Alaska Grizzly Bullet Choice

One bullet that I don't understand why it gets so little attention is the Woodliegh weld core.

They don't have a high BC, but neither do TBBC or Partitions. Yet they do stay together, penetrate deep if not through most game.

AK-GOAT-HNT where to you prefer to place the bullet on the brownies, detail, please! Thank you!
I like to put them a few inches behind the shoulder. I've also broken the shoulder on a few but had better results hitting a bit farther back. I've also been told that you can hit them a bit lower than you might want on other animals but I've never tested that.

One bullet that I don't understand why it gets so little attention is the Woodliegh weld core.

They don't have a high BC, but neither do TBBC or Partitions. Yet they do stay together, penetrate deep if not through most game.

Cause they were out of circulation from the fire for a really long time, and didn't get stuffed in a lot of factory ammo.

No criticism here of woodleigh bullets, I'm looking forward to them ramping production back up.

Well after becoming frustrated with the limitations of my Tikka actioned 300WM for trying other loads I am moving on. I am having a 300PRC barrel spun up for my BAT Vampire based 7PRC. Already using Hawkins Hunter 300PRC mags. So 203gr Hammer HHT and similar to be tried. Any 308 suggested bullets that benefit from a 300PRC barrel?
I want to second the 199 hammers in the 300 PRC. We have had some really great results with this bullet. Alaskan Moose, Buffalo in Montana, it was a canned hunt but the bullet still had to kill the Buffalo and the 199 did a fantastic job of that at 150 yards. I tired the 203 HHT's and had some mixed results on accuracy. Two would touch then a flyer. I haven't really played around with them enough yet to say, if you can get them to shoot I would say use them. I am a huge believer in Hammer Bullets from the results we have had from 22-250 up to my PRC's. I have not killed a grizzly with them so that I cannot speak to that but I can tell you, if I could afford it, I would not hesitate to use the 199's for a second on a big griz.

I've had game get away with Bergers…and what I thought was good shot placement…within 100 yards or so. While I've killed many animals with Bergers, I've had inconsistent results. That has been my experience, hence my previous post.

Shot placement is always king over bullet construction when it comes to these types of conversations. I'll be the first to admit nobody is perfect and eventually you will have an errant shot…me included!. I like my chances on a bad shot/bone with a mono or bonded any day of the week over a match type bullet. Experience has led to this conclusion for me.

Lastly, you mentioned blood trails…for me it's not so much the trail (although this is a side benefit) as the actual loss of blood profusion that will kill the animal if I manage to miss a vital organ. The faster the loss of blood, the faster the animal will expire. So, in this case 2, 4, or 6 holes is better than 1, 2, or 3 holes if you were to get off 1, 2, or 3 shots on target, respectively.
View attachment 543907

To each his own, and YMMV.
I'm amazed at how many people think that the bullet making it the last 1/16" through the far skin is going to make a drastic difference in how fast it bleeds to death.

#1 it has to be a kill shot....
How many record book bear,elk and moose have been killed with a 9.95$ box of Rem.cor-loc bullet....????...
Not advocating cheap bullets but making a point....
I`ve seen a guy with a 257 wby.mag.get excited and shoot a moose 11 times....with custom gun,custom loads and custom bullets.....
Probably was only wanting HAMBURGER on this trip?

I want to second the 199 hammers in the 300 PRC. We have had some really great results with this bullet. Alaskan Moose, Buffalo in Montana, it was a canned hunt but the bullet still had to kill the Buffalo and the 199 did a fantastic job of that at 150 yards. I tired the 203 HHT's and had some mixed results on accuracy. Two would touch then a flyer. I haven't really played around with them enough yet to say, if you can get them to shoot I would say use them. I am a huge believer in Hammer Bullets from the results we have had from 22-250 up to my PRC's. I have not killed a grizzly with them so that I cannot speak to that but I can tell you, if I could afford it, I would not hesitate to use the 199's for a second on a big griz.

Great feedback here! What was your muzzle velocity on the 199 HH's?

I am planning a brown bear hunt in near future. 375 H&H. Thinking of 300 grain Accubond or Partition. Your thoughts?
I agree with RH300UM. Either should be more than enough bullet, shot placement is the key. Make sure you can shoot the rifle proficiently and place the bullet in the kill zone and you will walk away a happy hunter. That's a lot of rifle for most guys, make sure you shoot it a lot before hand to make sure you don't get recoil sensitive with it. A blown shot on a grizzly can not only be very costly dollar wise but very dangerous as well. Good Luck and let us know how the hunt turns out.