375 ruger bullet choice

By the way, I know this website is dedicated to long range hunting, but if your going with an outfitter, you'd be hard pressed to find one that would let you take a 500 yd shot at a brownie. 100 yds is good, 50 is better. Brown bears are dangerous game, not prairie dogs.

A bear heart only beats like 10 times in 1 minute.......so if you don't break his shoulders down with the shot

he can cover alot of ground in 1 minute so 100 to 150 yards if possible is the best.

Last edited:
If I were to ever own a 375 H&H again or a 375Ruger I would load either a 270gr TSX, or 270gr Swift A-Frame and I would keep my shots to a max 300 yards and preferably under 250 yards on big bears.

Your velocity @ 300 yards will be down to just over 2000fps if you have a 2800fps muzzle velocity but your retained energy is still appr 2550 ft lbs which should reliably do the job but your bullet is now starting to drop very fast appr 9" low at 300 yards and 21" low at 400 yards if you are zeroed in @ 200 yards.........

I should imagine that any of the bullets you listed will work very well for your use. I recently worked up a load for a 375 Ruger using the 270 grain Barnes and IMR4007SSC. It was amazingly accurate and packs a serious wallop.

If I were using the accubond, I'd go with the 300. I've read too many questionable things about the lighter 338 and 375 accubonds. Mainly that they may not penetrate enough because of over expansion.

On the other hand, I'd have no problem with the 270 gn TSX. In fact that would be my first choice if it were accurate in the chosen rifle.

But many of the other mentioned bullets like North Fork, GS, Swift A-Frame, or the good ole Nosler partition are just as good or better. I'd use a 300 gn in each except the GS and TSX. Really don't think it is necessary there.

The trouble with the 300 gn GS HV is it needs a 12 or faster twist when used for dangerous game at close range. I'm not sure what the 300 TSX needs to reach a stability factor of 1.6. But A fast twist is best to keep those long bullets stable on impact.

At least that's what would make me most comfortable.

Last edited:
I have predominantly used the 270 grain TSX and the 260 gr Accubond on brown and black bears.

With the higher B.C. of the 260 Accubond and with the right propellant (RL17) you can reach velocities of 2950+. This makes it viable for longer ranges and turns your 375 Ruger into a 600 yard elk smasher.

That 270 TSX is a great bullet terminally, but the B.C. sucks. One might argue that your not shooting a 375 for longer range so who cares about the low B.C. I'll argue that the 375 Ruger is excellent for medium range work with the right equipment.

I have shot quite a few heavy boned critters with a 260 Accubond, and I have never had an instance of screwy bullet performance. Likewise with the 270 TSX. I shot a very large moose a couple years ago at 450 yards with the 260 Accubond and penetration was not an issue, I have also shot bears at ranges as close 75 yards that saw full penetration from an Accubond.

For close range bears and such, the TSX is my "go to" bullet. For moose and other animals that may require the use of the 375 at longer ranges I pick the Accubond. I have great loads for both bullets.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I am 65 now, I read a book called,"{ Ben East, Wilderness Survival and Dangerous Encounters). This book recounted true DG game hunts that had gone bad. Many of the stories were about grizzly bear hunts. One Alaskan guide outfitter stated that when shooting grizzly bears the shot should be no closer than 50 yards and no farther than 100. Closer than 50 yards the bear will probably locate you and charge, Your Dead. Farther than 100yards could mean a badly placed shot and muzzle energy down, the bear may charge and kill you. This rule, No closer than 50 no farther than 100 yards seems like a pretty good one to me even if you are using enough gun and a premium 270gr Barnes TSX.

I have predominantly used the 270 grain TSX and the 260 gr Accubond on brown and black bears.

With the higher B.C. of the 260 Accubond and with the right propellant (RL17) you can reach velocities of 2950+. This makes it viable for longer ranges and turns your 375 Ruger into a 600 yard elk smasher.

That 270 TSX is a great bullet terminally, but the B.C. sucks. One might argue that your not shooting a 375 for longer range so who cares about the low B.C. I'll argue that the 375 Ruger is excellent for medium range work with the right equipment.

I have shot quite a few heavy boned critters with a 260 Accubond, and I have never had an instance of screwy bullet performance. Likewise with the 270 TSX. I shot a very large moose a couple years ago at 450 yards with the 260 Accubond and penetration was not an issue, I have also shot bears at ranges as close 75 yards that saw full penetration from an Accubond.

For close range bears and such, the TSX is my "go to" bullet. For moose and other animals that may require the use of the 375 at longer ranges I pick the Accubond. I have great loads for both bullets.

Great thread! I found this googling for TSX 375 load data.

Would you care to share your loads?

Also, are you using the Hornady dies, and do you neck size or full length?

I'm shooting a Ruger Alaskan.

With the higher B.C. of the 260 Accubond and with the right propellant (RL17) you can reach velocities of 2950+

Curious as to what barrel length you are using to get these velocities with a 375Ruger in my 21" barreled 375RUM I'm getting 3020fps with RL17...

Great thread! I found this googling for TSX 375 load data.

Would you care to share your loads?

Also, are you using the Hornady dies, and do you neck size or full length?

I'm shooting a Ruger Alaskan.

I use the Hornady dies and I normally neck size until the brass won't easily chamber.

For the 375 Ruger RL15 is your friend. Something around 74 to 75 grains should work well for the 260 Accubond, and the 270 TSX.

My most accurate load for the 270 TSX is 74.3 grains of RL15 loaded to 3.313 COAL with a CCI 250 in a Hornady case. 74.5 -74.7 should work well for the Accubond. The Accubond should be around 2825-2840 fps and the TSX at 2750-2775 fps

I'm still working with RL17. I had to put the load work on hold. My 375 is getting teflon coated. From what I've seen, it isn't hard to get 100 fps over RL15.

Here is some a great thread about RL17 in the 375 Ruger.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4069786/Re_375_ruger

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for the great info.

I hate to do it, but you mentioned another real hot button for me - my Ruger "Alaskan" spent only one week in Alaska, and despite daily rub downs with oil, started to rust! I couldn't believe it!

Is this why you're having yours down? Please share all the dirty details on that too! You're a few steps ahead of me and I LOVE not having to learn everything from scratch. Saves so much time... thanks in advance.

Excellent, thanks for the great info.

I hate to do it, but you mentioned another real hot button for me - my Ruger "Alaskan" spent only one week in Alaska, and despite daily rub downs with oil, started to rust! I couldn't believe it!

Is this why you're having yours down? Please share all the dirty details on that too! You're a few steps ahead of me and I LOVE not having to learn everything from scratch. Saves so much time... thanks in advance.

Mine is the African version and I've spent quite a bit of time maintaining the rust away on some remote trips. It can get moist in a hurry.

I bought the African because I got a great price on it and I like the extra barrel length, and I've seen several of these Rugers shoot extremely well, but the rust maintenance can get a bit tedious.

Anyway, I happen to know the owner of Black Ice coatings. He's done a fantastic job on a couple of my guns. Since this is my primary Alaska gun I decided to have it coated. It's also getting a new stock to complete the weather proofing.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I think Black Ice is the solution I found when this first happend ~ 2 years ago. Since I'm back from the salt water environment I haven't really looked into the problem again, but I'm glad to hear a good review. It seems Chuck Hawks has a very high impression of the service as well.

I'd love to see pictures of yours when it's done!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.