sits 2" above the bore. My stock has a high comb to accommodate it. Here is a good video showing how to properly setup a scope. You should not be adjusting your head or cheek weld to align your eye to the scope.
Set Up Your Scope for Success

The price difference between the 50 and 56 is nominal so I would suggest shouldering your rifle and trying to determine if a 56 will work for you. I don't think you will go wrong either way.

i just wanted to thank you all for the input, i do appreciate it! i ended up with the 56mm objective and once this blizzard passes through, i will be heading out to the range gun)gun)

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 110
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but does anyone have any more input to give on the 50mm vs 56mm debate? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 5.5-22 NXS. My question is: Are the gains in light transmission with the 56mm objective great enough to overlook having to use a higher mount, and having to build up my comb height to afford a proper cheek weld? Thanks for the advice/wisdom. This scope will be mounted on a 700 Long Action with a Bell and Carlson Sporter stock.

-Bru

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but does anyone have any more input to give on the 50mm vs 56mm debate? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 5.5-22 NXS. My question is: Are the gains in light transmission with the 56mm objective great enough to overlook having to use a higher mount, and having to build up my comb height to afford a proper cheek weld? Thanks for the advice/wisdom. This scope will be mounted on a 700 Long Action with a Bell and Carlson Sporter stock.

-Bru
FWIW, you can mount the 56mm (assuming 30 mm tube) using the NF XTreme Duty Ultralite LOW rings, even with a Rem Sendero Contour Barrel, and still have room for the NF flip up lens covers. I have 2 of the SHV 5-20X56mm scopes mounted with these rings and it works perfectly. My scopes have 30mm tubes. I do have an adjustable cheek piece on my stocks, which I feel is needed for a perfect cheek weld with scopes with larger objective lenses.

LaHunter,

I would like to use the NF Direct Mount. Do you think the low mount (.885") will work with a 56mm objective?

-bru

Not sure about that. I have my low rings mounted to a pic rail on top of my M700 Action. Nightforce CS has been very helpful every time I have called them. I bet they could steer you in the right direction.

Not sure about that. I have my low rings mounted to a pic rail on top of my M700 Action. Nightforce CS has been very helpful every time I have called them. I bet they could steer you in the right direction.

thanks for that advice. I'm going to call nightforce CS in the morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.