Affordable starter/donor rifle

I would get a pawn shop Rem 700, aftermarket triggers, stocks abound, and magazine options abound. Options are endless, including action-wrench types.

I would not choose any action with metric threads, choices on a re-barrel get more limited.

I would not choose a Ruger American anything after owning a 223.

OP, what you are wanting to do is buy something that is a platform for later changes, so plan in advance....buy a Remington pawn shop or used secondary market used rifle. The rifle will end up being a lifetime of memories. Biden could stop the import of all rifles coming into the country, been done before.

If you want to save some money go the savage route as you can "build" it over the years in your garage without sending to a smith.

I would go glass first on the upgrades as you won't be anywhere even close to needing a new barrel in 4 year time period is my guess. Only caveat here would be not finding the cartridge in the platform you want then in that case swapping the barrel first would be the route I'd go.

Another vote for a fast twist 7-08 as it is a great "utility" cartridge that will be capable of everything you are wanting the rifle to do plus the factory ammo option if you don't handload.
Cabela's had a really good price on them a couple of weeks ago.

I like everything about the tikka except the magazines. The stock is ok.. not stellar. So I guess if you like upgrading, there's room for improvement.

Mine shoots just ok (1.25 to 1.5 moa) with most loads but about .5 to .7 moa with what it does like. Its a little picky.

Thing is, every factory rifle I own and have ever owned has at least one load that will shoot .75 moa after all the usual accurizing tricks, some much much better. Pick your favorite (most affordable long term, most modular, whatever you're looking for) platform.

My parents bought me a Savage 110 in 270 when I was 12 (legal age to hunt big game in CO) and it has taken, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Elk, and a Sitka Deer when stationed in AK. Love the rifle and still have that same rifle today, 25 years later and still as accurate as its when it was new. Over the years I've upgraded the stock and cerekoted it. Have been pondering the idea of a rebarrel to 280 AI or turning it into a 7mm PRC. I have a ton of rifles but can attest to the quality, accuracy, and reliability of that rifle for the last 25 years.

I cannot speak for the American but I know a few that build on M77s. @Alibiiv has one in .270 AI. I have two M77 MKIIs, and will be doing a project build when it is due for a re-barrel.
Both of the attached targets are Ruger 77, tang safety rifles. The target on the left is in 30-06 @ 100 yards and the one on the right is a .270 Ackley Improved. I was told by a few gunsmiths that the Ruger 77 platform was not a good platform for building a rifle and that they would not take on the job. I found a gunsmith in Montana who liked working on Ruger 77s and who proved that to be incorrect. I've always liked the mechanics, the look and the feel of the Ruger 77 and will continue to build rifles using them. My latest acquisition is a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in .450 Bushmaster, haven't had time to take it to the range. I don't believe that I will be doing much to this rifle other than to float and glass bed the barrel and pillar bed the rear action screw.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 35
Lots of feedback on this one, all good. I'd recommend the model 700. I used the Ruger M77 Hawkeye for my son, it has an adjustable stock length as they get older. Also has a sweet barrel.

However, before I did that I refurbished a model 700. Happy to send it to you, no charge, caliber is 30-06, right hand model. PM me if you like and I'll get it to you. -Scott

Good Morning!

Here's my plan, and I need you suggestions.

I'd like to buy my son an affordable "starter" gun that he can hunt with for a few years. He's 10, this year he killed his first deer with a Ruger American in 6.5CM. My plan is to upgrade the rifle over the years for major milestones (new barrel at 16, new stock at 18, new scope at 21, other bits/pieces along the way for stellar report cards or seasons).

My request from you folks is suggestions for an affordable starter rifle (I don't necessarily care about which cartridge, we can get into that later, although I like the idea of .270). He will be hunting mule deer, elk and black bear. Which starter rifle provides the easiest modularity and is affordable to get him into his own rifle? Initial thoughts would be any of the Savage 110's for modularity, but that's not what I would necessarily consider affordable for a kids gun. Would the Axis II be as modular?

Thanks everyone. If you have links to threads with builds off an affordable platform, please share.
Why not a Remington 700 ?

Both of the attached targets are Ruger 77, tang safety rifles. The target on the left is in 30-06 @ 100 yards and the one on the right is a .270 Ackley Improved. I was told by a few gunsmiths that the Ruger 77 platform was not a good platform for building a rifle and that they would not take on the job. I found a gunsmith in Montana who liked working on Ruger 77s and who proved that to be incorrect. I've always liked the mechanics, the look and the feel of the Ruger 77 and will continue to build rifles using them. My latest acquisition is a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in .450 Bushmaster, haven't had time to take it to the range. I don't believe that I will be doing much to this rifle other than to float and glass bed the barrel and pillar bed the rear action screw.
I agree, Rugers are great, especially the new Hawkeyes with adj. triggers

What I did for my kid is probably backwards but I got a mdt chassis and put a old ugly used 700 in it with the idea that he can upgrade to his heart's content but it fits him now and will fit him later and the action can be worked on or even replaced with custom action. The main thing I wanted something that fit him well and he won't outgrow

As someone who bought a cheap SKS as my first hunting rifle at a young age I have to go against the grain here. AR 15 variants and calibers have come a long way and are a decent affordable and easily modified option. From adjustable stocks to easily swapped out uppers and garage friendly modifications the AR checks all the boxes. And this comes from one of John Moses Browning's great nephews.
I agree, kinda. 😎
I built an AR and he lusts over that thing, until he's carried it for 1/2 mile coyote hunting and then he's wishing he brought the 243. If I could find the components to build a 6 lbs (bare) AR in a modern caliber with 20" barrel, I'd be all over it.

I have built rifles on both the Tikka and Axis actions.

If this is going to be a rifle he can eventually grow old with, then the Tikka easily gets my nod. Although the actions are more expensive than the Savage Axis, they are smooth as glass and have the ability to take shoulder pre-fit barrels you can install yourself. This feature alone will save you $300-$400 in gunsmithing when you want a custom barrel. I use my Tikka as a swap barrel rifle with CF barrels in both 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM. You can pick up used Tikkas for around $625 on gunbroker.

The Savage Axis is a great little rifle on its own. They tend to be accurate out of the box and very inexpensive. Cabelas/Bass Pro usually have a sale on them on Black Friday (you just missed it). With the Savage rebate, you will have a Savage Axiss II combo (cheap scope) out the door for right around $300. Bolt action can be a little rough - but can be worked on. Upgraded stocks are very limited (no high end stocks that I am aware of), but there are some mid-tier in polymer and wood laminate materials. Pre-fit barrels are available, but only the barrel nut conversion style that also require go/no go gauges. But this route still saves you a lot on gunsmitthing by swapping barrels at home. I did this several years back wih an Axis II in 243 that I converted to a 22 Creedmoor. Patriot Valley Arms SS barrel with a Boyds laminated stock. It will never measure up to my custom rifles, but it is a very accurate rifle.

The Savage 110 action is also an option, but getting into one via a donor rifle is getting up there in price that you are in striking distance of a Tikka used rifle. Send me a PM if you have more questions. I would be happy to share what I have learned.
This is incredible, I'm always amazed at the generosity of the folks on this forum, this kind of information can save a guy a LOT of time, money and frustration.

Thank you!

Lots of feedback on this one, all good. I'd recommend the model 700. I used the Ruger M77 Hawkeye for my son, it has an adjustable stock length as they get older. Also has a sweet barrel.

However, before I did that I refurbished a model 700. Happy to send it to you, no charge, caliber is 30-06, right hand model. PM me if you like and I'll get it to you. -Scott
I'm not sure I read this correctly…. PM inbound.

Recent Posts