Alaska Grizzly Bullet Choice

Upon further reflection most the last page. Spend to much time in a bear protection thread or a south central alaksa gun shop and you start wishing the bears were the mystical up armored monster they are presented to be.

In regards to a previous to an earlier post, a failure to fire in a glock pistol is 10 out of 10 times a problem with the ammo. In the last 13 years of gunsmithing I've yet to see something that leads me to believe something different. It's always someone who knows a guy who has a cousins uncle who handloads and can make you the perfect ammo. If you are the person who made that ammo, you are the cousins uncle. In regards to a great bullet to use, I believe ryan pierce got it done in very short order with a 30 cal 230 grain hybrid berger out of a 300 norma on a massive brown bear from a very short distance. Video evidence and everything. Don't overthink it, just don't bring a .243 and you'll be fine.

My Glock F to F wasn't an ammo problem. So the Glock that failed me must have been 1 out of 11.

Reliable semi-auto function is totally dependent on the ammo being fired. The ammo cycles the action.

Revolvers fire any ammo equally reliably, from light-powered ammo to full-powered bear loads. Same goes for pump action shotguns and bolt action rifles. Reliable with a broad range of ammo.

Last edited:
My Glock F to F wasn't an ammo problem. So the Glock that failed me must have been 1 out of 11.

Reliable semi-auto function is totally dependent on the ammo being fired. The ammo cycles the action.

Revolvers fire any ammo equally reliably, from light-powdered ammo to full-powered bear loads. Same goes for pump action shotguns and bolt action rifles. Reliable with a broad range of ammo.
Well, not quite. My 329pd locked up more due to mechanical problems than my cz p10 has. The few jams the cz has had were related to ammunition being used; never had a mechanical issue stopped it.

My 329 has;
* had the Hilary lock automatically engage while firing Buffalo bore 255gr "low recoil", ammo specifically designed for the 329pd. Froze the gun entirely until I found the key for the lock.
* had the cylinder lock into the frame due to the ejector rod backing out under recoil, making it impossible to reload. Again, locked the gun up until I figured out a way to work the ejector rod free from the detent in the frame.

My 870 likes to randomly decide not to cycle, and the only way to break it free is to spike the butt hard into the ground while holding onto the slide, and it will cycle. When my stoeger m3k automatic jams, it takes about as long to clear as spiking the 870 does.

Semi autos aren't the jam-o-matics that they were in the 80's and earlier, much as everyone likes to beat up on them.