Advice on 338 Savage build- action

BrentM

If I were to build a 338 Lapau will a LA with magnum bolt face suffice? Will standard shank work as well or do I need the large shank?

No, the Lapua uses a larger bolt face. Standard magnum is .540". Lapua is .585".

You will have to have the bolt face opened up, or start with a rifle that came from the factory as a .338 Lapua.

I would also go with the largest shank possible.

Also, unless you have a true need for a .338 Lapua sized caliber, I wouldn't waste my money on it. But it's your rifle and your money.... If you're planning on hunting and shooting inside of 1,200 yards, the .300 WinMag or .300 RUM with handloads and heavy bullets is more than enough gun. But that is just my opinion.

Most people who build big boomers don't truly have a need for them, then they get tired of feeding them 120+ grains of powder and expensive projectiles, buying $5.00 a piece brass, and dealing with the massive recoil and percussion, and having to wear earplugs while hunting. Which is why you always see alot of them on the used racks at gun shops. You find alot of big .300's and .338's sitting on racks around here. But we don't have huge game animals, or very many really long places to shoot, that would warrant such a caliber.

Unless you just want one....In which case, I have been guilty of building rifles outside of my "needs" spectrum, just because I wanted them. Was it practical? No. Was it expensive? You bet. But once you get the rifle and all the reloading components paid for, it's not too bad.

It is for a friend actually. I don't want a 338 anything personally because all the things you mentioned. He is set on big and bad to the bone I guess.

It is for a friend actually. I don't want a 338 anything personally because all the things you mentioned. He is set on big and bad to the bone I guess.
I had a buddy like that.....All he talked about building was a .338 Lapua, because that's what the military uses, and blah blah blah. I would always ask him, "So, what and where are you gonna hunt with that big bastard?" And he never had much of a response.

Until he hung around me and my toys at the range enough, and got to see real first-hand results. Then he realized that sometimes bigger isn't always badder. :D

Just like the old .25-06 AI vs .257 Wby arguement. I have both, so I can argue with folks on it. LOL

Same arguement about .300 Wby vs .300 RUM. 7mm STW vs 7mm RUM. .260 Rem vs 6.5 Creed.

There's always atleast 2 calibers so close in velocity that it's almost pointless to argue about. But people will, and it's always an ongoing battle. LOL

He is a young buck and thinks he is all SF/spec ops level sort of guy. Nice guy just a little too full of himself. I told him about my experience at the Vortex Challenge and he decided to coach me so I can do better. FYI, he does not use a range finder or ballistic apt to shoot LR. He goes by the artillery method.....ha ha. I don't care what he shoots, he will be the one pulling the trigger. I don't want to shoot it : ) It would be fun building it though.

If u don't mind single shot go with the savage target action and on a savage u can just swap out the bolt head to whatever size u need. Costs about 13 bucks to go from standard bolt face to magnum or lapua

My advise would be to get a factory Savage 338 Lapua if you need a Savage, the action is designed to handle it other wise grab a Stiller Tac 338!!

If I ever had another .338 it would be the RUM..... Savage Target Actions can be had at 3rd Generation Shooting Supplies. I bought one earlier this year it was $525.00 plus $7.95 shipping to my FFL.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.